Beta - Setting for Backdrops

BAS
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I was wondering if we could have a setting similar to the android tv app where we can turn off all the navigational backdrops everywhere in this interface and only have them be displayed when a user enters a item for more details.

I'm going to bump this in hopes in great traction from other users or perhaps @@ebr missed it.. I'm mainly after this as I find the performance of backdrops on Roku distracting to the smoothness of the scrollers and loading times. I much prefer only having backdrops on the landing details page of an item. 

Also in order for me to roll this to my external server users for additional testing results this option is required before I will do this as I want to limit all these backdrop art requests for bandwidth purposes and also for them to be able scroll and navigate more quickly. through the new interface.

Thanks for considering this.

Happy2Play

Well if it is a performance issue on some models then yes it needs to be an optional. 

Well if it is a performance issue on some models then yes it needs to be an optional. 

I have not seen any performance issues.

Happy2Play

I don't see an issue either but mine is a wired Ultra.  I would assume wired vs wireless will be a factor also.  But without know all the information of models and connections everything is just a guess.

Ok im back, yes I have a Roku 4, backdrops fine, wireless. I have Roku Stick local wireless, backdrop performance horrendous, even with excellent signal. So if its hardware then yes, remote users have Roku sticks or earlier gen Roku's for me and pretty sure all would be wireless. Would love the new design of this app and are great at getting me feedback but I would need this toggle before I would subject myself to their requests and issues to pass along. 

Edited by BAS

• 2 weeks later...

OK well I have rolled this to some of my external family testers and have had complaints about scrollers and general overall loading times on views. I took my Roku stick out of my house like I tend to do on vacations and tested and had extreme problems navigating and getting around even the device completely rebooting on me just from moving around. It all appears to be the loading of backdrops on each navigation move that really dips the performance. I know this isnt normal use case scenario but at the same time would like to use my Roku when I'm visiting family and friends.

'.

I just implemented a setting in the app.  Will be available with the next update.

It really is much appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1

Tested and working correctly. Speed and efficiency of navigation for external connections and lowered powered devices is much improved. Thank you.