Other potential live TV back-ends

kamakamadaun

Spaceboy

Maybe it's just me but I have seen absolutely NO indication from DVBlogic that they are willing to do anything.

If anything they are getting less reasonable than they used to be.

And unfortunately support for CI/CAM decryption is a must in order to make MB a viable replacement for Media Center in Europe as there is so little FTA available.

Is there any news on DVBviewer as a possible backend?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Dvblink have always been unreasonable. It's why I'm quite direct in my posts on their board, moaning is the only way to get attention. But I agree they will do nothing, the xbmc plugin was entirely user driven, literally just became officially supported.

Recently I'm actually reconsidering what I do with my tv. The main provider in the uk is implementing new encryption which has meant all the HD channels are restricted to their own box. I'll probably keep the subscription and switch things around a bit but it's made me reconsider things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

politby

Right. I'm not much of a sports fan so the lack of live sports streaming is not a problem. I get the golf majors on FTA. :) Unfortunately I lost MLB when ESPN pulled out of the Nordics. :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by politby

Another thing you can pitch to prospective developers - live tv can always be whipped up very quickly by making it a Channel. You won't get the full guide and recording management features, but you'll get playback. So it's an option you can try and sell because it's a lot less than implementing the full tv service api.

• Like 1

AND... I have an immediate response! Only a polite one so far but still ...

Ruth Steinberg replied:

Dear Lee,

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems. I will gladly forward your feature request to our product management team. Perhaps we can offer this functionality in future Elgato apps.

We really appreciate customer feedback.

Very best,

Ruth Steinberg

Technical Support

Elgato Systems LLC

900 Kearny Street Suite 750 San Francisco CA 94133-5145

Spaceboy

I'm surprised we can't drum up enough interest here to make it worthwhile. Seems like an easy thing to do but I am probably underestimating. Anyway, I would be willing to pledge a reasonable amount of cash to get this working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sven

I'm surprised we can't drum up enough interest here to make it worthwhile. Seems like an easy thing to do but I am probably underestimating. Anyway, I would be willing to pledge a reasonable amount of cash to get this working

We are working on the full mediabrowser stack.

Everyone of us have also a main job. So the most do this at their spare time. :)

Spaceboy

Wasn't intended as criticism, in my head this plugin works as mapping the external software commands to the MBS commands so to me it seems like a simple job. I was also hoping to some extent money might talk but I accept both of these premises are untrue!

Notfast

DVBVIEWER's stance is.

"if someone creates a sat>ip plugin that's fine". Not in so many words...

Shame because it is the best option by a country mile imho.

Pity I can't code or I'd be all over this....

Been there, moved along....

Now i´m at Argus-TV, and I have almost tried them all, at Argus-TV is best of them for me.

Simple to use, stable, advanced epg and you can easy program your recordings from a browser.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to add some more findings here. I have been using tv-tuners in pc's since the -90s. I started using mythtv when that project came to life. Moved over to Mediaportal in 2005 when that project started, then moved along to ForTheRecord for more advanced sceduling options. For the past couple of years I've tested most pvr "backends" out there. But for the better part of those 2 years I have used FTR/Argus and Nextpvr.

But there's allways something missing. Allways been a reason to look for something better.

For the past week I've used and setup tvheadend. And it's the little engine that could, it also has it's shortcommings but the quality of handling a tv feed is not something I've experienced since my mythtv days (maybe linux is a key factor here ?) 

Tvheadend supply me with perfect quality, no errors in the signal, something neither mediaportal, argus or nextpvr can on the same hardware. Video streaming is perfect and channel tuning is super fast. I would ofcourse like to have the schedueling options of argus, tvheadend has rather few options in that department. But still this will be my daily driver and tv solution from now on. 

What I really like is the simplicity of the HTTP streaming and the m3u support for channels, but it also has the more advanced htsp protocol.

• 3 weeks later...
blublub

there is a mediaportal plugin which uses MBserver. I guess they don't want to go the other way as it's taking their userbase away!

Who is they? I'm fine with MP as a tv back-end for us. Armand said he might consider looking into it.

The MP TV Server works with XBMC so I don't think they are afraid if using their users - you would still use their product just not the front end.

And for changing front-ends's there are so various reasons.....

@@Luke

Is there any reply from Armand over at MP or any development in that direction yet?

I have tried a couple of TV Servers and MP and Argus are the most complete I have found - both having their pro's and con's.

I personally went with MP TV Server because they have a plugin that lets you "record from the past" (TS writer plugin) - that is really awesome.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

There's a post on the dvb logic forum asking for details of the live tv integration / api or whatever it's called, where can I link them to? Ta

that's the api to use live tv in an app. a server plugin is needed to add a live tv service to the server. if there's someone serious about it then i'll work with them.

• 4 weeks later...
denethor

There's a post on the dvb logic forum asking for details of the live tv integration / api or whatever it's called, where can I link them to? Ta

Above question is pretty old but anyway here are the links for those who will be ended up here with Google search... Actually there is a Development Corner in their forums regarding to APIs.

Their API is programming language independent and based on open http/xml standards and can be found here

For C# API look here

For C++ library here is the link

For DVBLink Remote API Python library click here

Plex Client Source is here

How to get all DVBLink channels and recorded TV as m3u file is here

With the last one you may probably use any of the IPTV Channel Plugins with your DVBLink backend.

Edited by denethor

MrGrymReaper

I have sent a PM to one of the developers on the Argus TV project. I have donated to the project (Argus TV) in the past so hopefully you may receive a PM or some other contact from the team involved.

The reason being I too would like to see Argus TV as a live tv plugin, unfortunately I currently won't be able to develop a plugin. Though I would be able to help with testing one when the development is sufficiently progressed.

Edited by MrGrymReaper

I have sent a PM to one of the developers on the Argus TV project. I have donated to the project (Argus TV) in the past so hopefully you may receive a PM or some other contact from the team involved.

The reason being I too would like to see Argus TV as a live tv plugin, unfortunately I currently won't be able to develop a plugin. Though I would be able to help with testing one when the development is sufficiently progressed.

As far as I know is Argus-TV a one man project by dot-i.

He is the only developer on this and he mentioned that there is already something in the pipeline.

Look here: http://www.argus-tv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4594&start=30#p33870

Please be patient :) :)  :P  
Edited by Sven

• 4 weeks later...

I will buy someone a DVBViewer license if they will build a plugin!

I've just got it working in xbmc and it's fantastic... Just the rest of xbmc that I don't really like!!!!