File Server Upgrade

Swynol

Guest asrequested

they are alot cheaper in the US. damnit

Lol. You know what. When I looked on noctua's site, I think the first fans I posted have comparable air flow, for less.

Guest asrequested

I can't seem to find the exact specs but there are two different speed fans in this case, only the rear 2x80mm fans are screamers. (at least in my case)

These are the fans that came with my case fan wall. The two at the back are 3100KL, but there doesn't seem to be info on those

http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/part-numbers/DC-Axial-Fans/3110KL-04W-B79-D00/17479

588c456e2b19e_IMAG02411.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Swynol

the nf-s12 doesnt have the static preasure unlike the nf-f12 3000rpm. you will need static pressure to pull the air through the drives. ive just bought the 3000 rpm ones. should be here monday. so for now i made a diy fan wall infront of the drives with 3x120mm fan. looks horrible but dropped my drives from 48c to 41c. i can live with them around 40c for now.

Swynol

installed a few SATA drives today. they are running at 33c and my SAS are still at 40c. lets hope the noctua's help. 

Guest asrequested

SFP+ are copper, not fiber.

Well, I couldn't be more wrong. I was just reading up on the switch I'm intending to buy, and look what it said about SFP+ ports.  :blink:

588db0936e990_Snapshot_464.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Swynol

so for anyone still following i have now installed 2x noctua nf-f12 3000RPM fans into the fan wall. i was meant to order 3 but for some reason i had a brain fart and only ordered 2. 

so my setup was. 2x 80mm stock exhaust fans, 3x 120mm stock fans in the fan wall and because of the heat from the sas drives i also installed 3x 120mm corsair 120sp fans in front of the drive bays.

So onto the noctua's. these things are expensive but high quality items. i bought the nf-f12 3000rpm industrial version. they look good. i replaced 2 of the stock fans in the fan wall. at first i was a little disappointing, i think i was expecting the air to move like a dyson hand dryer however they didnt seem to move more than the stock fans. I would say they are quieter than the stock 120mm fans so thats a bonus. Also to note the noctuas are pwm however my fan wall runs off a single molex to 3 pin so they should be running at max which is what i want. 

What i wanted from these fans is to keep the temps down but also allow me to remove my DIY fans in front of the bay (it looks a mess). So now i have 2x 120mm noctua fans and one of my corsair sp120 fans in the fan wall and standard 2x 80mm rear fans, i have also put a short lid on the case so that the lid only covers from the front of the case up to just after the fan wall so that the mobo area is all open (i have run this lid for a few days with the stock fans so that i could compare the fans without changing too much).

now onto the bit everyone is probably waiting for. Have they made a difference? Well the answer is YES. They are quieter if only slightly but my SAS drives were running between 39-43c on the stock fans and my DIY second fan wall, and now just the noctua's and the corsair my temps are 36-40c. Ambient temp in the house is 22c, and 24-25c in the cupboard where the rack is. Plan now is to replace the last 120mm with a nf-f12 3000rpm and probably the 2x 80mm rear fans as they are screamers.

Last few words, i know the norco drive bays have little vents that you can close if there are no drives in them. my logic case doesnt have them and i'm tempted to retrofit something. air will always take the path of least resistance, if i block the unused bays up maybe more air will be pulled through the bays with drives in. And secondly i think i will fit some sort of extractor fan to the back of the case and duct it out of the cupboard to help pull more hot air out of the room. 

Guest asrequested

I've got my open drive bays blocked up with a bit of cardboard in the tray. I didn't see any change in temps. I don't have my 120s, yet. Still running my 4 80mm noctuas. Temps between 36C and 42C. Most of them don't get above 40C. It's good to see the 120s make a difference.

Edited by Doofus

Swynol

ok good to know. I'm happy the noctua's have dropped the temps and seeing as i was running 6x 120mm fans and now i only have 3 and the temps are lower just goes to show the noctuas are doing their job. Just need to replace the sp120 with another nf-f12 3000 at some point. 

My SATA drives are running cool at 31c its only the SAS drives which are still running hot around 38-40c, just hoping in the summer they dont rise too much.

Anyway here's some pics. The case is currently resting on a shelf, i have all the bits ready to build a 10-12U rack frame which will replace the shelf at some point.

Old case

58919d39e327c_IMG_5705.jpg

New Case with the old DIY 3x120mm fan setup

58919d61ca93f_IMG_6101.jpg

And as it currently stands with the noctua fans and half length lid

58919d87e2f61_IMG_6103.jpg

• Like 1

Swynol

haha...

ye well i started with 1 bottom left. however because i have drives in 1-4 and 5-8 and 9-12. I decided to have empty bays in between them to help with cooling. so numbering went out the window. However they are numbered in Windows so i know where each drive is. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

So onto the noctua's. these things are expensive but high quality items. i bought the nf-f12 3000rpm industrial version. they look good. i replaced 2 of the stock fans in the fan wall. at first i was a little disappointing, i think i was expecting the air to move like a dyson hand dryer however they didnt seem to move more than the stock fans. I would say they are quieter than the stock 120mm fans so thats a bonus. Also to note the noctuas are pwm however my fan wall runs off a single molex to 3 pin so they should be running at max which is what i want. 

What i wanted from these fans is to keep the temps down but also allow me to remove my DIY fans in front of the bay (it looks a mess). So now i have 2x 120mm noctua fans and one of my corsair sp120 fans in the fan wall and standard 2x 80mm rear fans, i have also put a short lid on the case so that the lid only covers from the front of the case up to just after the fan wall so that the mobo area is all open (i have run this lid for a few days with the stock fans so that i could compare the fans without changing too much).

I just put the three NF-F12 iPPC 3000 fans in my case. HOLY CRAP! Those things have some juice. I'm running them at 50% and max hard drive temp is 42C. At 60%, max temp drops to 39C,  but just a little too noisy. 

Swynol

i'm glad your getting good results from them. I'm still only running 2 of the Noctua's atm. I will be purchasing another 120mm and 2x 80mm to replace the ones i have left to see if i get a bigger improvement. 

Also i have had the cupboard door open a crack recently and my temps drop another 4-5c but its too loud to keep it open all the time. So now i need to get my arse into gear and convince the wife that i need to cut a big hole in the bottom of her solid oak door to fit a vent. 

Guest asrequested

If noise is an issue, cutting a hole in the door will be a problem. What about a ceiling vent/duct? Although, with good ventilation, you can run the fans at a lower speed. At 50% mine are pretty quiet. I think you're going to need to allow air circulation in that cupboard. Some place for the warm air to escape.

Edited by Doofus

Swynol

ye it currently has a fan in the ceiling which draws the hot air out and into another area of the house (free heating). however i think the issue is that not enough fresh air is being drawn in. 

What i am hoping is if i put a vent in the bottom of the door to allow more air in, hopefully i can slow the fans down slightly. Although i think the new noctua's are still quieter than the stock 80mm fans as they are running at 5000rpm. just replacing those may make a difference. 

few more days until payday then i will spend yet more money on fans 

Swynol

showed my 'hub' room some love today. finally built a make shift rack so that i can mount my server on some DIY rails. makes it much easier to work on now. I also installed a new SFF-8087 to 4 SATA reverse breakout cable. I can utilize 4 SATA connectors on my Mobo and connect it to my backplane. I also cleaned up some cables and finally added a hot air duct which goes from the rear fans on the server and exits the cupboard via a duct. 

I have some more toys arriving tomorrow so will post about them when they show up.

Here's one of the 3000rpm noctua's.

58adf21c83dce_1.jpg

the reverse breakout cable

58adf49c9bac3_2.jpg

DIY rack, the server extends the full length 

58adf4e46c6fe_3.jpg

58adf4f51a8aa_4.jpg