Is Emby going to work for me?

acrylic

Hi guys,

I run a CentOS 7 server which hosts Teamspeak and Owncloud on the host, and I have 3x CS:GO servers and a Mail server running on the VM guests.

I purchased an SSL cert for my domain, which covers www. and the root domain. I force any traffic to go over port 443, therefore using the SSL cert. Also any traffic destined for port 80 or 443 will redirect to my Owncloud.

This caused a problem with Plex, as it likes to use it's own SSL certs for logging you in.

I am looking at trying out Emby instead, but I want to make sure it's going to work first, I want to run it on my host as that is where I store all my media.

My main questions are:

1 - Can I force this to use a different port with a self signed cert?

2 - Does Emby try to use it's own certificates at all (as in Emby.media domain SSL's)?

Thanks for reading!

Josh

You can also select your own HTTPS port.

Sent from my phone!

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I am thinking I won't actually need to use a new port, provided I can install it to mydomain.com/emby/... and I should even be able to use my purchased SSL.

That would work, right?

thatoneguy99

I am not versed on this as well as I would like to be. I don't use SSL. One thing I can say is Emby is extremely easy to install. I hate to be that guy, but I would like to throw out there, that it wouldn't be hard at all to give it a shot. 

Maybe someone else will chime in. Having the option to use your own SSL cert seems to be what you were looking for. As far as being able to forward a port to a subdomain name vice the actual port number is beyond me as well. Something I may look into but I know when using the various apps it asks for the port number, never tried to put a subdomain in there. You can use your domain name instead of the IP address. That is what I do.

Good luck to you.

hi @@acrylic, the screen linked to above is exactly where you want to go. You can specify your own SSL cert as well as choose whatever public facing port you prefer. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

BAlGaInTl

@@acrylic, I just set up an Emby server in a docker over the last few days.  It's really easy, and free to try out.

I'm a Plex user myself and I'm pretty confident I will be migrating completely soon.

FWIW, I set it up with a self-signed cert first, but then I got a free letsencrypt cert, and that is working fine everywhere except the Android TV app for me.

Give it a shot.