What is your preferred Emby client? What Emby client is used the most on your server?

Jdiesel

What is your preferred Emby Client?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred Emby Client?

• Android Mobile
    • Android TV
    • Emby for WMC
    • Emby Theater (Windows, Rpi, and Linux)
    • iOS Mobile
    • Apple TV
    • Emby for Kodi
    • Roku
    • Samsung Smart TV
    • Sony PS4
    • LG Smart TV
    • Xbox One
    • Web App
    • Ember for Emby
    • Chromecast
  2. 2. Which Emby Client is used the most on your server?

• Android Mobile
    • Android TV
    • Emby for WMC
    • Emby Theater (Windows, Rpi, and Linux)
    • iOS Mobile
    • Apple TV
    • Emby for Kodi
    • Roku
    • Samsung Smart TV
    • Sony PS4
    • LG Smart TV
    • Xbox One
    • Web App
    • Ember for Emby
    • Chromecast

Jdiesel

After seeing some of the statistics released by the Kodi for Emby developers it made me curious as to what client apps everyone prefers to use. Feel free to comment on why it is your preferred app if you have experience with multiple apps.

Edit: I added a second question as I realized that on my server the client that I enjoy the most is actually not the most used client. It would be interesting to see if there is difference between what the server admin prefers versus what the users are using. 

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I picked Emby Theater because it has my favorite UI and has the greatest ability to be customized. The only thing that prevents me from loving it is the need to run Windows but this appears to be changing now that RPi and Linux versions are being worked on. In a very close second place would be the Android TV app running on the Nvidia Shield.

While I prefer Emby Theater the 4 other users on my server prefer the Roku client. They are not technical people and prefer the Roku's over the Emby for Kodi setups I had them running on before.

Edited by Jdiesel

Guest asrequested

Theater for windows desktop is pretty much my only choice. My primary watching/listening environment is a home theater setup with 7.1.2 Atmos speaker configuration. So it's necessary, for me. And I can tweak the directshow filters :)

Koleckai Silvestri

Preferred - Web App... Best solution on a laptop with a keyboard and mouse with no remote.

Most used in my house - Roku. All four televisions use a Roku to access Emby.

Rumbaar

Direct connected TV to Media PC, EMBY Theater.  Mobile, I use Android Mobile (though currently having major issues with this working correctly) so have to resort to browser.  Recently gotten a Roku, so using the EMBY channel for that.

the1legend

I would like to use ET all the time but it plays havoc with my receiver when I jump to/from a DTS-MA to a lower audio source. Kodi does this right every time. I also have a lot of music and that is just not one of Emby's strong points. So I just have Kodi manage music and disable the music plugin within Emby for Kodi. 

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I would like to use ET all the time but it plays havoc with my receiver when I jump to/from a DTS-MA to a lower audio source. Kodi does this right every time. I also have a lot of music and that is just not one of Emby's strong points. So I just have Kodi manage music and disable the music plugin within Emby for Kodi. 

I don't play much music on any of my apps whether it be ET, Android TV, or Kodi but instead cast most music from my Android app. Beside the awesome visualizations how does Kodi do music better?

clarkss12

I have a multitude of different clients that I have been testing, but I am swaying toward my Samsung Smart Tizen TV, as my primary viewing client.  Reason being, simplicity.  I have media scattered throughout my network, and with Emby as the media aggregater, I can use only my TV for media consumption.  Of course, it is physically unable to passthrough HD audio, but it does passthrough Dolby Digital, which for daily media consumption, it is most acceptable.  There are more enhancements/improvements that can and should be made, but there has been a lot of enhancements/improvements since I started using Emby a few shorts months ago.

I like Emby Theater running on Windows 10 microPC connected to my Samsung TV, via my Denon AVR, but I am too lazy to bend over to pick up my universal remote to change input sources.

Emby running on my MiBox (official Android TV OS), is nice also, especially the live TV interface, but again requires me to pick up my universal remote.

Emby running on my older LG smart phone is very nice also, especially when I am out of my local area network.  I can watch live TV on my phone when sitting at the mall waiting for significant other to finish shopping.  Sure makes life good.

Deathsquirrel

There isn't yet a perfect client.m ET on Windows would be best for me if I could magically get it working on the xbox one with madvr & passthrough hd audio.  As is, ET on xbox one is most convenient and on PC is best video/audio but has a lot of annoying pc maintenance and control issues.

CharleyVarrick

For enjoying content:

Emby for Kodi 95% of the time

Emby web interface 4.9% of the time

Emby Theater 0.1%

For managing content:

Emby web interface exclusively

the1legend

I don't play much music on any of my apps whether it be ET, Android TV, or Kodi but instead cast most music from my Android app. Beside the awesome visualizations how does Kodi do music better?

Kodi has better organization and layout, it's search is more powerful and will not limit results. Having a large music library with obscure artist and classical music, it's hard to find what your looking for sometimes in ET. Don't get me wrong, I like Emby and I'm a lifetime supporter, it just that other apps like Kodi or Subsonic (which I use to playback music on a whole home audio system), are better suited for music search and playback. You can't be the best at everything.

legallink

My WAF factor hit an all time high with the Apple TV but it was pretty solid with the Roku. I use the web interface at work in the background and for management but mostly Rokus are used. I think my break down is:

4 rokus

2 Apple tvs

Probably 7 iOS devices

2 androids devices.

I think that covers most of it.

arztonyou

For enjoying content:

Emby for Kodi 95% of the time

Emby web interface 4.9% of the time

Emby Theater 0.1%

For managing content:

Emby web interface exclusively

This is pretty close to how I use clients as well, except that I do occasionally use the Android mobile app to manage the server.  There are so many more options for customization in Kodi that, to me at least, it is worth having that extra link in the chain instead of using an Emby client designed to interact with the server.  But I do occasionally use the Android TV client or Theater as a backup if Kodi is having issues.

Jdiesel

The results are interesting so far. I wonder how the Android TV hardware is split between the Shield TV, Fire TV, and Mi Box.

• Like 1

Macburp

The results are interesting so far. I wonder how the Android TV hardware is split between the Shield TV, Fire TV, and Mi Box.

I'm still using a Nexus Player. I'm sure there are still a few out there.

Jdiesel

I'm still using a Nexus Player. I'm sure there are still a few out there.

Ah yes, forgot about the Nexus Player. I'm still hoping that Google does a refresh on the Nexus Player someday. 

Emby for Kodi x3, 2 being on raspberry Pi's and 1 on my main computer.  I only discovered Emby through people that recommended it over at Kodi since I was about to redo everything and looking into a MySQL database since I was about to setup multiple instances of it throughout the house.  I enjoy the skins of Kodi, especially the latest one Estuary, its the first one that seems to really look professional yet still very simple.  I also enjoy how Kodi handles my sound since my main PC is hooked up to a surround system and Kodi seems to play movies and music the best through it.

On that note I did look at the latest release of Emby Theater and thought it was very nice looking and if Kodi wasn't an option I would be using that.  I also wanted to checkout Ember but since I wouldn't be using it the 5 dollars just to check it out didn't seem worth it but maybe down the road if Ill find a use for it.  The web browser is by far the weakest looking but it does get the job done and since I don't really use it outside of settings and a few other things its ok.  Is it true that Emby Theater will be the web replacement as well?  If that happens that would be perfect.

Jdiesel

Emby for Kodi x3, 2 being on raspberry Pi's and 1 on my main computer.  I only discovered Emby through people that recommended it over at Kodi since I was about to redo everything and looking into a MySQL database since I was about to setup multiple instances of it throughout the house.  I enjoy the skins of Kodi, especially the latest one Estuary, its the first one that seems to really look professional yet still very simple.  I also enjoy how Kodi handles my sound since my main PC is hooked up to a surround system and Kodi seems to play movies and music the best through it.

On that note I did look at the latest release of Emby Theater and thought it was very nice looking and if Kodi wasn't an option I would be using that.  I also wanted to checkout Ember but since I wouldn't be using it the 5 dollars just to check it out didn't seem worth it but maybe down the road if Ill find a use for it.  The web browser is by far the weakest looking but it does get the job done and since I don't really use it outside of settings and a few other things its ok.  Is it true that Emby Theater will be the web replacement as well?  If that happens that would be perfect.

You can already use ET over the web by going to:

https://tv.emby.media 

Happy2Play

Is it true that Emby Theater will be the web replacement as well?  If that happens that would be perfect.

It has been mentioned in other topics that the ET design will replace the web client.

Edited by Happy2Play

It has been mentioned in other topics that the ET design will replace the web client.

Well, not exactly.  The two are starting to share more and more and much about presentation and functionality will be shared between them.  However, you shouldn't assume that means that the web app is going to adopt the current ET design...

Ian-Highlander

We have Emby for media center on two different media pcs in the house.

I've tried Theater over and over again and keep going back to try it again to see if I can train mine and my wifes minds to accept it, but we both hate the interface as it stands at the moment and always go straight back to EMC (old dog, new tricks issue maybe).

I keep saying I'm going to have a go at building a theme for Theater at some point and see if I can make it more how we'd want it to look which might help but finding the time is another issue.

But apart from that one of the biggest show stoppers for us right now client wise is no support of internal PCI-E TV capture cards. Basically if you want to use the live TV/recording functionality within Emby you have to have HDHomeRuns. I don't want to buy HDHomeruns, I have perfectly good internal PCI-E TV cards that probably cost more originally, which are multi tuner each and work beautifully with WMC, everything our WMC machines record goes into a network share on our server and both machines have that as a library so we can watch any of our recorded TV on either machine just like you can with Emby. The WMC live TV interface is very hard to beat in my opinion but I don't currently have the option to try it without spending a chunk of money on new receivers that I don't want or need.

Give me the ability for Emby to manage my internal PCI-E cards and give me the functionality I get from WMC's live TV with them (I can easily slap them in the server if need be) and who knows.

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 2

Give me the ability for Emby to manage my internal PCI-E cards and give me the functionality I get from WMC's live TV with them (I can easily slap them in the server if need be) and who knows.

We want to do that but there is also ServerWMC now...

Ian-Highlander

We want to do that but there is also ServerWMC now...

Thanks yeah I ran it for a bit to see how we got on with it, can't remember why we stopped using it as it was quite a long time ago now (and I'm getting old an the memory's not what it used to be lol), but we did have issues that weren't worth the effort to overcome when the way we do it now worked better. I'd much rather have Emby deal with everything for me centrally and natively and be able to set and forget the whole lot but unfortunately it just doesn't right now.