Emby with Amazon Alexa

chef

I wonder how clientCapabilities work on the server side? Will DLNA devices report audio only?

other than an @@Luke to get an answer, is there anything some of us catn do to test/assist?

As long as it is okay with @@nxenos83, then if you have your domain setup. We could get things rolling.

The only thing is that, until there is a way for emby.media to coordinate user requests from Amazon, the plugin itself has to be in development in your own developer.amazon account.

Did you setup a domain with SSL yet?

nxenos83

@@chef, no need to wait on me, you've taken it further that I got.

If you feel comfortable with the plugin, I wouldn't mind taking a look to see if I can get google home to reuse some of the same functions.

Once we've got good acceptance of the plugin handling the alexa requests, we can start looking into getting the emby connect server setup to forward the request.

nxenos83

Is there much interest in being able to play music through the echo that is hosted on emby server?

To avoid confusion, it would need to be a separate skill from what @@chef has put together, maybe 'Emby Music' or 'Emby Radio'

I'd say I have about 40% of the work needed to handle that. Echo really needs it's hand held throughout the process. It can only take one song at a time, and when it's about done, it sends a request asking for url of the next song. 

Edited by nxenos83

Guest asrequested

Is there much interest in being able to play music through the echo that is hosted on emby server?

To avoid confusion, it would need to be a separate skill from what @@chef has put together, maybe 'Emby Music' or 'Emby Radio'

I'd say I have about 40% of the work needed to handle that. Echo really needs it's hand held throughout the process. It can only take one song at a time, and when it's about done, it sends a request asking for url of the next song.

That would be a nice skill to have. I wish it were DLNA

nxenos83

That would be a nice skill to have. I wish it were DLNA

I don't really see much of a chance for this happening. I don't see DLNA compliance mentioned anywhere in the specs for Amazon's dedicated media player (Fire TV).

nxenos83

@@nxenos83

You asked about my Arduino motorized blinds. I made this little video for ya! Yep the binds are a bit loud, but they only take a moment to open/close. :)

This is awesome. I'm not sure if my wife would allow me to potentially destroy our blinds

Guest asrequested

I don't really see much of a chance for this happening. I don't see DLNA compliance mentioned anywhere in the specs for Amazon's dedicated media player (Fire TV).

Yeah, I know. I think it's a mistake they are making. But I guess they want us to buy music from them. Even using their desktop app is a problem. So if you make a skill, that could be good.

gjviii

As long as it is okay with @@nxenos83, then if you have your domain setup. We could get things rolling.

The only thing is that, until there is a way for emby.media to coordinate user requests from Amazon, the plugin itself has to be in development in your own developer.amazon account.

Did you setup a domain with SSL yet?

Close...working on it.   Not too technical

gjviii

Following the instructions on post 106, when i click to test the txt records i get this error

"No TXT Record Found. Set the TTL to 1 second or if you cannot set the TTL then you must wait the TTL (in seconds) so it updates before verifying the domain."

Attached is the screen shot of how my advanced tab is set up.   can anyone see what i have incorrect that is causing the error above?

thanks for any direction.

post-30-0-56639400-1488494987_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
PrincessClevage

Alexa has difficulty with accents - I'm in Australia but have a mixed Aussie/Yorkshire accent - when I ask her to turn off the lounge light, she oftens says that there's no device called "lambs light". ^_^

are you sure your not Kiwi/Yorshire:p (Aus/NZ joke)

PrincessClevage

Any reccomendation for a cost effective tv for kids room that would be the most future proof to support auto turn on functions (possibly http commands or other) for automated future voice control and Emby? Will any samsung andriod TV be suitable or only specific lower end models etc?

Edited by PrincessClevage

chef

Any reccomendation for a cost effective tv for kids room that would be the most future proof to support auto turn on functions (possibly http commands or other) for automated future voice control and Emby? Will any samsung andriod TV be suitable or only specific lower end models etc?

I think you're safe with any android based TV now a days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Grabber66

Hi,

are there any news how to "use" Emby with alexa. I have seen some youtube videos showing it, but i doesn't find any howto eg.

greets

Grabber66

Hi,

are there any news how to "use" Emby with alexa. I have seen some youtube videos showing it, but i doesn't find any howto eg.

greets

Grabber66

Stay tuned !

• Like 2

chef

Did you guys ever notice that the "emby" ask command was sometimes ignored because Alexa couldn't tell what skill you were asking for.

I haven't had a chance to experiment with this version of the skill, it was just an issue I ran into when I created my own emby skill a couple months back.

Angelblue05

@@chef

You mean like saying ask Emby, tell Emby?

Yes, it has some difficulty. The only guaranteed way I've found to get Alexa to know it's Emby is to say Start Emby, or Open Emby. Sometimes, Alexa will hear m. b., sometimes other nonesense when you use the skill shortcut (ask/tell).

Edited by Angelblue05