How to enable subtitles?

wyerd

I'm running v2.2.1 on my F-series TV and I'm wondering where the option is to enable subtitles, specificity forced. Captain America Civil War has subtitles at the start of the movie for the Russian language scene.

Edited by wyerd

During playback, click the down arrow to access the extended on screen controls. If the subtitles are available you can switch them on/off in there.

588f1ef93bd39_12OSD.png

• Like 1

CBers

Under Server settings in the app you can also set it to always play forced subtitles if you wish

I've never got FORCED subs to work :)

FrostByte

Really?  Hmm...always works for me.  All that setting does is mirror the servers own setting.  All my subtitles are external srt files with the forced flag

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

CBers

All my subtitles are external srt files with the forced flag

Ah, Forced Flag ??

How/where do you set that ??

FrostByte

If internal use MKVToolnix, if external rename the srt file with forced only subs to moviename.eng.forced.srt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
wyerd

During playback, click the down arrow to access the extended on screen controls. If the subtitles are available you can switch them on/off in there.

588f1ef93bd39_12OSD.png

I don't see this on my display. I get Chapters, Audio & Position.

This is the log:-

58bdfa0e101c3_IMG_0229.jpg

I do get the forced subtitles on using the iOS app.

58bdfa6cb5dc1_IMG_0213.png

Edited by wyerd

wyerd

I've installed 2.2.2 and subtitles are not being displayed. Are there any logs or anything else that can help in identifying the cause of the problem?

CBers

I've installed 2.2.2 and subtitles are not being displayed. Are there any logs or anything else that can help in identifying the cause of the problem?

Have you enabled them in the server? Can you turn them on/off in the options menu in the app? Does the item have subtitles?

• Like 1

FrostByte

There is a log, but it's only accessable from the app on your tv.  Go into the settings and then scroll over to the far right you should see the word "Logs".  You should be able to follow every movie played as it goes through a series of checks for, video, audio, subtitles, etc compatibility.

While in Settings you should see the same Server settings for subtitles mirrored from the server.  Make sure they are set correctly

wyerd

Have you enabled them in the server? Can you turn them on/off in the options menu in the app? Does the item have subtitles?

Yes. No as I only see Chapters, Audio & Position displayed. Yes.

Edited by wyerd

wyerd

There is a log, but it's only accessable from the app on your tv.  Go into the settings and then scroll over to the far right you should see the word "Logs".  You should be able to follow every movie played as it goes through a series of checks for, video, audio, subtitles, etc compatibility.

While in Settings you should see the same Server settings for subtitles mirrored from the server.  Make sure they are set correctly

This is what I had already posted earlier then https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44307-how-to-enable-subtitles/?p=428539

FrostByte

Okay, my fault.  That is the only log other than the normal server logs then.  Do you see the [CC] symbol in the movie details in the app?  If you see the CC symbol then the app knows there are subs.  Also what are the format of your subs?  This app only works with srt/UTF-8 formats.  It will not transcode subs like other apps and instead it sends 2 streams (one for the video and one in a box at the bottom of the screen for the text).

If you're still having an issue can you post your srt file?  I can see if it works here.

Edited by FrostByte

wyerd

This app only works with srt/UTF-8 formats.  It will not transcode subs like other apps and instead it sends 2 streams (one for the video and one in a box at the bottom of the screen for the text).

Ah, that explains it then as they are PGS subtitles! If the transcoding is part of the server, why can't it be displayed using the Samsung app if the iOS app can?

FrostByte

It used to transcode all Emby supported subs like other apps.  However, the original developer figured out a way so that the app could send 2 streams at once so that no transcoding is necessary.  So what you have is a video stream with a text box overlaying it at the bottom and no transcoding necessary.  The only catch to that is that the box at the bottom will only accept text as input (can't stream graphical images in that box). 

I suppose in a perfect world it should have done a little work and if no text subs were available then it look for other formats and transcode those.

cmcg

Perhaps try the "transcoding hack". In the client Settings / TV Settings, set Max Bitrate to a very low value. This will force transcoding.

• Like 1

Or extract/remove the PGS subtitles and store as external SRT files?

Not possible because PGS subtitles are graphical images, whereas SRT is plain text. So what you would want to do is leave the PGS in place and use our Open Subtitle downloading feature to supplement that with plain text subtitles.

• Like 2

CBers

Not possible because PGS subtitles are graphical images, whereas SRT is plain text.

I'm sure you can extract PGS subtitles using something like Subtitle Edit.

FrostByte

That's the program I use whenever I have a mkv files that have internal sup's.  It uses an OCR to convert to text.  Then I keep both in the folder

• Like 1

wyerd

Yes, I've used Subtitle Edit in the past but I like Luke's idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 2