Poor playback quality

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

I am planning to set up a media browser biased set up in my new house and have gotten the server to work and play on the desktop app and windows phone app. I can stream with great quality to my windows phone and to my tablet with the desktop theater app  at the same time. But when I try to use the windows 8.1 app on the same tablet the quality is very bad. I tried all 4 streaming quality settings to see if that had any effect and nothing. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks in advance

-Lee

(update)

I started the server and played the beginning of a movie on the metro app, desktop app, and phone app. here are the three files it produced.

ffmpeg-14f5646f-8434-431e-a97a-6fd0510d7a49.txt

ffmpeg-a66f6082-1618-45ad-bec8-33faa5ffe350.txt

server-63527231452.log

Edited by roberthleeii

• 2 weeks later...
roberthleeii

What formats are supported for all the different apps and devices.

I think most of mine are mp4 h.264 aac

7illusions

If you're playing a mp4 h264 aac, try setting the transcoding quality to Max. That should stream the file without transcoding, just a streamcopy which takes a lot less cpu.

roberthleeii

So I have figured out that my problem is in the transcoding. My server is on an older computer and most of my videos max out the CPU. This only happens when transcoding for the windows store app and not on my windows phone app. The Windows phone app still transcodes but it does not tax the CPU as much. I dont now what the difference is but my computer does not like it.

Are there any settings or options I can change to make the windows app playable until I can upgrade my computer?

7illusions

The apps default transcoding setting is set to use max quality by default.

To change this, bring out the charms menu and click Settings -> Streaming and choose a lower quality setting.

Edited by 7illusions

roberthleeii

Thank you for the response!

I have actually played with that setting it does make it better on a lower setting but it still unwatchable.

if your server is older you might want to consider pre-encoding your videos in formats that don't require transcoding.