Stuttering Video on Fire TV Box 4k

batesman

batesman

Hi there,

I've got a problem with playing videos on my fire TV Box (see title).

That happens if I play the video through the emby App or if I use the Kodi-Emby plugin.

Both are at latest versions.

In this case I tried to play "The finest hours" starting at 09:10 o'clock and ends at 09:12 o'clock.

I also sent a report through the Emy-app-Debug function at 09:12 (or 09:13) o'clock with the user "Norman"

I also see very often server errors in the log but don'T understand where they come from.

Yesterday evening I tried to play a video through my BD-Player and TV (Oppo 103 and Sony Bravia TV) and that video crashed every 10-15 min. I don't know if there is a relation.

Eihter way the FireTV Box should be my primary device, so that issue is most important.

Maybe someone could help me understanding the logs.

THX

2017_02_23_09_13_Emby_Server_Log.txt

What is the bitrate of that video?

It is direct streaming and may just be a higher bitrate than the device can handle.

RanmaCanada

What is the bitrate and what is the codec that is being used.  IE is it x264 or x265.  It is more than possible that the bitrate is too high for your network connection, especially if it is a 4k h264 file, as those can have bitrates of 50 MB or higher.  Yes that is 50 MEGABYTES per second.  And that is just for the video portion.

Please give us more information.  If you can, post the media info of the file, and transcode logs from the server if any.  I see from the log it is supposed to direct play, so it is a manner of if your network is fast enough or not, maybe!

batesman

Hi there,

looking in the log you cann see that it is direct streaming --> so no transcode log.

And I can't believe that it should be a matter of bandwith of the device as it is designed for 4K content and this (and several other) movie is a BluRay Rip.

Also, after removing emby addon from kodi and adding mediasource via nfs the video is playing fine.

Anyway ... heres what mediainfo tells me

Video
CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfilHigh
Level41
Auflösung1920x1080
Seitenverhältnis16:9
AnamorphNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate41309 kbps
Bit-Tiefe8 bit
Pixelformatyuv420p
Ref Frames1
NAL4

Audio
Sprachedeu
CodecDTS
ProfilDTS-HD HRA
Darstellung5.1
Kanäle6 ch
Sample-Rate48000 Hz
VoreinstellungYes
TitleDeu Surround 5.1

Audio
Sprachedeu
CodecDTS
ProfilDTS
Darstellung5.1
Kanäle6 ch
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample-Rate48000 Hz
VoreinstellungNo
TitleDeu Surround 5.1

Audio
Spracheeng
CodecDTS
ProfilDTS-HD MA
Darstellung7.1
Kanäle8 ch
Sample-Rate48000 Hz
Bit-Tiefe24 bit
VoreinstellungNo
TitleEng Surround 7.1

Audio
Spracheeng
CodecDTS
ProfilDTS
Darstellung5.1
Kanäle6 ch
Bitrate1536 kbps
Sample-Rate48000 Hz
VoreinstellungNo
TitleEng Surround 5.1

Untertitel
Sprachedeu
CodecPGSSUB
VoreinstellungNo
ErzwungenNo
ExternNo
TitleDeu

Untertitel
Sprachedeu
CodecPGSSUB
VoreinstellungNo
ErzwungenNo
ExternNo
TitleDeu

Untertitel
Spracheeng
CodecPGSSUB
VoreinstellungNo
ErzwungenNo
ExternNo
TitleEng

ingebettetes Bild
CodecMJPEG
Level-99
Auflösung640x360
Framerate90000
Bit-Tiefe8 bit
Pixelformatyuvj420p
Ref Frames1
VoreinstellungNo
Edited by batesman

Hi @@batesman it very well could be bandwidth because although it is designed for 4k, the bitrates from streaming apps are going to be much lower then the bitrate from a direct Blu-ray rip.

I would try reducing the in app bitrate setting, which of course will cause it to transcode on the server. Let us know it goes. Thanks.

The bitrate of the video is 41Mb/s and I could see from your log that VLC was only able to push through about 30Mb/s so that is the cause of your stuttering.

The specs on the Fire say it only supports up to 21Mb/s but we can usually get more than that out of them - just not quite what you are asking it for.  No streaming service is attempting to push content with bitrates that high.

batesman

I don't think that's the reason.

Like I wrote bevor. With Kodi it plays the files from nfs without these micro stuttering. So that seems not to be a hardware issue.

But I also tried to reduce the bitrate in steps down (first I tried 21MBit) to 1MBit just to see what happens. The problem remains.

It's also the same when I watch a ripped DVD which should have that high bandwith.

If its related to bandwith it should only appear in "complex" situations and only sometimes. But it's a permanent issue. I see the film but it looks some kind of wierd/Synthetic.

If it is consistent regardless of bitrate then perhaps what you are dealing with is frame-rate stutter?

The video above is 24fps and your display device only supports a refresh rate of 1080p/60.

• Like 1