Preview Build - Music Request

Vitale4

Vitale4

I was reviewing the Preview Build for the ROKU with the intent to play some music.  Was wondering if there was a way to be able to play and/or shuffle music for all albums and songs.  Meaning - Be able to simply get to the music page and click Play - to allow the playing of every song in my catalog of music.  Even allow for it to shuffle or randomly play the songs and not simply go through the music album by album.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
botbswco

I would like to second the request for a shuffle play of an entire music library.  I am a newby and have read some other posts on organizing libraries that seem to indicate that Emby likes to have objects compartmentalized into relatively small compartments, i.e. folders.  I can understand that requirement if it reflects a limitation of the Roku player.  In my case, I have roughly 8000+ tracks from 400-500 Albums.  Given my druthers, I'd prefer to have a folder structure that divided the tracks according to categories I assign, rather than albums, genre, artist, etc.  But, whether the organization is 10 folders for my 10 categories, or the 400-500 folders divided among my 10 folders, I'd still love to have a way to shuffle play the entire library rather than just one folder, genre, album, etc.  In fact, if I really had my druthers, I'd like to build a playlist based on criteria rather than picking individual items.  Something like, Play all tracks not played in 90 days and not in folder x or genre Y.  Yes, there is a media player/server that does this (Media Monkey) but they don't have a Roku App.

Thanks for considering.

Hi there, yes we plan to add shuffling and play all to every single list screen. we're getting there. thanks for the feedback.

I'd still love to have a way to shuffle play the entire library rather than just one folder, genre, album, etc. 

image.png

Highlight your entire music library and press PLAY on your Roku remote. It will shuffle the entire library.

botbswco

Thank you speechless and luke for your replies.  Using the Beta app, I tried as speechless suggested.  With the top music library highlighted, I pressed play.  That generated a playlist of 200 songs in random order from the two folders I added to the library.  That was 200 out of approx 800 in the two folders.  Playback was fine.  Now, 200 is not the entire library, but since 200 songs is at least 7 hours of playing time, I can live with that.  This technique did not work at the folder level.  Hitting enter on the highlighted top music library, and then selecting folders got me to a screen with the two folders, each of which contains more than 200 songs.  Highlighting either one, and then press play generated an almost immediate playback error.  Once clearing the error box, the only action that worked was the back button to take me back up one level.  It would be great if the press play on a highlighted container, at any level in the folder tree, would work consistently.

@@ebr  #806 on the GitHub. That is the fix for the issue.   ;)

Edited by speechles

botbswco

Just a dialog box with ! Playback Error and OK checkbox to get out.  I did another test by adding a folder with only 115 tracks in it to see if it was the number of tracks in the other folders.  Got the same error.

speechless, you'll have to help me out on getting to the github.....as I said, I'm a newbie.  Is the fix on the user end?

Just a dialog box with ! Playback Error and OK checkbox to get out.  I did another test by adding a folder with only 115 tracks in it to see if it was the number of tracks in the other folders.  Got the same error.

speechless, you'll have to help me out on getting to the github.....as I said, I'm a newbie.  Is the fix on the user end?

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do this? Thanks !

The problem is with folders we have no mediatype. In fact, you have type = "folder" and what is in that folder is anyone's guess. Suppose it is folders with albums inside. To Emby that is a folder within a folder. Folders have no type. So it becomes difficult to juggle are we using video or is this audio? Right now the assumption is it is video as naturally that is where people expect folders to playback the most. The playback error you receive is because audio items do not fit into the video playlist. The playlist is empty and because of this the error handler does not understand how it got there. Empty should not be possible. This is why it is just "Playback Error" with no further context.

For audio we are going to have to use some method to tell when it is an audio(music) item and act accordingly without running into logic where it affects playback of video within folders. Hope you understand. Github is our internal collaboration tool for issues just like this.

To be honest that is 100% the problem right now and we are working on it. It will be improved. Thank you for bringing it up. We will get this squared away.

@@Luke this is one of those things. It is hard to fix without making assumptions.

Edited by speechles

botbswco

Thanks both for the reply.  Just a suggestion......Since the parent folder type is labeled as "music" couldn't you have the child folders inherit the parent's properties?  Isn't that what you kind of do when you shuffle play the entire library?  Thanks again.  From this, I assume you don't need the log, correct?

botbswco

OH, sorry :)

Just tried it...excellent!!  It works from the library and folder levels, even if the folders have more than 200 songs.  As said before, I can live with the 200 limit.  One additional comment on messaging:  When something is already playing, you get a dialog choice of Que all from here or Play all from here.  That confused my little pea brain and I had to try it to see what it was doing.  Possibly change choices to "Add to current play que" and "Stop current que and play as new que" ??

Thanks for your quick response on this!!

:)  :)  :)