Beta - Unable to disable sub-titles

pclausen

pclausen

Some of my movies have sub-titles.  On my HTPC (running ET), I can hit pause and then arrow over and enable/disable subs.  It works as expected.

On the new Roku Beta, hitting the * and setting subs to NO (or disabled I forget which it is), does not make them go away.  It is as if that flag gets ignored.

Jdiesel

5890f0bc0a8dc_Capture.pngYou need to disable or change the global subtitles settings in your user profile on the web app. You can find this by clicking on the "Person" icon and going to playback settings.

Edited by Jdiesel

pclausen

I should have mentioned my profile already matches what you are showing in your screenshot.

Issue is only with the Roku client.  With my ET client, I can toggle subtitles on and off.  I fixed this particular title I had this issue with by remuxing it and removing the subtitle track.

Some of my movies have sub-titles.  On my HTPC (running ET), I can hit pause and then arrow over and enable/disable subs.  It works as expected.

On the new Roku Beta, hitting the * and setting subs to NO (or disabled I forget which it is), does not make them go away.  It is as if that flag gets ignored.

If that's the case then the subs must have been being burned into the video.  We have not gotten any custom subtitle handling into the beta yet so it is only really going to work with internal subs the Roku player can understand itself.

pclausen

Ah ok, so for media that contains subtitle tracts (such as HDMV PGS), setting Roku Beta to subtitles = None has no effect.  But for separate subtitle files (such as .srt files generated by Emby) setting subtitles = no in the Beta Client should disable them?

The subs were definitely not burned into the title in question.  If they were, there would have been no way for me to turn them off using ET (or VLC where I could also turn them off).

Edited by pclausen

They were being burned in by a transcode most likely.

Were they PGS or another graphical format?

pclausen

Ok, so I re-ripped this BRD title to get back the PGS subs (and also pulled in the regular Dolby track).

So here's what the mkv container looked like once I was done:

EmbyRokuSubs-01.JPG

Which is consistent with what Emby web client is telling me:

EmbyRokuSubs-03.JPG

Playback in Emby web client allows me to toggle subtitles on and off (and it works as it should).  Note from the below screen shot that the subs are really closed caption as, in addition to the spoken words being shown, sound effects are also spelled out, so to speak.

EmbyRokuSubs-04.JPG

In the web client, I'm also able to select between the 2 available audio tracks:

EmbyRokuSubs-05.JPG

Now, on the Roku client, this particular title will only play for 20 seconds, then I get a "Loading" where the progress bar stays at 0% indefinitely.  If I hit the * on the remote before I hit the 20 second mark, I get this:

EmbyRokuSubs-06.JPG

So it is as if the Roku client has the old mkv version "cached" somehow.  (the old .mkv version being the one where I stripped the sub track and regular dolby track).  But I know it isn't cached since I power cycled the Roku and even the entire server running Emby.

At any rate, this is not a big deal, I just find this behavior odd, especially the part where the Roku will no longer play this particular .mkv file.

Finally, my definition of burned in subtitles, is that they are embedded within the video track and there is no way to remove them, regardless of the client used.  A good example of this would be an american movie captured with a camcorder, and there would be Chinese subs in the capture that could not be removed since they would not have a separate track in the capture.

Edited by pclausen

As I said previously, none of this subtitle work has been done on the beta yet so that was all as expected.

When your video item contains only PGS (graphical) subs, then the only way to get them to display on a client that cannot handle that format (which the Roku is) is to "burn them in" to the video stream before delivering it to the client.  That is what the web client is doing but it is doing it on the fly - taking your original item with the separate tracks and creating a new video with the subs overlaid and then sending that to the browser.

Eventually, the Roku app will be able to do that too but the Roku player doesn't know these subs even exist so there is no way for you to tell it to yet.

• 1 year later...
brunovon

This is still a problem. I just started a movie on Roku and subtitles show. I have turned of subtitles in my user profile but it still shows in Roku as well as the web. But when I play the same movie thru Plex Roku or the web, no subtitles. So it seems Emby is creating subtitles when transcoding.

I jusy recently installed Emby. Although like the UI much better than Plex (I am a Plex premiere customer but am debating about getting lifetime membership so am trying Emby before deciding), Emby has some basic problems in their core software that needs to be fixed and stable.

1. Movie matching is terrible - Takes for ever to match. Half the time it does not and I have to go in and do identity by adding the IMDB id. The scan process is very slow. Auto scan when new movies are added just does not work. Plex in the other hand, instantly matches and shows up when new movies are added. So frustrating from a end users standpoint.

2. Resume movies does not work for some movies. It just starts playing from the beginning.

In a nutshell so far Emby needs to fix some of these bugs.

This is still a problem. I just started a movie on Roku and subtitles show. I have turned of subtitles in my user profile but it still shows in Roku as well as the web. But when I play the same movie thru Plex Roku or the web, no subtitles. So it seems Emby is creating subtitles when transcoding.

Did you bring up the OSD during playback and turn the subs off?

The setting on the server is a default.  Once you play an item, we remember the specifics (which audio and subtitle track) and play it that same way the next time.