In-video bookmarks

mythofechelon

mythofechelon

I think it'd be nice if there was an option to bookmark parts of videos so I could quickly jump to my favourite parts.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

funwithmedia

It might not be a bad idea to give the user the option of storing the bookmarks as a datafile next to the video (like we have the option of storing NFO files next to videos). Then those that wish to are more able to make manual edits to the list of bookmarks.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...
Jdiesel

Yes please, I like jumping to certain scenes to test/show off my home theater and this would make launching the video right at the correct spot possible.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Raymendo said:

Any news :)?

Hi, not yet, sorry, but we still like this idea.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
Cheesegeezer

@BillOatman this could be a nice plugin for you? Using edl’s and chapter insert points.

Alternatively a user could use the chapterapi plugin and create new chapter points.

BillOatman
On 12/6/2022 at 1:26 PM, Cheesegeezer said:

@BillOatman this could be a nice plugin for you? Using edl’s and chapter insert points.

Alternatively a user could use the chapterapi plugin and create new chapter points.

The Comskipper plugin could be used for this now.  Just create a EDL file skipping everything except what you want to watch.

It's basically using the EDL file in a polar opposite manner, but should work :)

Cheesegeezer
1 minute ago, BillOatman said:

The Comskipper plugin could be used for this now.  Just create a EDL file skipping everything except what you want to watch.

It's basically using the EDL file in a polar opposite manner, but should work :)

haha i knew you'd know!!! 

BillOatman
2 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

haha i knew you'd know!!! 

Ha!   Oh plus turn off the plugins notifications :)

• 8 months later...
morrigan

Add my +1 to this feature request. And maybe treat the bookmarks like chapters within a movie so you can jump back and forth.

rbjtech

So inserting a chapter manually is not an issue - you could use a chapter editor in the MKV itself or use the ChapterAPI Plugin to just insert one within emby.

However, I would imagine that to make the function actually useful - you need the ability to add a 'bookmark' directly from the Emby Client.

ie - you 'pause' and then on the 'settings/more' on screen playback options - you select  'add bookmark'.

What it adds is also important - it could just add a 'chapter' called 'Bookmark' - which would work, but emby also has the option to add 'special' markers (used in Intro/credit functions) and maybe it could add a 'bookmark' marker type instead.   However, this would then need to be recognised by all the clients - so probably not something that is easily added.

Personally, the ability to add a manual 'chapter point/bookmark' as a normal chapter from the client would be a very good start.

MBSki
17 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

However, I would imagine that to make the function actually useful - you need the ability to add a 'bookmark' directly from the Emby Client.

ie - you 'pause' and then on the 'settings/more' on screen playback options - you select  'add bookmark'.

What it adds is also important - it could just add a 'chapter' called 'Bookmark' - which would work, but emby also has the option to add 'special' markers (used in Intro/credit functions) and maybe it could add a 'bookmark' marker type instead.   However, this would then need to be recognised by all the clients - so probably not something that is easily added.

Agree, IMO it definitely needs a function like "add bookmark" in the clients and those "bookmarks" need to be easily accessible on their own, separate from all the other chapter marks otherwise they'll be impossible to find easily. Ideally there would be some way to filter on just the videos that have bookmarks so they're easy to get back to.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, MBSki said:

Ideally there would be some way to filter on just the videos that have bookmarks so they're easy to get back to.

A quick win would be to just add a 'Bookmark' Tag to any item that has bookmarks, but ideally, if the markertype=Bookmark - then you would just filter by those existing.

• Like 1

MBSki
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

A quick win would be to just add a 'Bookmark' Tag to any item that has bookmarks, but ideally, if the markertype=Bookmark - then you would just filter by those existing.

Good point, yes, that would work.