Use 'native' tvheadend stream as default (so without Emby/ffmpeg transcoding)

_Alex_

Hi, 

I use tvheadend as a backend for live tv in Emby (3.1.201, linux).

When playing the tvheadend-streams via Emby (webinterface), Emby starts using ffmpeg causing  high cpu load  (no matter what resolution I choose).

( note that when playing streams from tvheadend directly (without transcoding), cpu usages stays limited.)

So:

• what am i trying to accomplish: Make the tvheadend live-stream be played in Emby, without using ffmpeg to transcode (at least, not all the time. I only need transcoding when streaming to mobile).
  • where I am getting stuck: Emby always transcodes the stream, not matter what resolution I select.

Is there any way to make Emby try displaying the tvheadend stream as a default, and encode only when requested ( for example for a mobile stream?).

Thanks,

Alex.

Edited by _Alex_

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your reaction. I will get the logfiles (probably tomorrow) and post when watching live tv, just as you suggest.

However, one quick question before that:

• Does the system by default, always transcodes when watching live tv, or not?

This question is just for my understanding, and to have an insight into if the behavior I see is the 'default/designed behavior' , or is there indeed something strange?.

Thanks,

Alex.

Edited by _Alex_

Not necessarily. It mostly depends on the format of the incoming stream vs. the supported formats of the app or device you're playing from.

Hi,

Attached are the logfiles while watching life tv on my linux emby server ( with tvheadend as a backend).

The logfiles are from watching live tv ( bbc news in this example).

When watching live tv, Emby transcodes the streams, using ffmpeg, leading to high cpu load.

Thanks for any advise.

Alex.

ffmpeg-transcode-0ffb0210-7840-410d-9b7d-8fe20f9582c8.txt

server-63623739085.txt

pünktchen

( note that when playing streams from tvheadend directly (without transcoding), cpu usages stays limited.)

Please explain this in more detail. Where, in what player do you play your TVHeadend streams without transcoding?

You didn't say what Emby app you were playing from, but if this is the web app, then this is expected behavior based on the format of the input.

There is currently no web browser that supports mpeg2video, therefore it requires transcoding.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your reply. I think I mentioned watching in the webinterface in my first post above.

Anyhow, this means than that indeed transcoding is the expected behavior, so that explains a lot !

I will also try using another client and see the difference.

Thanks,

Alex.