App crashes 9/10 times after hitting play

zigzagtshirt
Go to solution Solved by zigzagtshirt,

zigzagtshirt

Android App crashes 9/10 times after hitting play.  Happens on all files of all types.  

Hit play and you get the black screen where the media is supposed to load, and no playback ever starts.  You can tap the screen to get the pop up buttons but that's it.  Eventually you have to hit the back button since no playback will happen but then the app freezes and after a minute it will force close.  Repeat 8 more times and finally the media will play.  Once you leave playback and return then the fun cycle beings again.

Android 7.1 on Nexus 6P.  

Been happening since two updates ago.  Everything was perfect before then.

zigzagtshirt

What I believe is the relevant part of the Android log:

17:47:08.001 [main] DEBUG App - Adding request to queue: http://192.168.1.2:8096/emby/system/info/public?format=json

17:48:15.654 [main] ERROR App - VolleyError com.android.volley.TimeoutError: null

com.android.volley.TimeoutError

com.android.volley.toolbox.BasicNetwork.performRequest(BasicNetwork.java:147)

com.android.volley.NetworkDispatcher.run(NetworkDispatcher.java:114)

zigzagtshirt

Looking through the server logs, all I see is references to my public wan IP, and not local LAN IP of the server when trying to play from Emby app.

Playing through any other clients, including the chrome browser on the same Android device, all IP mentions are the local address.

Could this have anything to do with it?

• Solution
zigzagtshirt

Maybe that was the issue...

Cleared app data in settings. Working perfectly now. Logs only show the local IP now.

Not sure if I'm interpreting what happened correctly, but at least it's fixed.

Did a few app uninstall/installs but that had no affect. I didn't realize uninstalling still leaves the data/cache behind.

zigzagtshirt

Also forgot that I changed the subnet on my local network recently. Might have still been trying to resolve a connection to the old local IP of my server. Perhaps it was trying to fall back to my public IP.