feature request: edit filename in Home Video (and other) library

lifespeed

lifespeed

Is this possible?  I really like the Home Video type of library for content that isn't well-suited to being found in online databases.  So long as the library is organized by folders, and the filenames are descriptive Emby presents the media in a useful way.  Not every type of media is suited to the metadata, classified and renamed from online data presentation.

The obvious next step, when one notices some organization/renaming is needed is to edit the name right in Emby Theater (or Android phone, or iOS).  It is possible to edit the name, but not the filename from which the name is derived (I'm assuming Emby server creates a name from the filename, which must get stored somewhere as metadata).  Really, for this type of media I don't want to get into the metadata thing at all.  I would like to just use the filename and editing it from within Emby would be so useful.  Editing filenames from within Movies or TV libraries would be pretty cool also, but Home Video is the obvious use case.

Keep up the good work, thank you.

• Like 1

Good day,

If I understand it correctly, you simply need to display the name you like for title, then edit that title "edit info" option, and enter whatever name at the "title" option, then emby will display that, example

Real file title: Home 1

Title: Sky 1

Then emby will display the name "Sky 1" for that title.

My best

Yes Abo is correct. You can edit the title using the editing features and it will not rename the files.

lifespeed

I want to edit the filename, not the name Emby displays.  Although it does appear that Emby derives the display name from the filename.

Like I said, metadata is great for a lot of things, but that is not what I want to do with home video.  It is preferable to be able to edit the filename without leaving Emby and clicking a half dozen times through windows explorer.

Okay, we were confused by this

It is possible to edit the name, but not the filename from which the name is derived

But, from the display standpoint, what you really care about is what is displayed, right?  The short answer is, no, you cannot change the file name from within Emby but you can change what is displayed in the interface.

lifespeed

Okay, we were confused by this

But, from the display standpoint, what you really care about is what is displayed, right?  The short answer is, no, you cannot change the file name from within Emby but you can change what is displayed in the interface.

No, what I really care about is the filename.  As useful as Emby is for organizing, browsing and playing media I would ultimately like my organizational efforts (file description and naming of home videos) to be saved in a way that works across platforms and is permanent.  Ultimately, the filename itself is what I really care about.

It is not truly "organizing" when renaming and descriptions are a part of Emby metadata, subject to revision, update issues or any other manner of lack of immortality.  If I change the name of a home video from "20170124_1245PM.ts" to "kids birthday 2017"  I want that to be the filename, not just metadata.

By way of comparison, TV and Movies can be renamed according to internet databases.  While the internet database portion is not applicable to home video, I believe file renaming is.  Thanks for listening.

Edited by lifespeed

zigzagtshirt

I suppose the only way to do this would be to edit the filename from within the OS.  But after editing the file name, you will need to re-run the library scan (since Emby will still be looking for the old name of the file), which would probably overwrite any Title edits (and any other metadata edits) you have already made.

Edit the name of the file before adding to the Emby library, then edit the title metadata after it's been added.  

As for making it possible to rename the file from within Emby, not sure exactly how that would work technically.  There would be a whole host of problems to sort out and control for if it were even made possible in the first place.  Wouldn't be worth the effort.  Just rename the file from within your OS.

lifespeed

Edit the name of the file before adding to the Emby library, then edit the title metadata after it's been added.  

As for making it possible to rename the file from within Emby, not sure exactly how that would work technically.  There would be a whole host of problems to sort out and control for if it were even made possible in the first place.  Wouldn't be worth the effort.  Just rename the file from within your OS.

You propose a lot of extra steps.  Far more convenient to make the edit from the same environment you are viewing the video.  So I ask for a reasonable, at least to me, adjustment to Emby's organizational capabilities, and your reply is "You don't really want that and it can't be done"?

Emby (and other metadata scrapers) currently offer exactly this capability; file renaming.  It is just done based on internet metadata.  All I am asking for is for the use case of home videos, to accept user input to name the file instead of internet databases.

Edited by lifespeed
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

I don't know of any metadata editor that changes my filenames.  If I edit a movies Title in Emby is doesn't change the file name.  Organizer and Metadata Manager are two separate things.

zigzagtshirt

You propose a lot of extra steps.  Far more convenient to make the edit from the same environment you are viewing the video.  So I ask for a reasonable, at least to me, adjustment to Emby's organizational capabilities, and your reply is "You don't really want that and it can't be done"?

Emby (and other metadata scrapers) currently offer exactly this capability; file renaming.  It is just done based on internet metadata.  All I am asking for is for the use case of home videos, to accept user input to name the file instead of internet databases.

Where are you finding something that changes filenames?  Are you sure you're not referring to the titles of the content from within Emby?

lifespeed

I am less familiar with Emby's metadata scraper, I use MediaCenterMaster.  It offers to rename the files.  I thought Emby's "auto-organize" or some such function renamed files?  Yes, I know the difference between filenames and what Emby displays.

Maybe I'm mixing up the functionality of MCM and Emby.  I might have to take another try at Emby's metadata scraper, last time I tried I had some problems with it.

Happy2Play

Yes MCM has a renaming option, but editing metadata in MCM does not rename the file automatically.