Web Browser always forces wizard suddenly, Android just fine

BloodyIron

BloodyIron

This is v3.2.1.0

So, I've had Emby setup for like a month now or something. I access it through chromium, my Android with the official app, and I also yesterday tried it on a Win10 tablet with the Windows app through the store. I updated it to 3.2.1.0 when it was released, not very recently.

Suddenly, today, I go to my Emby server in Chromium, and it's forcing me into the first setup Wizard. I can't skip it, or bypass it in any way. I've done nothing to reconfigure it. I rebooted the host running it, did not solve it.

I bust out my phone, load Emby up with the Android app, and... it works just fine.

I don't know what to do. Please advise.

Host is an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM.

Edited by BloodyIron

BloodyIron

Not finding instructions on where the Linux logs are. I'll see if I can dig them up, but consider adding that to the docs? :)

Also, is there a way I can submit the logs not-publicly?

Can you please provide the emby server log? you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

thanks !

just step through the startup wizard and then you can see the path on the front page of the emby server dashboard.

Happy2Play

You can pm them to @@Luke.  Sounds like something changed or corrupted your system.xml.  Does the wizard return if you step through all the settings again?

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Well the log looks fine so i would step through the wizard and then see what happens after that. Make sure nothing is tampering with the data folder in between runs of the server.

/var/lib/emby-server
  • Like 1

BloodyIron

One of the concerns I have is that the wizard talks about making an acct, but the accts are still there I think, since I can do stuff with the Android app.

I can do this later, as I gotta step out. But, what's the likelihood it's going to overwrite an account if I put the same username? I can possibly make a dummy acct I delete later, I just don't know if this is going to reset anything on my end.

Fortunately, my VM running Emby is backed up daily, so I can always roll back. But it seems helpful to you fabulous peeps to try and work with you in identifying the problem, so we can avoid it for other users in the future :)

So, to re-iterate, I'll have to come back to this later today, but let me know your thoughts on my questions in this post about overwrite, etc. :D

BloodyIron

Okay completing the wizard overwrote one of the users (not admin) and now I can't login to my only admin account. So, now it's unusable as I had worried :/

Should I try to get this fixed or roll back my VM?

Happy2Play

You may want to consider using the Server Configuration Backup plugin also.

BloodyIron

Well, my whole-VM backups are done once a day, keep the last 5 days (want to increase this when I get more storage).

BUT, why do you propose this? :)

The content (media) isn't in the VM, the VM connects to that through an SMB share. But all the emby stuff, like DB and such, are within the VM. Rolling back will only really mean I lose track of what episode I'm on, and if any updates were made. But those two things generally seem acceptable to me.

You may want to consider using the Server Configuration Backup plugin also.

BloodyIron

Okay now I'm seriously stuck. I restored from my oldest backup, 5 days ago, and it's still forcing wizard. I could swear I've used the webgui between now and then just fine, and now I don't understand why this is still happening. Out of ideas here :(

I would just step through the wizard and on the user screen just click next without entering anything. i have never seen it blow away a user. i think you will be fine.

my guess is with your backup process perhaps at some point you inadvertently rolled it back to a state where the wizard hadn't been completed.

BloodyIron

Okay, in system.xml the value "<IsStartupWizardCompleted>" was set to false, I set it to True. Had to restart emby-server to take effect, looks like it's prompting for appropriate logins. Now to see if it's fine otherwise :D

BloodyIron

It's been like over 2 weeks since I had to use the wizard, there's no way my backups were in a state while it was being setup.

I would just step through the wizard and on the user screen just click next without entering anything. i have never seen it blow away a user. i think you will be fine.

my guess is with your backup process perhaps at some point you inadvertently rolled it back to a state where the wizard hadn't been completed.

BloodyIron

Started scanning my library right away, seems like it forgot about the content, so it seems a full scan from scratch. How very curious. The only thing that recently happened of note is:

1) Upgraded to 3.2.1.0 (seems like most likely culprit here)

2) Used my win10 tablet with the Emby app (oddly enough it didn't even need to be told the server address, it just picked it up, which is super neat btw)

Anyways, scan is taking forever (because I have plenty of things), so hoping it's just fine. If more issues come up I'll let you know :)