Emby time incorrect

dreamwc

It's strange.  On my LG I see the same problem as you (app is behind the TV by one hour when DST active), but advancing the timezone by 1 hour fixes it and the TV and app then have the same (correct) time.  It may be that in different regions this is behaving slightly differently wrt timezones

Edited by SamES

lwagstaff

Don't know, on my TV I select my time zone which is Victoria Australia, the TV sets the time zone to the correct time allowing for day light saving

which adds an hour to the usual time, there is no adjustment for daylight saving so I assume at the end of daylight saving the TV will automatically

alter the time and bring it back an hour. My other set top boxes have either a manual time offset or you can specify a TV channel to use as a reference

and they automatically update to the time of the channel when you turn them on. The LG makes no mention of this so maybe it is using a time reference

via the internet, or possibly just selects a channel and compares it against the time zone to determine when daylight saving starts and ends.

The curious thing is Emby doesn't seem to use the tv clock as changing it has no affect on the Emby clock, when you press the home button you have

both the tv clock displayed and Emby clock, the tv clock changes as you alter the tv time but the Emby clock remains fixed, yet it must be getting it from

somewhere when you fire up the app?

But if you are in Victoria,Australia, you should be setting +11.0 hours for Timezone

lwagstaff

Yes I am, the problem is a software bug in Emby, I found the auto time update control on the tv, if I deactivate it and change the time to +1

hour then start up Emby I have the correct time on Emby and 1 hour in advance on the tv, if I then change the tv time back to the correct 

time I then have the correct time on the tv and Emby, the problem then is if I leave Emby and go back to live tv then back to Emby, Emby

changes its time to be 1 hour behind again. It seems when you switch to Emby it updates its clock and for some reason displays it as

an hour behind the tv time. 

lwagstaff

ok if I manual set the clock to the correct time, set time zone to be +10 and fire up Emby time is correct on both tv and Emby,

as soon as you set update time automatically tv time remains the same and Emby loses an hour.

So it seems if I wish to leave tv set to update time automatically I'll have to live with the one hour time difference.

Yes I am, the problem is a software bug in Emby, I found the auto time update control on the tv, if I deactivate it and change the time to +1

hour then start up Emby I have the correct time on Emby and 1 hour in advance on the tv, if I then change the tv time back to the correct 

time I then have the correct time on the tv and Emby, the problem then is if I leave Emby and go back to live tv then back to Emby, Emby

changes its time to be 1 hour behind again. It seems when you switch to Emby it updates its clock and for some reason displays it as

an hour behind the tv time. 

No actually it is an LG platform defect, and we have reported it to LG. 

• Like 1

ok if I manual set the clock to the correct time, set time zone to be +10 and fire up Emby time is correct on both tv and Emby,

as soon as you set update time automatically tv time remains the same and Emby loses an hour.

So it seems if I wish to leave tv set to update time automatically I'll have to live with the one hour time difference.

You're on the right track.  So if you set it to +11 and auto time update, restart the TV and app, what do you get?

lwagstaff

Luke,

Yes, after doing some more testing after I made that statement I agree, it seems the time retrieved by Emby is a value that is corrected by the time zone setting

and not the actual time shown on the TV. It is rather strange how it works, even with the tv set to manual time, changing the time zone changes the tv time, it

obviously shouldn't. The time zone setting also modifies the time Emby retrieves.

lwagstaff

You're on the right track.  So if you set it to +11 and auto time update, restart the TV and app, what do you get?

In my case I need to turn off auto time update, I need to set the time zone to plus 10 hours (normally plus 11) and then set the

tv clock to the correct time, both Emby and the TV time are now correct. Changing the time zone offsets the time retrieved by

Emby, if the tv clock shows 10:00PM and the time zone is +10 Emby shows 10:00 PM, if the time zone is +11 Emby shows 9:00PM

if it is +9 Emby shows 11:00PM etc.

My tv only behaves this way in manual setting, if you turn it to auto, changing the time zone only affects the tv time, Emby is always

1 hour behind the actual time, very strange.  

Edited by lwagstaff

• 5 years later...
JTFlynn

Emby Server ALWAYS uses the timezone setting of its host OS as others have said.
Set Emby's host OS timezone to match your location (in this example Emby Server is installed in Ubuntu)
1. In terminal, enter the following to verify Ubuntu's timezone setting:
timedatectl
The output will show the timezone Ubuntu and Emby are currently using for clock time and timestamps.
In this example, it was (UTC, +0000). I live in America so my system timezone needed to be reset.
2. In terminal, enter the following to list America's timezones, (substitute your country for America):
timedatectl list-timezones | grep America
3. Make note of your timezone to use in the next step (my timezone setting is America/New_York).
sudo timedatectl set-timezone America/New_York
4. After the reset, restart Emby Server and it will utilize the new timezone setting.
NOTE: If you have Emby Server installed in an OS in a Docker container on your NAS, you will have to drill down to the
OS of that container and verify/reset the timezone.

• Thanks 1