Parental control

TVPLEX

Apart from the controls that we have for schedules by contents, it would be possible to control a library or plugin through a pin.

• Like 2

Not impossible but a difficult task because it would involve every single app and interface having to change how it interacts with the library.

We've found that the user-based configuration seems to work well for almost all situations.  Can you explain why a prompt would be better for yours?

Both emby and plex have based parental control on the age rating or block content from the library or channels. It would not be easier and simpler that instead of opening as many user accounts put only one access pin to the folder or channel. As an example I would put an android tv I have a general account for the whole family and only with a pin would restrict access to an adult library.

Thank you

Yes, but then you also lose all other user-based features like next up, resume, favorites, library configuration, etc.

That is why it is all user-based now and having two different ways to do the same thing becomes confusing for the user and difficult to support. 

That's just the rationale for why it works the way it does.  We will monitor this just like all other requests.  Thanks.

• 3 years later...
Nostromo86
On 11/02/2017 at 16:28, ebr said:

Yes, but then you also lose all other user-based features like next up, resume, favorites, library configuration, etc.

That is why it is all user-based now and having two different ways to do the same thing becomes confusing for the user and difficult to support. 

That's just the rationale for why it works the way it does.  We will monitor this just like all other requests.  Thanks.

Hi

Sorry i dont understand the problem,

Is it really complicated to configure a pin code when you want to launch a forbidden movie?

I have 30 users, and each user has children. I'm not going to create accounts for 5 year olds. they will not know how to disconnect in order to reconnect. Your method is not easy.

4 hours ago, Nostromo86 said:

Is it really complicated to configure a pin code when you want to launch a forbidden movie?

Hi.  It makes for a very confusing system when there are multiple, very different ways, to achieve the same task - each with trade-offs.  Our entire system is designed around user profiles and individual behavior based on the user.

• 1 month later...

sorry guy i wrote a post about pin control for parent control and didnt see this post... 

this was my message from before hope you can help :)

hey guys, i have been getting together a horror section for my server to show at halloween, and had a look in the parental controls and would like to ask if it would be possible to instead hiding the film (s) to maybe have something like sky does where you can see the film displayed with all artwork but to watch the film or trailer you would have to put in a pin code to allow the playback. the code could be the same as the local pin code for (your) local network  so once you have chosen your code it will work for both parental controls and local network. 

this could be a great idea to also mention that in the [metadata manager] you could also have an option to have a tick box to set up for parental control pin code required if you would like to select certain films / tv shows. or for batches you can then go to parental control main settings as they are now. 

hope this makes some sense as im fairly tired haha  

Possible, yes, but more complex as every app will require updates for that. But there are open feature requests asking for that, so you could lend your support to them.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Abejo
El 21/08/2020 a las 11:12 a.m., ebr dijo:

Hola. Es un sistema muy confuso cuando hay múltiples formas muy diferentes de lograr la misma tarea, cada una con compensaciones. Todo nuestro sistema está diseñado en torno a un perfil de usuario y comportamiento individual basado en el usuario.

I don't see what the problem is, in the library configuration you could select a box that is "protection with pin" for example, when the person trying to enter is selected, the pin will be requested, and it would not be influencing the rest of the settings