Other potential live TV back-ends

kamakamadaun

Oh @@Luke i did get some response on the sat4fools site, currently mixed in with all the xbmc stuff. I'm going to try push for our own thread/forum if they're receptive..

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

People need to get in here and ask this dev for help getting DVBViewer as a back end....

XBMC can't play HD channels on devices given the mediabrowser server can transcode surely we can????

Cardshare users should be VERY interested in getting Dvbviewer working. I recently tried nextpvr and it was awful in comparison. Didn't even try the mediabrowser plugin as it was so unstable...

http://www.dvbviewer.tv/forum/topic/47467-integration-with-xbmc-pvr/page-5

I've added my 2p worth. Just need some more interest.....

Retseem

Did anyone ever look into DVB Dream as a backend? http://www.dvbdream.org/

It doesn't seem to be the cheapest but if I look at the hardware support and the options pay for it if it works.

Have to many problems with CI/CAM on Argus/TV, doesn't descramble my channels with my Digital Devices hardware, while DVBlogig has no problems doing it.

Now looking into setting up ServerWMC or NextPVR with MB3 and wonder which of the two does the fastest channels switching, since pretty thats important to me.

For the scheduler features and stuff, wouldn't that be somthing to build in MB so that it's the same regardless which backend you use? I'm not a coder, so don't know if it's possible, so just suggesting.

Lee

I've just emailed admin @ progdvb see what they think to making a tv backend...

• Like 2

Lee

next pvr channel switching took too long for my liking, was very buggy too from the limited use I gave it. sacked it after a couple of hours....

Lee

as for dvbdream as a back end $50? really

dvbviewer is £14 (or it was when I bought it!!)

there are plenty of free options too, $50 is ridiculous for a program that is just a progDVB ripoff

which would be a better option actually at 25euro....

http://www.progdvb.com/order.html

• Like 1

sub3

next pvr channel switching took too long for my liking, was very buggy too from the limited use I gave it. sacked it after a couple of hours....

This is MB3 architecture problem rather than a NextPVR problem though, so you shouldn't really bag NextPVR over it. Take a look at channel changing in NextPVR itself, you'll see it's as quick as anything else. I typically get channel changes in about a second in NextPVR, which is pretty damn good.

There is going to need to be a lot more work on the MB3 side of things before you see quick channel changes, regardless of what backend you're using.

Edited by sub3

Lee

This is MB3 architecture problem rather than a NextPVR problem though, so you shouldn't really bag NextPVR over it. Take a look at channel changing in NextPVR itself, you'll see it's as quick as anything else. I typically get channel changes in about a second in NextPVR, which is pretty damn good.

There is going to need to be a lot more work on the MB3 side of things before you see quick channel changes, regardless of what backend you're using.

I didn't use it within mediabrowser, i tried it on it's own. Very unstable for me.

Lee

@@sub3 I'd really need to have a test system (which i don't!) to give nextPVR another go.. I REALLY wanted it to work, more than anything for the cardshare capabilities. But it took me an hour to get the picture to work!!! And even then it was kind of "automagically" just seemed to start working of it's own accord.

sub3

I remembered reading the post where you initially saw the words "card sharing" and got interested. Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about the same thing you were - they were instead referring to NextPVR's multi-record functionality, which allows multiple users to be sharing the same tuner at the same time, potentially watching or recording multiple channels from the same frequency at the same time.

I'm pretty sure you read this as "card sharing" in a DVB pay-tv subscription sense, with multi-dec etc. NextPVR does have this type of functionality too, but it's definitely not a priority to the project, since it's illegal in many countries, and I'd prefer the focus to be on the legit stuff. For this type of functionality you are probably better off pushing for some other TV backend, that is more willing to discuss these aspects publicly etc. For users just using FTA, or capturing from set top boxes, using either SD or HD capture devices, NextPVR is a good choice.

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

sub3

I didn't use it within mediabrowser, i tried it on it's own. Very unstable for me.

I'm happy to help you through any stability issues - but only for legal content, ie no multidec plugins etc.

• Like 1

Lee

@@sub3 i might look again if i start to encounter any problems with WMC as it nears end of life. ATM tho it is just rock solid and unbeatable imho...

Retseem

My colleague installed MB3 with NextPVR lasrt week, it seems very stable with the use of a FloppyDTV-S2 and FloppyDTV-C mix.

Unfortunately zapping channels quickly is indeed not an option, especially when using the WebGUI since has to setup the transcoding etc first, which eats up some time.

• 3 weeks later...
Spaceboy

still plugging away with dvblink. http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27695&p=90923#p90923 there is definite user interest but as noted previously dvblink are far more focussed on back end compatibility leaving front end connections to be built by external developers. Although the time shifting and full support just given to xbmc in the latest release suggests MB3 compatibility should be possible

foxy82

Hey - did you ever get anywhere with TVHeadend? Do you have any documentation on creating a Live TV plugin? 

Notfast

I still think that Argus is the most complete tv server.

Advance features, but still simple enough for wife to use.

I hope people would get behind ArgusTV for mediabrowser.

• Like 1

bob808

it would be great if there was further client support from the likes of argus, dvblink, mediaportal and tbheadend - but we seem to be stuck where there is nothing compelling from their side, and lack of understanding of the backends to make a suitable plugin from this community.

Is there any guidance on how to go about this Sven from the work you did with nextpvr?  It would be interesting to see how this can port and work with some of the other systems.

I guess until livetv is available in the main MBR and Ipad apps etc this isn't going to take off anyway as this is sorting out the backend so maybe it will take this to appear for the 2 existing clients to stir the interest from the other providers?

we've got three clients that support it now, web, windows phone, and roku, with two more launching very soon. so that will be five.

• Like 2

saitoh183

I would use Argus if they supported the Colossus HD

politby

still plugging away with dvblink. http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=27695&p=90923#p90923 there is definite user interest but as noted previously dvblink are far more focussed on back end compatibility leaving front end connections to be built by external developers. Although the time shifting and full support just given to xbmc in the latest release suggests MB3 compatibility should be possible

Maybe it's just me but I have seen absolutely NO indication from DVBlogic that they are willing to do anything.

If anything they are getting less reasonable than they used to be.

And unfortunately support for CI/CAM decryption is a must in order to make MB a viable replacement for Media Center in Europe as there is so little FTA available.

Is there any news on DVBviewer as a possible backend?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DVBVIEWER's stance is.

"if someone creates a sat>ip plugin that's fine". Not in so many words...

Shame because it is the best option by a country mile imho.

Pity I can't code or I'd be all over this....

• Like 1

I'm not using dvbviewer and newer have. But they are onto something there. If all supported satip it would be much better for everyone. Find it kindo odd that not more backends use it.

Edited by KRA

politby

I'm convinced linear TV is on borrowed time. Why pay exorbitant fees for 90% garbage.

I have canceled my satellite contract per end June. I get all I need from our 6 FTA channels, Netflix and Vudu.

Spaceboy

I'm convinced linear TV is on borrowed time. Why pay exorbitant fees for 90% garbage.

I have canceled my satellite contract per end June. I get all I need from our 6 FTA channels, Netflix and Vudu.

One word. Sport

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk