System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Address already in use

clyir

These were the events the lead up to the error. After finishing using rsync to copy over a new movie, I went over to the web interface and manually ran a library scan. I noticed it was taking an unusually long time (stuck at 16% if I remember correctly) so I refreshed the page, at which point it became unresponsive.

​I checked the service and at this time emby-server was reporting Active: active (running) with no evident errors. This command was executed at 14:50 at which point the the latest log in /var/lib/emby-server/logs was reporting no errors. Therefore I decided to restart the emby-server service, however upon doing resulted in this output:

Feb 18 14:51:07 debianserver systemd[1]: Stopping Emby Media Server...
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver systemd[1]: emby-server.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver systemd[1]: Unit emby-server.service entered failed state.
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver systemd[1]: Starting Emby Media Server...
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver su[16463]: Successful su for emby by root
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver su[16463]: + ??? root:emby
Feb 18 14:51:09 debianserver su[16463]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user emby by (uid=0)

​After this I noticed a new server-*.txt and associated unhandled_*.txt logs had appeared. I have attached this server log but didn't see much reason to include the unhandled log as it's in the server log as well.

server-63623026269.txt

Rebooting does resolve the issue, however I've had this occur at least once before recently so I was hoping to get to the bottom of it or at least have someone point me in the right direction for what might be causing this.

Edited by clyir

​Yeah, I've attached it here. This was the server log that preceded the one that I attached in my first post and the only other one for the day, besides a handful of ffmpeg-remux-*.txt logs that was from a Chromecast stream.

server-63622972800.txt

Edited by clyir

It hasn't occurred again to date, but since the first and second (this report) occurred about a week apart I'm still monitoring it to see if it does happen again.

Do you have idea what could have caused it?

There was something in the log about connection reset by peer (client device). I'm not sure at this point why that would cause future requests to get hung up. If it becomes a pattern i'll have to figure out a way to simulate it for testing and research into whatever changes would be needed. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
godfuture

Hey guys, I came here with the exact same issue. My docker container has state "exited". The only error I can find is:

System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Connection reset by peer. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection reset by peer

As I am using docker and already restarted the container several times...what could this mean for the docker install?

Edited by godfuture

godfuture

Well, the server log has a lot private data. This is the unhandled log:

2019-02-04 23:48:49.901 Error Main: UnhandledException
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.0.1.0
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.17.0.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 2
	Program data path: /config
	Application directory: /system
	System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Connection reset by peer. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.GetResult(Int16 token)
	   at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacketAsync(Stream transport, AsyncProtocolRequest request)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ThrowIfExceptional()
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckThrow(Boolean authSuccessCheck, Boolean shutdownCheck)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckOldKeyDecryptedData(Memory`1 buffer)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.HandleQueuedCallback(Object& queuedStateRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.FinishHandshakeRead(Int32 newState)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.FinishHandshake(Exception e, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.RehandshakeCompleteCallback(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
	   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
	   at System.Net.AsyncProtocolRequest.CompleteUserWithError(Exception e)
	   at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacketAsync(Stream transport, AsyncProtocolRequest request)
	   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
	Source: System.Net.Sockets
	TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error)
	   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.GetResult(Int16 token)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ThrowIfExceptional()
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckThrow(Boolean authSuccessCheck, Boolean shutdownCheck)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckOldKeyDecryptedData(Memory`1 buffer)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.HandleQueuedCallback(Object& queuedStateRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.FinishHandshakeRead(Int32 newState)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.FinishHandshake(Exception e, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.RehandshakeCompleteCallback(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
	   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
	   at System.Net.AsyncProtocolRequest.CompleteUserWithError(Exception e)
	   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
	InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Connection reset by peer
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

It seems to happen when I interact with the library. Set favorite, scanning for updates, edit meta data.

mastrmind11

so just global replace your IP with something and attach the full log.  That snippet can be the result of a bunch other things, which a full log would help identify...