New Install - Library Scan horribly slow

Thomas64

Thomas64

Hey Folks -

Decided to devote a machine to solely running Emby Server. Performed fresh install of Windows 10 Home and Emby 3.2.1.0 yesterday - and both the Guide update and Media Library Scans are insanely slow now. Both seem to reach 50% in expected/usual times, but slow to a snails pace from that point on. This same machine had been running other things along with Emby Server without issue before the rebuild. (Emby 3.2.0.0 was installed before I wiped out everything on C: with KillDisk.)

I've attached a log and resource screenshot - machine is barely in use, but there is error after error in the Log. It looks like Emby can't connect to external websites, but internet access from this machine is fine (and Emby is set wide open in the Firewall). I don't usually look at the logs, so don't know if these errors are normal or not.

I am unsure if this is truly an external issue (maybe my fresh install of everything went wonky), or if maybe there is an issue with 3.2.1.0 (since there have been scan issues with releases in the past).

Anyone else having this issue or has advice on a resolution?

Thanks!

jurmb84

I did some benchmark testing as my scan has gone from taking between about  45min and 1hr (5000+ movies and 500+ episodes with about 30K+ episodes) to between 4.5hrs and 9hr...  :unsure:

So I took about 125 movies (as that is where it seemed to REALLY be slow and did a fresh install... It took 40 min to do an initial and 30 min to update... :blink:  Most of the time it seemed to be waiting on omdbapi.com... 

So I unchecked The Open Movie Database from the metadata section of movies... and the initial scan dropped to 6 min and the update scan to 18 sec...  :D  However, this seemed to give me all of the same pictures and information (except for rotten tomatoes rating).

I went out to omdbapi last night and found this on their homepage: 

02/08/17 - Crowdfunding Emergency! The one-time donations can no longer support the costs required to maintain this API sufficiently, I have setup a Patreon with various goals defined to get the API back to normal operation, and many improvements. The fate of this API is now in your hands! I'll be posting frequent updates to the Patreon page as caching prevents these messages from being seen for up to 24 hours. 

So here is my question for @@Luke : What metadata does omdbapi give us that tmdb does not?  So I can make a conscience decision as to whether or not it is worth a 5 to 9 hr wait per update.

Cheers and Thanks in advance..

Edited by jurmb84

Happy2Play

I did some benchmark testing as my scan has gone from taking between about  45min and 1hr (5000+ movies and 500+ episodes with about 30K+ episodes) to between 4.5hrs and 9hr...  :unsure:

So I took about 125 movies (as that is where it seemed to REALLY be slow and did a fresh install... It took 40 min to do an initial and 30 min to update... :blink:  Most of the time it seemed to be waiting on omdbapi.com... 

So I unchecked The Open Movie Database from the metadata section of movies... and the initial scan dropped to 6 min and the update scan to 18 sec...  :D  However, this seemed to give me all of the same pictures and information (except for rotten tomatoes rating).

I went out to omdbapi last night and found this on their homepage: 

So here is my question for @@Luke : What metadata does omdbapi give us that tmdb does not?  So I can make a conscience decision as to whether or not it is worth a 5 to 9 hr wait per update.

Cheers and Thanks in advance..

OMDb gets the IMDB votes and ratings, where TMDB have there own.  There is a slight difference in genres also.  There are a couple topics out there discussing this.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Thomas64

Thanks so much for the quick feedback (and testing).

The Guide update slowness was my fault - forgot about the "channels marked as favorite" setting on the HDHomerun device after the rebuild - so it was spinning updating all the duplicate/unwanted channels from Comcast.

TolkienBard

I actually would make a contribution to the OMDb, except that contribution benefits right now are not supported through the Emby metadata scrapers as far as I can tell. So I've just unchecked OMDb for now. Although, with IMDb shutting down the forums and making other massive changes on the 20th, I suspect there will be some others, like myself, ready to make contributions to sites like OMDb.