Video playback over DLNA updates the played status on Emby server?

Z0r0b

I tried accessing Emby from an old WD TV (running custom wdlxtv firmware). It shows as a media server device and i could access the Emby library.

After picking a media file from the "Next Up" view and watching it entirely, Emby did not detect that media had been played.

The next time i went back in to the "Next Up" view, the same media file was still showing.

When you playback over DLNA, does that mean no updates to playback status on Emby?

• Like 1

Hi @@Z0r0b, it does, but only newer devices that support certain api functions. there's still a little more work we need to do to make it work for all devices.

• 1 year later...
tchirou

Hello

Sorry to hijack the thread but it matches perfectly with my “problem”.

Whatever means I use to watch something through DLNA (pigasus media player on oculus which uses vlc framework, infuse and nPlayer apps on iOS), the watched statuses and resume points are never picked up by the emby server on Synology. But they are perfectly picked up by Plex media server so I know the apps are not broken. The Samsung smart tv doesn’t even can get through the video folder.

Are the watched statuses and resume points not supposed to be picked up through DLNA yet ? Or i have a specific and unique problem with my server ? I haven’t tweaked the Dlna settings on the server, just activated it.

Depending on your answer, I will of course create a thread with the proper logs

Thanks a lot

I guess it depends on what the technique is because like most things with DLNA, there are probably more than one. We do support the X_SetBookmark command, however if these apps are using something different then we probably still have more work to do.

tchirou

Ok thanks

When using my vr headset, i will stick with Plex Dlna which syncs with emby through trakt

I've created a ticket on our issue tracker to look at this and test with infuse as the dlna player.

tchirou

Great ! Thanks !

If you can test with vlc, it would be nice too

Edited by tchirou

• 4 weeks later...
tchirou

Hi Luke

Would you have any feedback on this issue ?

I just bought a lifetime emby premiere and it would be great to be able to use emby only

Thanks !

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it the expected behavior that dlna with vlc as the client doesn't update the play status?

How did you initiate playback? was it via browsing from Vlc, or starting from an Emby app using remote control features?