Beta - TV Guide

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

New guide is looking good. One suggestion is to have Tune to channel as the default or top option when selecting a program from the guide. Right now it is record series.

New guide is looking good. One suggestion is to have Tune to channel as the default or top option when selecting a program from the guide. Right now it is record series.

Hit the "Play" button on your remote instead of "OK"...

From the beta release thread :)

• Access to display options.  Right now, it will read your options from the web app but you cannot change them from the Roku app yet.

So, bring up the guide in the web app and change your sort and it will carry over to this app (you'll have to re-start the app right now).

Hit the "Play" button on your remote instead of "OK"...

After using this for a week now I am finding myself creating so many accidental recordings because I am attempting to play the channel with the ok button. Any consideration to moving the tune to channel as the top selection? I think most users will be tuning to a channel more often than recording. I know the play button will trigger the playing of the channel but the ok button is used as the selection button throughout the rest of the app.
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

I think it makes the most sense from user convenience standpoint.  Not to mention having the play button at the top is how the Android TV app and Emby Theater are.

Jdiesel

One other suggestion would be to enable long press/holding down the arrow buttons to allow continuous scrolling in the guide. This already is possible in the other app menus. My finger gets tired clicking 100+ times to get through the guide lol. 

After using this for a week now I am finding myself creating so many accidental recordings because I am attempting to play the channel with the ok button. Any consideration to moving the tune to channel as the top selection? I think most users will be tuning to a channel more often than recording. I know the play button will trigger the playing of the channel but the ok button is used as the selection button throughout the rest of the app.

Hitting the play button on the remote is how you directly play all other content in the app as well.

With the way it is now you have the absolute fewest clicks possible (given there is no 'record' button on the remote) for both primary operations on an item.

You want to play it - one click - the "Play" button

You want to record it - two clicks (usually) by selecting it and hitting the Record button

That just makes absolute perfect sense to me.  If everyone disagrees then we can change it but it will mean that it will take extra clicks to record something because we are repeating another function.

I may be blind but I can't see the play button only ok I will have another look tonight.

What device do you have?  Both my Roku 3 remote (old one) and my new Premiere remote have a Play/Pause button on them.

One other suggestion would be to enable long press/holding down the arrow buttons to allow continuous scrolling in the guide. This already is possible in the other app menus. My finger gets tired clicking 100+ times to get through the guide lol. 

Scrolling is very slow on these devices.  You can move much faster by repeatedly hitting the button.  However, if you need to go far this can get tiring :).

What if, instead, we had an easy way for you to jump to a particular channel or time slot...?

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Something like that would likely work. I only have 112 channels but even that many can be tiresome to scroll through. 

Scrolling is very slow on these devices.  You can move much faster by repeatedly hitting the button.  However, if you need to go far this can get tiring :).

What if, instead, we had an easy way for you to jump to a particular channel or time slot...?

That would be interesting.  What about using the RW/FF buttons on the remote to jump a page at a time within the guide?

I am blind it was below the ok button now have to start reporting errors as live tv sometimes works sometimes doesnt and when it does it is very slow but i assume that is because the emby server pc is not fast.

That would be interesting.  What about using the RW/FF buttons on the remote to jump a page at a time within the guide?

The problem there is - which direction...?

The problem there is - which direction...?

I would think RW would be page up and FF page down.  I know it may be confusing but there aren't enough buttons on the remote.

You also could use the RW/FF to advance timeframes.  Maybe 4 or 12 hour increments?

I think the paging of channels is a more needed feature since users can have hundreds of channels.

You also could use the RW/FF to advance timeframes.  Maybe 4 or 12 hour increments?

That's my point.  It would not be obvious which direction you are paging (up/down or right/left).  Whichever way we did it some large group of people would want it the other way.  I know you are immediately going to now suggest an option but almost no one would discover and properly understand what it did so... :).

Can long button presses be used for page up/down?

I think that would end up being difficult to discover and probably not end up being all that much faster than just arrowing.

Wait until we have the jump methods and then see how it works.

You can now hold down the arrow keys to move without having to repeatedly press the button.

(left not doing this is a known issue)

• 4 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Any chance to revisit the order of the default dialog when selecting a show from the guide? I have accidentally set rules to record entire series multiple times now. I use a Harmony remote and the button placement of the "play" button is not convenient for starting playback from the guide to I default to using the "OK" button to start playback. I still think the order should be from most commonly used item to least which in my opinion should be in order from top to bottom - Play, Record, Record Series. 

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

We've talked about making the default (top button) be the tune to channel option when the item is currently in progress.

• 1 month later...
Jdiesel

We've talked about making the default (top button) be the tune to channel option when the item is currently in progress.

Is this still something that is being considered?