BlueRay rip transcoding

clarkss12

clarkss12

Been testing some of my BlueRay rips playing on my Samsung Tizen Emby app, most play very well, but some have problems.

My biggest question, how can Plex play the same video file that Emby has to transcode??

I am playing "We Were Soldiers" encoded in mpeg2 with DTS as second audio track, first track ac3.  Plex plays this file flawlesslly, with Dolby Digital, however Ember is transcoding the video, so it is unwatchable.  My server is a very low  powered device that does not have transcoding capability.

My client is set up to never show subtitiles, so that should not be a cause.  Also, my TV does not support DTS, but it appears that Dolby Digital is one of the audio codecs embedded into the stream.  So in my mind, your Emby app is not selecting the Dolby Digital stream, but trying to transcode the DTS stream.

We Were Soldiers ffmpeg log.txt

We Were Soldiers media info.txt

post-38990-0-28628900-1485899695_thumb.jpg

We Were Soldiers server log.txt

I didn't realize the Samsung TV supported mpeg2video, or we just hadn't tried it before, @@SamES?

Yes, for mkv we have added it.  Bitrate is high.

from the log :  Reason=Unknown Profile.VideoBitrate Condition: LessThanEqual. ConditionValue: 20000000.

@@clarkss12, can you please remind me which model TV and version of app you are running.  I think at present you need minimum of .21 and model must have UHD support to stop this transcoding.  

• Like 1

clarkss12

Samsung model  UN65KU6500.  App version  Version 3.1.2.0.

One other question about subtitles.  I down loaded a srt subtitle and placed it in the movie folder, but when playing the movie and select the srt sub does not show up.  If I try to use the "embedded" sub, the the video tries to transcode.

Can you please try and update the app from the app store then try both playback and the subs again.  I suspect you are not on the latest version.

clarkss12

I am sorry I miss understood about which version you were looking for, I posted my server version.

My Emby app client running on my Samsung TV is 1.0.20.  I tested my BlueRay rip (We were Soldiers) again, but still transcoding.  From the mediainfo I posted earlier, AC3 is the first audio track, but it seems like Emby is not seeing that track, and picking up the DTS track.  I don't think my samsung TV supports DTS, but I could be totally wrong.

All I know, is that Plex plays this video flawlessly, with Dolby Digital.

As a side note, Plex fails on some of my videos, that Emby plays flawlessly.

I do know that this problem can be solved.

clarkss12

Here is a link to the specs for my TV.  It says supports Dolby Digital Plus AND DTS Premium Sound 5.1, so this throws my "theory" a curve.

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0d0a46f

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Duration                                 : 2 h 18 min
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 634 MiB (2%)
Title                                    : Surround 5.1
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : ES Discrete / Core
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 2 h 18 min
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 7 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 93.750 FPS (512 spf)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.46 GiB (5%)
Title                                    : Surround 5.1
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Edited by clarkss12

One other question about subtitles.  I down loaded a srt subtitle and placed it in the movie folder, but when playing the movie and select the srt sub does not show up.  If I try to use the "embedded" sub, the the video tries to transcode.

For this, please check your subtitle file name against the supported subtitle naming conventions that are listed on our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

According to the manual for your model, mpeg video is limited to 20Mb/s, so this is what we have coded for.  It would not be the first time that the specs are incorrect, or maybe the limit has been increased in firmware but the manual has not been update

So the question is, what should the limit be?

5891b4b937554_Capture2.png

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

FrostByte

According to the manual for your model, mpeg video is limited to 20Mb/s, so this is what we have coded for.  It would not be the first time that the specs are incorrect, or maybe the limit has been increased in firmware but the manual has not been update

Some of those specs are also going to be hardware related with many of the upper models having more processors, etc.  So it may sometimes come down to how far are people willing to suffer if it's too slow, or are you willing to listen to people complain because their tv can't handle the files without being transcoded

Edited by FrostByte

clarkss12

5891b4b937554_Capture2.png

But, again, how can Plex play the same video flawlessly?  What are they doing different?  This is all new to me, but I am learning a lot from you guys.  One other thing I tried was playing the file directly from my NAS.  I am not sure what you call it , but I attached pictures showing what I am talking about.

When I play the videos using the Emby (don't know what you call it), it will not play, (as a matter of fact, it killed my server).  When I play the video straight from my WDMycloud NAS, it plays perfectly with Dolby Digital.  

Hope this makes sense.

post-38990-0-71365600-1485955126_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-03135700-1485955132_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-42651500-1485955137_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-97880800-1485955142_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-77154400-1485955147_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-28893200-1485955151_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-43953400-1485955154_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-42645700-1485955158_thumb.jpg

post-38990-0-87950800-1485955161_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

clarkss12

For this, please check your subtitle file name against the supported subtitle naming conventions that are listed on our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried the methods listed from this link, but it still transcodes when I select the srt subtitle.  It plays with "Direct Playing" if there is no subtitle selected.......

Thanks for your suggestion.  I tried the methods listed from this link, but it still transcodes when I select the srt subtitle.  It plays with "Direct Playing" if there is no subtitle selected.......

You probably had the other subtitle selected. Again, please make sure to accompany this with how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

I will try and make some mpeg samples at different bitrates and see if I can find the right limit

• Like 1

Now the fun begins.

@@Luke, this will DirectPlay despite it being way above the documented limits.  I don't doubt that @@clarkss12's sample also DirectPlays even though it is a more mid-range unit

Not sure what a plausible limit is now?  You know, I think the only thing we've come across that had to be transcoded was TrueHD.  Crazy idea, but it might make more sense to swap the logic and just set everything to DirectPlay and then force transcoding as the exception when specific issues are identified.  

589326d5364ee_Capture.png

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Just worry about codec support for transcoding, let the user determine bitrate for all codecs in settings

• Like 1