Free option for TV guide data?

gleep52

gleep52

Is there an option to not have to pay to get guide data?  I know it's silly to ask since it's not rediculously priced, but considering the "live channels" app on my nvidia shield has tv guide data and populates all the channels properly is free - it seems weird to have to pay for this guide service that doesn't work 100% to start with when it's obviously free elsewhere... Anyone?

Is there an option to not have to pay to get guide data? I know it's silly to ask since it's not rediculously priced, but considering the "live channels" app on my nvidia shield has tv guide data and populates all the channels properly is free - it seems weird to have to pay for this guide service that doesn't work 100% to start with when it's obviously free elsewhere... Anyone?

I'm using zap2xml with great success.

http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

I just run it on cron and direct emby to the xmltv.xml file

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This data does cost money, it's just that google is able to absorb that cost because they believe they can make money off you elsewhere.

gleep52

wow - THIS is great.  Thank you so much!

Now if I could just figure out what channel mappings to do, I'd be set!  Nothing seems to pull my TV Guide data properly except our nVidia Shield Live TV app - that populates almost all the important stuff... 

• Like 1

gleep52

This data does cost money, it's just that google is able to absorb that cost because they believe they can make money off you elsewhere.

Bazinga! :)

Is $26/yr too much to ask to support all the work that goes into gathering and providing this data for you?

• Like 1

Is $26/yr too much to ask to support all the work that goes into gathering and providing this data for you?

Which provider?

gleep52

After all the work I've put into the solution bigd271 recommended... it's a bit disheartening, especially since I had to map every one of my 88 channels manually and the paid option of 26 a year didn't notice my clear QAM lineup either.  :(

Then I'd have to start all over and am unsure how all my scheduled recordings I've already setup will transfer or such if I change the guide data...?

gleep52

Which provider?

Schedules Direct I think is the one he's referring to at 25 bucks a month  Year.

I just switched back to it, but can't get more than 7 days of data... I really need 14 :/  

I have it set to 14 in Emby settings, but I only get guide data up until 7 days out, then it's all blank after that.

Edit - wording :/

Edited by gleep52

gleep52

Just for clarification - it is $26 per year.

my bad - I meant year - only was correcting the 25 not 26 IF it was the same service you were referring too.  I just set it up and remapped all my channels to it.  I guess that pushes the initial starting price for Emby above the sale on Plex now... but I'm getting the feeling it's worth it.  The responses and swiftness in this community is incredible in itself.

• 5 months later...
aptalca

I realize the questions were from a while ago, but if you run the zap2xml script with the "-I" option, it retrieves the image urls and puts them in the xmltv.xml and emby uses them so you get the program thumbs and banners

• 1 year later...
MSattler

Yes, because Plex provides it for free?

• Like 1

gleep52

Exactly put.  Now that Plex provides the data (for free) too, now it's something that competition should bring down the prices, right?  :/

It isn't free.  You must have a Plex Pass.

We may get to the same point of inclusion in the future.

Sammy

Plex is closed source and I'm not sure how they pay Gracenote for Guide Data with the revenue from PlexPass..

Additionally, their guide doesn't work for HDHR Premium TV and it won't load an xmltv created from epg123.

I've been paying $25 a year for Schedules Direct Guide Data for going on three years now and don't mind paying for it either. Some things just aren't free.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

For me, paying $25 per year for the convenience that Schedules Direct provides is more than worth it to me. It breaks down to around $2.08 per month.

I have messed with the do it yourself EPG guide data in the past and it is a lot of work to setup and maintain. 

"Give me convenience or give me death!"

Plex is closed source and I'm not sure how they pay Gracenote for Guide Data with the revenue from PlexPass..

Additionally, their guide doesn't work for HDHR Premium TV and it won't load an xmltv created from epg123.

I've been paying $25 a year for Schedules Direct Guide Data for going on three years now and don't mind paying for it either. Some things just aren't free.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The guide data will work for Plex if you are a pacific customer.  You just setup your OTA using a cable provider which will have your OTA plus the Premium Lineup.

If you are east coast then it's not doable inside Plex (right now) without using an external XML file.

However, you can pull 4 hours worth (or more with HDHomeRun DVR subscription) from the HDHomeRun software with a freeware app which can then be fed back into Plex.

Personally I think Zap2XML is the easiest method.  You just setup a "west coast" account and "favorite" only the channel lineups that are pacific then use a local cable setup in your ZipCode for all your local OTA and east coast premium channels.  Then you just map them in Emby.

Personally I think SD should provide an updated 14 day XML file for the 35 channels they offer.  They just need to produce two different versions of the file.  No reason they can't provide this since they are already charging a monthly fee for the service PLUS already have this data and know how to work with it.  Doh :)

Sammy

The guide data will work for Plex if you are a pacific customer.  You just setup your OTA using a cable provider which will have your OTA plus the Premium Lineup.

If you are east coast then it's not doable inside Plex (right now) without using an external XML file.

However, you can pull 4 hours worth (or more with HDHomeRun DVR subscription) from the HDHomeRun software with a freeware app which can then be fed back into Plex.

Personally I think Zap2XML is the easiest method.  You just setup a "west coast" account and "favorite" only the channel lineups that are pacific then use a local cable setup in your ZipCode for all your local OTA and east coast premium channels.  Then you just map them in Emby.

Personally I think SD should provide an updated 14 day XML file for the 35 channels they offer.  They just need to produce two different versions of the file.  No reason they can't provide this since they are already charging a monthly fee for the service PLUS already have this data and know how to work with it.  Doh :)

No cable provider near me closely represents the listings and this is a ton of work to do. If I use Uverse near me, I have to remap all the Premium TV channels. If I use Comcast, it is hundreds of miles from me and then the locals are all wrong as it is in a different geographical area. Neither is perfect and both are a PITA.

Nah, it's not a ton of work.  It's quite easy and takes about a half hour start to finish and then it just works.  You can use Seattle Wa and New York and for Premium (west and east coast). Then just use your normal OTA listing.

Except for the local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and maybe PBS your listing will be same as anything in your timezone.  If you don't care about sports then even your primary affiliates could be picked up from a different city in the same time zone for the most part.  All the premium channels are national or timezone based so the exact zipcode you use doesn't matter.

If you're running your server on Windows and have 20 to 30 minutes to spare and have/can install TeamViewer on the machine I can remote in with you while talking on the phone and help you set this up as it's super easy when you know what to do. PM if you want a hand.  Won't cost a dime.

Worst case is you just setup

1 ) local OTA channels XML file

2) Premium East coast XML file

3) Premium West coast XML file

source can be a combination of Zap2It and TV Guide.

Carlo

PS remapping 35 channels is nothing and quite quick.

Edited by cayars

• 4 weeks later...
apache07x

Has there been any movement in this? I'm using schedule direct but it's only allowing me to use 2 local guides to map my channels and I need to use more for all of the channels I have. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I personally wouldn't mind having an option in emby even if I have to pay a little for it. Already paying SD. Also something that i can adjust what channels my m3u shows would be nice as well I'm using xtream editor for that now. It's a PITA to have to use all of these different sources to get the end result. Would be nice to use it all in emby even if the lifetime cost went up some or was a small monthly added it would be worth it to me personally.

Has there been any movement in this? I'm using schedule direct but it's only allowing me to use 2 local guides to map my channels and I need to use more for all of the channels I have. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I personally wouldn't mind having an option in emby even if I have to pay a little for it. Already paying SD. Also something that i can adjust what channels my m3u shows would be nice as well I'm using xtream editor for that now. It's a PITA to have to use all of these different sources to get the end result. Would be nice to use it all in emby even if the lifetime cost went up some or was a small monthly added it would be worth it to me personally.

I'm not sure our providing data to you is necessarily going to solve your issue.  Why do you require so many different lineups?

• 7 months later...
bitteronthefruit

After this, I'm still confused. Why isn't there a site where I pay a fee, they give me a xml file url to give to Emby to extract guide data from? This is all very complicated imho.