Anybody Tempted by Ryzen 7

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

Reviews are looking good on the new Ryzen 7 chips from AMD - although we have to wait a week or so for the independant reviews

Linus seams impressed - LOL

Be interesting to see if Intel respond with any price drops  :blink:

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I'm interested but don't have the funds. Once I finish my current build i plan on rebuilding the current server for gaming.

Guest asrequested

Actually, I'm reconsidering. I don't want one for my HTPC, I want the GPU...BUT.....A 16 thread CPU for the server? YES! But there aren't enough motherboards for them, yet.

Edited by Doofus

PrincessClevage

Actually, I'm reconsidering. I don't want one for my HTPC, I want the GPU...BUT.....A 16 thread CPU for the server? YES! But there aren't enough motherboards for them, yet.

guy on the video said 80+ motherboards available on launch

Guest asrequested

guy on the video said 80+ motherboards available on launch

I only use Gigabyte, and they presently only have 5. 

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/AMD-Socket-AM4

and the one I would buy, is $299

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GIGABYTE-GA-AX370-Gaming-Motherboard-Motherboards/dp/B06WLMWYMF/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1488072508&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AGigabyte%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2057457011

Edited by Doofus

overClocked!

Boy. I'm really excited about this. But I know that 1st gen chips and mobos for them usually have some defects they eliminate in successor versions. But my Emby server right now is an AMD Phenom II X2 Black edition, so even the lowest model Ryzen 7 is going to be light years ahead of what I'm used to. My only question will be if Emby will eventually support hardware acceleration for the AMD GPUs the way it does for Intel QuickSync.

Edited by overClocked!

PenkethBoy

Boy. I'm really excited about this. But I know that 1st gen chips and mobos for them usually have some defects they eliminate in successor versions. But my Emby server right now is an AMD Phenom X2 Black edition, so even the lowest model Ryzen 7 is going to be light years ahead of what I'm used to. My only question will be if Emby will eventually support hardware acceleration for the AMD GPUs the way it does for Intel QuickSync.

You might wait a long time as i am fairly sure Ryzen does not have an internal GPU  :P

overClocked!

You might wait a long time as i am fairly sure Ryzen does not have an internal GPU :P

Well, I was referring to AMD graphics cards with VCE rather than the Ryzen CPU itself. I have typically used nvidia graphics cards in the past, but seems like quick sync is the only supported hardware encoder/transcoded Emby supports at the moment (please correct me if I am wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swynol

they have confirmed that they are releasing a ryzen cpu with inbuilt gpu and specific laptop and server cpus in the near future

• Like 1

all4dom

Does anyone have an opinion on using the new amd 7 1700 ryzen processor instead of intel i5? This would be for a home server for emby running windows 10 pro.

Guest asrequested

Does anyone have an opinion on using the new amd 7 1700 ryzen processor instead of intel i5? This would be for a home server for emby running windows 10 pro.

That's the one I am considering, well, the 1700X. I'm liking the idea of 16 threads at a low price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3W9NGG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edited by Doofus

Diedrich

We'll have to see the benchmarks once the embargo is lifted. Keep an eye out on Paul's Hardware, Bitwit and Gamers Nexus on YouTube as I'm sure they will no doubt have performance comparisons of Team Green vs Team Red.

all4dom

I was wondering if the7 1700 ryzen processor would be as efficient as an i5 energy wise. Im not looking for a big utility bill. Only thing that sucks is it is more $ then the i5.

PenkethBoy

compare the Wattage for the cpu i think the 1700 is 65w and the other Ryzen's  95w IIRC - Linus says in the video in the first post

also the m/b and other addins will have an effect if not the same

Currently the only drawback are mostly motherboards not being optimal build yet to support the CPU's, resulting in BSODs.

Benchmarks are all over the place from what I have seen, some report high FPS, some low with same hardware, same software...

Also AMD "Claims" that the CPU is build to support 1440p BETTER then 1080p, while this doesn't make any sense I wonder what results will be for the general user.

I doubt people will only buy them for gaming, as work related jobs can be a totally different result on those. Currently you see Crisys related games, Cinebench and general Benchmark software, but how does it play with video editing, Photo editing, CAD-alike software (3D) and other things that people use...

Without further ado (the saying EVERY reviewer start with and I got bored of) let's see how this turns out in day-to-day-use :)

Diedrich

It's killing in multi-threaded applications but blowing in games. Unfortunately it's not the end-all CPU that we were hoping for, but for all those heavily threaded programs it's a no-brainer.

PenkethBoy

It way too early to say if its good in games or not as the game's code does not take account of the new cpu features along with bios updates to the new m/b will take a few months to sort out as well.

The bench marks are all over the place because it very dependant on the supporting hardware which is all new as well

Actually for a first pass its not too bad - and if AMD are serious about all this the improvements will come - they have Intel worried - with price drops - so thats a plus point on its own :)

all4dom

Does anyone have an opinion on the ryzen since it has been released. I'm wondering if its worth it to make a server with this instead of an I5. 

Swynol

i think its still early yet. also i think its difficult to compare to an i5 as the i5 prices are cheaper and the mobo prices are cheaper plus there's more choice. But saying that the Ryzen has more threads and is more comparable to an i7.

so it will all depend on.

1. Is the server just for Emby?

2. How many streams do you want to be able to watch at once?

3. Money your willing to spend

I'm looking to upgrade in the near future. I'm currently running an 3 series i3. And this is what i am basing my upgrade on.

1. It will need to run emby and other web services

2. It needs to handle a min of 4 streams (i would like it to handle 8)

3. Money wise i dont want to spend huge amounts. i5 is the cheapest option followed by Ryzen then i7

4. I currently use quicksync so would i be better using an i5 with quicksync or a Ryzen without it.

I know this isnt really a straight forward answer, but i think i'm leaning towards an i5 as i can keep my mobo and just find a cheap second had 3 series i5 to tie me over for a year or so until either the Ryzen prices drop or the newer i5/i7 prices drop. 

Dont forget that AMD are releasing server and laptop versions of their Ryzen's soon. the Server versions will lack the integrated GPU so their prices may be lower. 

• 3 weeks later...