150 replies to this topic

#141 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Local time: 09:29 PM

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:40 AM

Lots of hue experts here so I'll ask ... I currently have a room with multiple ceiling recessed floodlights all controlled by 1 dimmer switch (all direct, non-hue).  Rather than replace all of the bulbs with hue ones, what I would prefer to do is replace the switch with a hue one that takes commands from the bridge or from it's attached switch (a rocker is fine) and control the existing lights.

With a thin form factor like a standard US light switch.  

Anyone know of anything like this?  I know this wouldn't be particularly popular with Phillips as it cuts down on their smartbulb sales, but anything even aftermarket that's compatible?

I need this, but for Hue :)

https://www.smarthom...itch-white.html

Edited by BillOatman, 22 May 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#142 pir8radio ONLINE  

pir8radio

NGINX

• Members
  • 2751 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Lots of hue experts here so I'll ask ... I currently have a room with multiple ceiling recessed floodlights all controlled by 1 dimmer switch (all direct, non-hue).  Rather than replace all of the bulbs with hue ones, what I would prefer to do is replace the switch with a hue one that takes commands from the bridge or from it's attached switch (a rocker is fine) and control the existing lights.

With a thin form factor like a standard US light switch.  

Anyone know of anything like this?  I know this wouldn't be particularly popular with Phillips as it cuts down on their smartbulb sales, but anything even aftermarket that's compatible?

I need this, but for Hue :)

https://www.smarthom...itch-white.html

they dont make switches like that..   they only sell hue dimmer switches that control hue lights.    The white bulbs are pretty cheap now...   My theater room has like 6 white cans, and 3 color ones for the walkway...  the RGB hues really hit the pocket book lol...    if it didnt need to talk to a hue hub you could use zwave stuff... 

Edited by pir8radio, 22 May 2019 - 09:01 PM.

• BillOatman likes this

#143 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

they dont make switches like that..   they only sell hue dimmer switches that control hue lights.    The white bulbs are pretty cheap now...   My theater room has like 6 white cans, and 3 color ones for the walkway...  the RGB hues really hit the pocket book lol...    if it didnt need to talk to a hue hub you could use zwave stuff... 

Yeah thanks.   I stopped into best buy and talked to a person who owns hue stuff and seemed knowledgeble and she checked around and there aren't even any 3rd party switches that work with the hue hub.  Phillips really wants you to keep buying bulbs I guess.  Insteon has one, and even GE does.  Ahhh well, maybe I'll have a look at making a Insteon plugin.

Edited by BillOatman, 23 May 2019 - 08:56 AM.

#144 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3786 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:45 AM

Yeah thanks. I stopped into best buy and talked to a person who owns hue stuff and seemed knowledgeble and she checked around and there aren't even any 3rd party switches that work with the hue hub. Phillips really wants you to keep buying bulbs I guess. Insteon has one, and even GE does. Ahhh well, maybe I'll have a look at making a Insteon plugin.

If you are even remotely serious about HA, I would not invest in Insteon. Look at Zwave.
Then you could upgrade your place over time. A cheap zwave hub (like Vera which also controls hue products) and a fifty dollar light switch (yep seems a bit expensive) is all you need.
  • BillOatman likes this

#145 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the tip.  ZWave api seems to talk to the hub via a serial connection.  Been a long time since I have seen serial used, not sure my Emby server box even has a serial port :)

Edited by BillOatman, 23 May 2019 - 01:55 PM.

• chef likes this

#146 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3786 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the tip. ZWave api seems to talk to the hub via a serial connection. Been a long time since I have seen serial used, not sure my Emby server box even has a serial port :)

:) Actually, zwave hubs use http API's. The hub communicates using serial to the different devices in the mesh network. :)
  • BillOatman likes this

#147 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

:) Actually, zwave hubs use http API's. The hub communicates using serial to the different devices in the mesh network. :)

Do you have a link to their api's?  The only one I found referenced serial (OpenZwave).

#148 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3786 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

Check out Vera

getvera.com

#149 pir8radio ONLINE  

pir8radio

NGINX

• Members
  • 2751 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

Yeah thanks.   I stopped into best buy and talked to a person who owns hue stuff and seemed knowledgeble and she checked around and there aren't even any 3rd party switches that work with the hue hub.  Phillips really wants you to keep buying bulbs I guess.  Insteon has one, and even GE does.  Ahhh well, maybe I'll have a look at making a Insteon plugin.

Actually, I just came across this...  So there has to be a 120v version... But if you notice the picture it says its good for 100-277 so who knows.

https://www.amazon.c...SubscriptionId=

So it looks like I was incorrect in my previous post, though hue doesnt sell wall switches as long as it it zibgee light link (ZLL) compatible it will work with a hue hub.

https://developers.m...-hue-ecosystem/

Edited by pir8radio, 24 May 2019 - 12:13 PM.

• BillOatman likes this

#150 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

Thanks I'll have a look!

#151 BillOatman ONLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

I took this source and made it operate off of scenes.  I also added a few other features.  It is now in open beta here:
https://emby.media/c...-mood-lighting/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hue, hue lights, phillips hue, home automation, ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users