File Server Upgrade

Swynol

Swynol

ye sorry points = network cable drops terminated with modules for RJ45 ends.

ye lots of points so hopefully any new stuff in the future that will be network connected will be easy to do.

mastrmind11

I'm very impressed w/ the unifi gear too.  USG is bulletproof and the AP-AC-LR installed in my attic by patching into the coax run up there w/ a MoCA bridge replaces 3 consumer grade wifi routers.  I get a -70ish db signal in my basement from my attic 2 floors down.

• Like 1

MSattler

I'm very impressed w/ the unifi gear too.  USG is bulletproof and the AP-AC-LR installed in my attic by patching into the coax run up there w/ a MoCA bridge replaces 3 consumer grade wifi routers.  I get a -70ish db signal in my basement from my attic 2 floors down.

Yup, have the USG and 2 of the AP-AC's and am loving live.  Works so well that I ended up setting up my gf's parents house as well.

And rpi2's make great Unifi controllers.

mastrmind11

Yup, have the USG and 2 of the AP-AC's and am loving live.  Works so well that I ended up setting up my gf's parents house as well.

And rpi2's make great Unifi controllers.

I hear ya, and I love the controller, especially w/ DPI enabled.  I just installed it on my emby server since it's running 24/7 anyway.

Swynol

ye i have my unifi controller on the same machine as emby. i might get a key one day. need another AC lite AP first.

• 1 month later...
Swynol

more toys arrived today.

Shopping list 

Unifi AP AC-Lite

850w EVGA Gold PSU

3x 4TB Hard drives

Noctua 120mm 3000rpm

2x Noctua 80mm fans

2x Noctua 40mm fans

2x thin mitx motherboards

Intel i3 6100t

593592a47b13f_File_000.jpg

Edited by Swynol

Swynol

Nice! What are the two motherboards for?

A project i am working on.....

So yesterday i installed the Unifi AC-lite. Finally have AC wireless in the house and a fuller coverage of the garden. Install was easy.

I installed the 120mm and the 2 80mm noctua fans into my server, noise levels are slightly less than they were and the temps are roughly the same maybe 1-2c less which is good.

I then went about installing one of the 4TB hard drives which are replacing some old 3TB SAS drives. Using drivepool i added the new drive before clicking remove on the old drive. This is where it went to shit. I've been having i/o errors on a few drives, while removing the 3TB drive it had an i/o error and now is unreadable, not the end of the world as i have duplication on. However for some reason my whole Pool was un-accessible because of the i/o error.... 

I pulled the old drive from the machine and rebooted. luckily all came back, it just now needs to re-duplicate which it did over night and all looks ok this morning. 1 drive replaced another 2 to go....

PSU is for my server to replace 1x 430w and 1x 550w i am currently running. i had to through an old PSU onto the server as one PSU wasnt powerful enough to spin up all the drives. Havent replaced them yet, this will be done once all the HDDs are done.

Now onto the mitx boards. At the moment I am using 2 separate desktop PCs, one for a HTPC and another for my Sophos UTM firewall. My plan is to move them to a 1U case. After a few months searching I found the case I wanted and even better it came with a PSU and was super cheap at £34. The best part is that the 1U case fits 2x thin mitx boards and powers both boards from a single PSU. 

59366b2b6281d_File_001.jpg

2 thin itx boards fitted, currently only have 1 CPU fitted and its a i3 6100t (35w), 120GB SSD and a 4nic pcie card with riser. Also 2x 40mm noctua fans all in a 1U short case. I am now just waiting for my DDR4L SODIMM ram to turn up.

Board on the right is the Sophos UTM, the left board will be the HTPC.

• Like 2

PenkethBoy

Nice two in one :)

Note : when you have a failure with DP it sets the pool read only when you lose a drive or are removing one to stop more errors - which i guess is what you experienced.

Swynol

ye i knew it would go read only, but i couldn't even read it which is when i started to panic. If i clicked on my Pool Drive it wouldnt even open just error'd saying Device I/O error. I knew it wasnt too bad as when i browsed to any of the individual drives i could access the poolpart hidden folder and all its contents except for the drive which i was removing. 

I plan to swap out another drive tonight, hopefully this one will be smoother.

Swynol

all drives swapped over and Pool is now intact. havent really expanded on space much but i have replaced 4 drives that all had SMART errors. Also in other news my Sophos UTM (unified threat management) is up and running. At the moment it is situated between my router and switch and all my traffic flows through it. It does some cool shit to protect my LAN. every packet that flows through it is scanned and logged, gives me finer control of what traffic is allowed in and out of my LAN.

here's a screenshot of the dashboard. very similar to pfsense.

5940002de46c7_Untitled.jpg

if anyone wants to test it out, you can log into the sophos test site - https://utm.trysophos.com/ 

admin/admin

Edited by Swynol
  • Like 1

mastrmind11

all drives swapped over and Pool is now intact. havent really expanded on space much but i have replaced 4 drives that all had SMART errors. Also in other news my Sophos UTM (unified threat management) is up and running. At the moment it is situated between my router and switch and all my traffic flows through it. It does some cool shit to protect my LAN. every packet that flows through it is scanned and logged, gives me finer control of what traffic is allowed in and out of my LAN.

here's a screenshot of the dashboard. very similar to pfsense.

5940002de46c7_Untitled.jpg

if anyone wants to test it out, you can log into the sophos test site - https://utm.trysophos.com/ 

admin/admin

I learn about such cool shit on this forum.  I can't tell from the website whether it's hardware or software based though.  

Swynol

It can be both. I have he Sophos utm installed on a mini itx build. It's its own OS. Can be run in VM if needed.

You an also buy dedicated hardware, but they are fairly difficult to get in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

A project i am working on.....

So yesterday i installed the Unifi AC-lite. Finally have AC wireless in the house and a fuller coverage of the garden. Install was easy.

I installed the 120mm and the 2 80mm noctua fans into my server, noise levels are slightly less than they were and the temps are roughly the same maybe 1-2c less which is good.

I then went about installing one of the 4TB hard drives which are replacing some old 3TB SAS drives. Using drivepool i added the new drive before clicking remove on the old drive. This is where it went to shit. I've been having i/o errors on a few drives, while removing the 3TB drive it had an i/o error and now is unreadable, not the end of the world as i have duplication on. However for some reason my whole Pool was un-accessible because of the i/o error.... 

I pulled the old drive from the machine and rebooted. luckily all came back, it just now needs to re-duplicate which it did over night and all looks ok this morning. 1 drive replaced another 2 to go....

PSU is for my server to replace 1x 430w and 1x 550w i am currently running. i had to through an old PSU onto the server as one PSU wasnt powerful enough to spin up all the drives. Havent replaced them yet, this will be done once all the HDDs are done.

Now onto the mitx boards. At the moment I am using 2 separate desktop PCs, one for a HTPC and another for my Sophos UTM firewall. My plan is to move them to a 1U case. After a few months searching I found the case I wanted and even better it came with a PSU and was super cheap at £34. The best part is that the 1U case fits 2x thin mitx boards and powers both boards from a single PSU. 

59366b2b6281d_File_001.jpg

2 thin itx boards fitted, currently only have 1 CPU fitted and its a i3 6100t (35w), 120GB SSD and a 4nic pcie card with riser. Also 2x 40mm noctua fans all in a 1U short case. I am now just waiting for my DDR4L SODIMM ram to turn up.

Board on the right is the Sophos UTM, the left board will be the HTPC.

If those 40mm noctua fans don't move enough air, they now have 40x40x20mm fans. I just got some, and they are great. I got mine through ebay, directly from Austria.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332227036477?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x20-pwm

Swynol

doh, ye should of got the 20mm depth ones. I bought the 40mm fans before the case but the CPU doesn't generate much heat its a 35w which atm doesnt work very hard (max CPU load is around 10%).

Havent got round to building the second mobo up, waiting for payday so i can buy another CPU for it, then attempt to cram in another SSD in the case somehow

• 4 months later...
Swynol

Another small update.

finally replaced my intel i3 3240 with an i5 3570k.

a mate was selling it and we decided to do a swap plus some cash his way which suited me fine. after the swap the CPU temps were a little too high for my liking so decided to get a new cooler.

in comes the monster that is bequiet dark rock pro 3. it's a huge beast with a 120mm and 135mm fan on it.

59f06ba40ee06_IMG_7307.jpg

Temps before were idle 45c load 68c

Temps after idle 32c load 50c

running the 3570k at 3.8ghz.

thermal paste probably hasnt settled down yet but still thats a massive difference.

Only one slight issue that the lid doesnt fit on the case as the cooler is too tall, but also the case doesn't slide into my rack as the cooler catches on the top lip of the rack. So i need to drop it down slightly and possibly modify the lid somehow. I have a few days off next week so will tackle the issue then.

Guest asrequested

You could probably have used a smaller heat sink and achieved similar results. My threadripper is going to be getting warm, but I've got a heat sink that fits in the case. Hopefully I'll get it running, this weekend.

• Like 1

Swynol

ye probably, i was also tempted with one of the All in one water coolers but have no where to mount the radiator. its only about 5mm too tall. so wont be much of an issue to sort out.

how is the threadripper build going? got emby running on it yet?

Edited by Swynol

Guest asrequested

Teething problems. It doesn't like booting up. I think it has an issue with the RAM I was using. I've got some on order. Hopefully I'll get it running this weekend. I had it running until I updated the BIOS. At first I thought I'd effed it up. The CPU mounts differently to what I'm used to, and I futzed with it a bit. But it turned out the RAM had to be installed in a particular way. So it booted up and ran, then I updated the BIOS, and now it doesn't boot again. So I think it's the RAM not being properly supported. Anyone thinking of getting one, I'd suggest to wait a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Swynol

Got bored, havent bought anything new and havent really got the money coming up to xmas. So thought i would tinker some more.

Currently i have my network setup like

LAN  >  Unifi Switch  > Sophos UTM  > Unifi USG  > Fibre modem

My plan is to change it slightly

LAN   >  Unifi Switch  >  Unifi USG  >  Sophos UTM  > Fibre Modem

but also have a failover

Unifi USG ------------------------> Fibre Modem

so incase i have any issues with my Sophos UTM the USG will detect that it cant get out onto the internet and failover from WAN1 to WAN2 which has a direct connection to the Fibre Modem. I had an incident recently that i was tidying stuff up and knocked my 4 port ethernet card in the Sophos UTM, this meant that it lost internet connection. Ok it only took a few mins to sort but the wife was complaining that the internet wasnt working. So now if that happened my USG would failover to WAN2 and internet would work as normal. It only takes a few seconds for the failover to work.

• Like 1