"Access to Path" denied

tired dad

tired dad

Hi,

I am having errors showing in the library where the access to the path is denied on two servers.  No changes have been made to the system(s) and it worked fine earlier today (with successful media scans).  I've had this problem before and there was no resolution other than to delete the entire library setting and add them in again.  This time, I tried just adding another network path before deleting anything and got the same error message: "access to path \\server\folder is denied"

I can access all the paths in question with Windows Explorer or by logging into the servers remotely (i.e., there are no permission issues; this system has been stable for years)  I was able to play a movie in Windows Movie Player, but MB Classic insists it is no longer there.  Launching MB Classic now shows the various collections with empty folders.

Rebooting the machine with MB Server did not help, nor did starting/stopping the service.  Please see the attached log, it shows the server cannot locate any of the paths involved.  Any ideas would be appreciated as it seems this time I cannot simply delete the collection paths and start again.

server-63527148017.zip

You are running as a service?

What happens if you stop the service and just run the normal app?

If that works then it is probably a permissions issue with the service setup.  Confirm that is correct.

tired dad

You are running as a service?

What happens if you stop the service and just run the normal app?

If that works then it is probably a permissions issue with the service setup.  Confirm that is correct.

I am running it as a service.  I have it auto-start when the server comes up.  To resolve this issue, I had to start the app from the icon (even though the service said it was running after rebooting).  I had a look at the service via services.msc and the service is set to log on as the local system account.  The path that is/was denied is on another machine.

• 4 months later...
shpitz461

I have the same issue. Every time I get a message to update the server (from the web interface), it will not update. When I try to run the installer, i get an error that access to the system folder is denied.

Turns out what was blocking the update is ServerWMC. Once I killed it, the updating process was successful.

Lee

I was just about to post, something similar. Not sure it's the same issue. Happens when I try update the server.. Has happened since it changed to an auto-updater. I kinda get stuck in an update-loop for want of a better word. I have to restart the PC for the server install to take.

krustyreturns

I am doing something in serverwmc's program data directory (%programdata%\vdsoftware\serverwmc).  That's where it keeps its config file and log file.  I don't understand how that effects an autoupdate of mbs.

krustyreturns

I have no trouble doing mbs updates with swmc running, so I have nothing to investigate on my end.  But whatever I can do to help.  Maybe there is something in the logs.

• 5 months later...
cyborg1024

I had a similar issue where some of my media wasn't accessible even though all PC's are on the same homegroup what worked, is I manually used an admin account from the server instead of the local user option to run the service.  So if you go right click on my computer, select manage, go to service, locate mediabrowser service go under properters and instead of using the local account use the "this account" option and specify an account on the server that has full access.   I have some accounts blocked from all but media for security reasons which is what I normally like to do as the "Nanny" profile but still allowing guests to access TV, Music, etc..  This worked for me so I hope it helps others.   

• Like 1