Using both coverart and boxset plugin

steve1977
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

steve1977

I am currently using the boxset, which is fantastic and creates collections from TMDB. If available on TMDB, it also places a poster and even backdrop to the respective collection, which is looking nice.

The coverart plugin also advertises to create a poster based on the individual movies of a collection. How does this work and can I use both plugins in parallel (i.e., coverart only creates poster if unavailable on TMDB). Are both plugins placing the poster in the same folder?

Thanks in advance!

The short answer is yes they will work together.

CoverArt doesn't actually download any art - it just treats the ones you have (or that are downloaded by the server) allowing you to have many different presentation styles for your artwork.  See here.

steve1977

Thanks, I got that it "just" creates it, which is great.

What I was wondering how it prioritizes? Does it "only" create a collection poster for the collections that don't have already a collection specific poster downloaded?

No, you tell it how to treat them.  Install it and have a play around with the options.  That'll be much quicker than me trying to explain it.

steve1977

That was indeed the easiest. Have been playing around with it. Very cool plugin, which I will definitely keep using. Well done!!!

Unfortunately, it does not do what I was hoping for with regards to collections. I have applied the "fan option" for collections. I like how it looks, but it no longer shows the original collection poster (created by the boxset plugin). Any chance to have an option only to display the "fan" if there is no collectoin poster available?

• Like 1

"Any chance to have an option only to display the "fan" if there is no collectoin poster available?"

+1

• Solution

I'm afraid that would create all kinds of display problems in most of the clients.  The shape of the treatments like the fans are significantly different than the shape of a normal poster and you would end up with very different sized images or distorted ones.

There are other treatment styles that combine the actual cover with the child covers.

• Like 1

steve1977

Thanks. Can you give me an example of one that combines the two? I tried casefan (which looks to be using the boxart poster combined with the child posters. But unfortunately, this looks exactly the same as the fan  setting. Thoughts?

steve1977

Thanks, I played around with a few options. Now got the casefan option working, but don't really like it.

I actually like the fan, but it does not look like a "box". Either it only fills half of the "box" or (when original aspect disabled) shows distorted images.

I now went back selecting "none" to have my nice collection posters back. But now, I have a new quite major issue. There are some collections, for which I don't have a poster. For those, it shows a coverart poster in shouting blue. Can this be disabled?

"None"?

CA provides an image for folder items that don't have them because that is the only way CA can work.  If you don't want those, just edit the items in the web client and delete those images.

steve1977

You are right. It does not say "none", but "ignore". If "ignored", why will it still show a coverart poster for collections. Unfortunately, this is now showing at 50+ collections (all of which don't have a cover). Is there any way beside manually deleting them?

"Ignore" just means don't treat the image.  CA has to provide some sort of image for items that don't actually have them or it will never even be called.  So, in order for all these fancy treatments that use child covers instead of the main cover to work, CA has to actually provide some sort of image for box sets that don't have them.

Box sets are items that, as you've found, many times don't have images and this meant that CA wouldn't work for those items even though what the user wanted was a treatment that actually used the child images.  If there was no image for the box set, CA would never be called by the system.  So, what people had to do in order to make CA work in these cases was copy some sort of image into the box set folder.  This was cumbersome and confusing for the user so I now have CA (during the metadata scan) provide dummy images for box sets that don't have them.  But, it only does this if you have selected a multi-treatment option for your box sets.  The problem is you once did this and, therefore, got these dummy images.  Now you've changed your style but the images are still there.

Anyway, that was a long and complex way of saying that it is a complex issue and the tack I've taken with it works better for most user's situations.  I'll look into the possible enhancement I mentioned in the other thread.

steve1977

Thanks for the long explanation. This also explains why the posters are still there even after uninstalling the plugin. Looks like I can safely reinstall it now ;-) Looking forward to some form of "solution" as indicated in the other thread. Thanks again, great work!!!

Scott750

Does CoverArt box set treatment feature only work if all of the movies are in separate folders?

Like this:

C:\Movies\movie - part1

C:\Movies\movie - part2

C:\Movies\movie - part3

I have mine all in collections folders like this:

C:\Movies\Movie Collection Folder\movie - part1

C:\Movies\Movie Collection Folder\movie - part2

C:\Movies\Movie Collection Folder\movie - part3

Sorry, I don't understand the question.  Box Set treatments only work on actual Box Sets.  You define a box set by putting [boxset] in the name of the folder - or you just use the auto boxset plug-in.

• Like 1

Scott750

I used Auto Box Sets for a little while, and while I liked it organized everything into its own folder, I didn't like how in Media Browser in the main movie view I still saw separate movies for the collections. So I began placing all of my collections into their own parent folders.

Here's a couple of screenshots of how my collection sets are organized.

BoxsetExaple2_zps68082f1d.png

BoxsetExaple3_zps20cf0b0f.png

And here's how it looks in MB3

BoxsetExaple_zps62f42072.png

So are you saying I need to add [boxset] after the words Transporter Collection? Or is it instead of "Collection"?

It doesn't matter what the name of the folder is.  If it contains "[boxset]" we will treat it as such.  Please mark my answer above as solved.

You might not be able to do it from tapatalk but there is a mark solved button on each post.  You just click it on the post that was the best answer.

Unfortunately, though, this thread has a whole bunch of questions in it which makes that a little more messy.  This is why we ask to make new threads with new questions.