Search options (e.g. exclude actors, trailers, ...)

n00b42

Most of the time one uses the search to just search for Movie Titles or a quick way to access a TV Series.

But some search terms flood one with actors, trailers, or even episodes of a TV serial.

Not that they are wrong and sometimes you want to see them, and i fact I want to keep actors, trailers and episodes;

just not in the default search (but maybe having the option to search for that too)

Best Regards

• Like 12

MrWebsmith

yes def +1 to this.. starting with searching based on library type or global or person etc...

• Like 3

Happy2Play

yes def +1 to this.. starting with searching based on library type or global or person etc...

yes, filters need to added to search.

• Like 2

Guest topbanana

+1
Default should always be to search in the library you're currently in.    So search movies when browsing movies, etc.
Standard context based searches.

+1

Default should always be to search in the library you're currently in.    So search movies when browsing movies, etc.

Standard context based searches.

The TV apps do do this now.  Also, they break down the results into categories.

The TV apps do do this now.  Also, they break down the results into categories.

Good day,

Wonder why Luke not apply that first to main emby server front: web client.

My best

• Like 2

Luke and I are working on consistency between all the interfaces.  Some of it will just take more time.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Luke and I are working on consistency between all the interfaces.  Some of it will just take more time.

Still seems like the logic would start with the server, not the client though.

Still seems like the logic would start with the server, not the client though.

Usually it does but sometimes I see areas in the TV apps that just need to be different based on how the user interacts with them (with a remote control instead of point and click).

Honestly, in this particular case, I simply designed it the way I thought it was the most useful and did not refer to what the web app was doing.  I'm trying not to do that as much now and Luke and I are working closely together to align things.

I like this idea as well. Too often my search is cluttered with results from the live TV guide when all I am looking for is a movie on my server.

billzkid

+1 my main problem is with music. Often a song consists of a single word and you can't find it, because it doesn't even make the search.

So yeah it would be great to have an advanced search option where you choose to search only among artists or movie title and such.

First step and the one that could save a lot of trouble to the user would be to implement exact search option. e.g. query 'Nothing' would return as Nothing, Nothing Else Matters, Nothing new, .... while search query '"Nothing"' would only return Nothing.

Also it would have if exact matches are rated more relevant: e..g. if I search 'Nothing' it should be more relevant than 'Nothing Else matters'

• 1 month later...
gleep52

+1 big time.

It would be nice to have a master search (web client) as it is right now, but also have sub category searches.  So if I'm in my movies library, and I search, don't display anything other that stuff that's movie related that exists inside the movie category.  Like right now I get TONS of tv guide stuff...  But if I'm in my movies category, I'm not interested in the TV Guide results at that time.

An easier search method might be to just leave the master search how it is, but include sorting options like sorting by group/category...  So I can search and just select the movie results, and collapse or hide the Live TV, TV Shows, TV Guide, etc. from the results.

Thanks for all the hard work!

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, Sanderluc said:

Any update on this?

Hi, not yet sorry, but there are some good ideas here. Thanks.