Live TV playback problem

McChen

I'm having a very strange issue playing back Live TV for the past couple weeks. Think it has something to do with the recent Emby server releases? When I tune into a channel, the audio and video is completely out of sync. The audio plays back uninterrupted and seems OK, but the video is totally screwy. It pauses and lags all the time and in between the video plays back at like 2x normal speed. This only happens with live TV. Recorded TV and movie files are fine. I seem to remember when this issue started it was only every once in awhile, not sure if it was linked to certain channels/broadcasts or what. Now it is happening a lot more, most of the time I can't get any channel to playback correctly. I've tested on Android TV, Android, and web clients. Transcoding log attached.

ffmpeg-transcode-60c2fafb-39f7-41c6-9b3b-48e6efbdf377.txt

It's a Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650. It's very similar internally to the HDHomeRun Prime, uses the same SiliconDust chipset, firmware and drivers.

well after playing around some, i've been able to determine the following:

1. As far as i can tell, this issue only happens with certain channels. The broken ones are broken all the time and the channels that work always work. I haven't figured out yet how many channels have this problem vs. how many that do.

2. This issue happens only when transcoding live TV. When I direct stream it, it works fine.

3. I tried several different versions of ffmpeg, the one that comes with Emby, stable release 3.2.2, as well as the latest nightly build. All have the same issue.

4. The issue isn't isolated to certain clients, Android, Android TV, web and Ember all exhibit it.

Very perplexing, everything was fine until sometime in Jan or so. Nothing has changed on the WMC/ServerWMC side, so I suspect it was one of the Emby server releases, but that is just a theory.

Also, for the channels that have the problem, if i record something from that channel and transcode the recording, it plays fine. Only playing the channel live has the issue.

Any ideas what is going on? Any clues in the logs that i posted?

• 3 weeks later...
McChen

Well I finally got a version of ffmpeg (3.2.4) in which intel quicksync works again. Tried enabling that to see if it had any effect on this playback issue and I got the same result whether using software or hardware transcoding. At this point I don't believe this issue is related to transcoding or ffmpeg. The TV channels that have this issue are still unwatchable and only certain channel play back OK. Am I the only one experiencing this? Has anyone been able to reproduce this? Not sure what is going on, Emby worked just fine until about 3 months ago.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to report that this issue has finally been resolved when I upgraded to Emby Server 3.2.31.0. The ServerWMC plugin also upgraded to 1.1.0.0 at the same time, so I'm not sure which one fixed it.