Stuttering audio when app minimized

aenima99x

aenima99x

As the title states, when the Emby app is minimized the playing audio begins to stutter. Bring the app back into focus and the stuttering stops.

I've attached the log from the phone. http://paste.ubuntu.com/23902105/

Steps taken were -

1. Start Emby app

2. Login

3. started playback on a song - it played fine

4. inimized Emby app - audio stutters

5. brought app back into focus - audio plays fine again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
stuartsjg

I have the same issue, stuttering playback and and then it gives up.

Will try the beta and feedback.

stuartsjg

No change with the beta update. I've done a screen & sound recording showing playback totally fine when doing anything within emby but as soon as you try to come out the app it starts stuttering.

I have previously uninstalled and reinstalled and this did fix it but only briefly.

It's as if the process priority is dropping to being a background task so not enough resources left to the app for playback.

Video can be found at this link: https://youtu.be/qfDOLodHl3E

Thanks guys. I've got this worked out now. It will be resolved in the next beta update. Thanks !

stuartsjg

Hi,

Sorry but despite the efforts I still have the same issue :( . I'll gets logs downloaded later if that helps.

Thanks,

Stuart

cchsieh

I use another old phone HTC M7 with Resurrection Remix OS / Android 7.1.1 to test. It seems playing smoothly most time and sometimes stuttering a little.

Emby for Android beta 2.8.88

Edited by cchsieh

stuartsjg

Hi, tried an uninstall and reinstall of the beta with no effect.

Sony Z5 (E6653) Android 7.0

The Sony diagnostics don't report errors with the emby app (I.e it's not locked or frozen) but it is saying Im using 2.1GB of 2.7GB RAM with an exclamation mark so not sure if I need find where the ram is going perhaps.

• 1 month later...
stuartsjg

Hi, I have been leaving the app open when ever I was using it but today I accidentally opened an app following a notification and emby played on! No stuttering, or other audio issues.

On 3.8.34 beta so not sure at what point this was addressed but whenever ot was it appears to be working well.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
philstevenson25

Hello,

Unfortunately I'm also experiencing this stuttering when the app is minimized (using the open beta version). My phone is an LG G3 and I've updated it to Android 7.1.1. Previously I had it on Android 6 or whatever the latest official release of LG's software was through T-Mobile. Both versions of the OS had the same behavior.

The problem doesn't always seem to happen - I can't nail down under what exact conditions it works better than others - but for me it happens most when I have headphones physically connected to the jack. Curiously it works much, much better when connected via bluetooth (although the advance track function doesn't work through the bluetooth receiver, nor does unpause).

I really like Emby so far and I appreciate all the work that goes into it. Unfortunately this sorta kills the app for me. :(

I can attach a log if you need one.

UPDATE: I've noticed that the app works okay in the background with headphones plugged in when play resumes automatically after reconnecting the headphones. There is still some stuttering when you switch the focus back and forth, but it's improved. I also want to say that the web interface works fantastically on my phone and is a good stop gap solution.

Edited by philstevenson25

cchsieh

Hi, I have been leaving the app open when ever I was using it but today I accidentally opened an app following a notification and emby played on! No stuttering, or other audio issues.

Hi, could you please provide more infomation about the app and notification?

The stuttering sound problem is still the same in my phone ><~ .

Thanks a lot.