Tv series episodes out of sequence

gradi
Go to solution Solved by jordy,

I have been using Mediabrowser/Emby for sometime. Currently 3.0.307.0

I have Windows 8.1 with Media Center.

I recently had to do a fresh install of Windows and decided to do a fresh install of Emby & MBC as well.

I now have a problem that I have been trying to resolve for several days.

I have searched this forum but cannot find anything close to my situation.

I have TV series in Genres eg. Comedy Documentaries etc.and then Show/Season/Episodes in the accepted naming format (s01e01 etc.)

After this reinstall as much as maybe half of the TV series episodes are seriously out of sequence eg. instead of 1 2 3 4 etc they show as 3 4 1 2.

or any number of different sequences.

I have checked and rechecked that the episode name and number still match under metadata manager, and they match perfectly.

I cannot see any way of returning them to to the correct sequence.

I even tried wiping all traces of the Emby & MBC installation and reinstalling but the same result.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have not resolved this problem.

Is there a folder in Emby that stores the data relating to tv episodes?

Would deleting the contents of this folder force Emby to rebuild the data and hopefully restore the correct sequence?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the replies.

Attached are screenshots from metadata manager and Chocolate list view.

I am actually using the Subdued theme with coverflow but It only displays a single episode on each screen so I have shown it with Chocolate List view.

There are a number of seasons where the episode order is out of sequence ; some worse than others.

Thanks again for your help.

post-4077-0-76920700-1487719426_thumb.png

post-4077-0-96792000-1487719444_thumb.png

Edited by gradi

Thank you for the replies.

Attached are screenshots from metadata manager and Chocolate list view.

I am actually using the Subdued theme with coverflow but It only displays a single episode on each screen so I have shown it with Chocolate List view.

There are a number of seasons where the episode order is out of sequence ; some worse than others.

Thanks again for your help.

It looks like in the metadata manager they are also out of order. can you click on one of those episodes and show us a screenshot of that? thanks.

• Solution

I discovered that if your metadata for the episodes in question contains data in the "Sort Title:" field, Emby will sort on that and ignore the episode numbering. It's OK for Movies but NOT for TV episodes.

cheers

• Like 1

Hi Jordy

Thank you so much I just deleted the "Sort Title" field for two of the worst seasons and did a library scan and all episodes for those seasons are in numerical order.

So problem solved.

Everyones help is greatly appreciated.

Sincere thanks to you all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
KnowEyeDear

Gidday,

Is there any way of doing a 'batch' fix on removing the sort title entries. My collection is quite large, and would take a long time to process manually.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

jordy

Yes. You will need Notepad+. It has a search & replace function. I have the syntax for the search query somewhere. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

EDIT: here is the syntax you will need

Put this in the find field

<sorttitle>(.*?)<sorttitle>

and put this in the replace with field

<sorttitle><sorttitle>

Set Notepad+ to look in  the TV folders for *.xml or *.nfo files and it will replace all the sort title fields in those files within in a few of seconds.

Note: only use it on TV shows or items where you do not want the sort title field populated as It will not discriminate. It gets every instance of this field - regardless if they are populated or empty - in the files you point it at.

cheers

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by jordy
  • Like 2