How many active users can connect?

Zero_Kool

Zero_Kool

Hello All,

I was wondering theoretically or actually? How many users or profile connections can MB3 except. Say, I have 3 friends and they all want to connect over my public ip and authenticate themselves against the profile setup. I figure it may depend on the type of hardware MB3 is running on or just wondering if there was a software limitation?

Again, Big Fan...

Noob 

bloodtaker

There are 2 factors in this.

Internet upload speed and server hardware.

For a 720p stream you need at least 1.5 to 5 mbps for 1080 it goes up. This is for 1 stream so to have multiple streams add the amount for each stream so if you are running 3 1080p streams you are going to need upwards of 15mbps upload speed.

for 3 or 4 users a decent quad core will do you ok. I use a Amd Phenom II 910e 2.6ghz 8gb ram and i can run 4 1080p streams just fun could possibly go up to 6 or so but never need that many.

yardameus

I'm pretty sure as far as the server software goes, there is no set limit.  Just what your hardware and network can handle.

sydlexius

It would be pretty cool if someone could do some scalability testing for potential enterprise use (assuming some form of directory authentication can be integrated someday :))

bloodtaker

For enterprise use you are going to need a dual cpu setup basically if you are wanting more than say 15 to 20 concurrent users on at 1 time.  The more users you add the more power you will need especially if there is a lot of transcoding going on.

If you are specifically setting up for internet streaming, and you like to "ease" the burden on your server.   I suggest to rip your movies with h.264 "simple or standard profile", no higher than 720 p and minimize the decoding and subsequent recoding work your server has to do.. but in most cases, you find that for "at home" type servers you will find that the limit is your upload speed. Most cable connections may give you 10 to 30 Mbps download but only 1 to 3 upload. and some will start to throttle if they see you are streaming to multiple IP addresses simultaneously...

sydlexius

For enterprise use you are going to need a dual cpu setup basically if you are wanting more than say 15 to 20 concurrent users on at 1 time.  The more users you add the more power you will need especially if there is a lot of transcoding going on.

I'm sure the numbers are quite dependent on how many playback requests are being transcoded.  Assuming that number is closer to zero, then I'd wager that I/O is probably a bigger bottleneck than CPU (Apparently ServiceStack itself scales nicely).

• 2 years later...
kakvey

If my sever use CPU core i3.4th 4TB HHD ram 4GB so I want to ask that how many user that can access to that sever when streaming the video...... 

Edited by kakvey

A general rule of thumb is about 2500 passmark per transcoded stream.

Keep in mind that not all transcoding is the same and not everything may need to be transcoded.

legallink

Additionally, if you rip your content properly, the passmark score is irrelevant as there is no transcoding required.  I iniitally had just left everything as mkv, and could only support 3 streams at any given time.  Since then, I have converted everything to mp4, and can accomodate about 6 remote streams at any given time (it is internet upload limited at this point.).

Internally, I have no idea how many I can support, but I've never had an issue.