server usage whilst mac is "asleep"

soltia

Can anybody confirm whether emby server on an iMac will still be accessible from other devices using the kodi plug in when the mac is asleep ? Previously when using plex i found this worked , but using kodi on another device , i could not access content stored on ext HDD's attached to the mac over network.I would like to use the emby server app on my iMac , but  the fan is extremely noisy and it is only an option if the set up will work when i put the iMac in sleep mode.

tx for quick reply , I thought i would make a start with emby by installing the server on the mac then accessing it from within kodi  using the emby for kodi add-on  from various devices on my network , nvidia shield , arnu box ( linux ) and Rpi3, its purely to access and play my movie libraries which i currently have on a 3x HDD,s attached to an acer mini PC , i am worried that the `PC may not be powerful enough to use as a server thats why am looking at the mac, i have searched but i can't see any guidance or recommendations as the size/ram etc of a device needed for using as the server.

Edited by soltia

The addon will be using the Emby api so you wont' be able to browse your library with the server asleep. But you should be able to start a movie, and allow the server to sleep during playback, I would think that should be fine as long as the addon is using the shared HDD path directly.

that rules the mac out then , using plex i could access all the movies even remotely from outside of my network whilst the mac was in sleep mode, Ok thank you , i will try setting up the emby server on the mini PC first then.

We could do that if we wanted to store information about your library on our servers. Many people like that we don't do that sort of thing.

We could do that if we wanted to store information about your library on our servers. Many people like that we don't do that sort of thing.

am not sure what you mean by that ?

I mistakenly thought an emby sever could be used both locally and from outside of your network ? Not that i need access from outside btw am just replying to above comment.

I don't know what they are doing so I am not going to say much more and make false assumptions. But it's pretty simple. If the server machine is off (asleep), and you're still able to browse your library, then that information has to be coming from somewhere. Maybe it's all saved locally inside the app, which is possible , or maybe it is on their servers.

I mistakenly thought an emby sever could be used both locally and from outside of your network ? Not that i need access from outside btw am just replying to above comment.

Yes of course you can use Emby Server when away from home. You just can't use it when the machine running Emby Server is turned off, that's really all I'm trying to say.

oh i understand now , thanks yes , its something i should have been asking myself at the time , oh well i don't use plex anymore , thanks . Am looking forward to seeing how my libraries look on emby.

Edited by soltia