(OT) Help! Suddenly DVDs don't play in WMP on my PC...

Marc_G

Hi folks,

This is a weird one.

My desktop PC also doubles as my main ripping PC, then I send the files over to my HTPC/Server.

This PC has been stable in Win7 since 2009. No viruses / malware, everything else doing fine. It's Win 7 SP1, fully up to date according to Windows Update.

All was well last Saturday. On Sunday I went out of town, returning late yesterday. Today, I tried to play a DVD in it, to help sort out which ripped MKV episode was which.  I don't use AutoPlay. Usually, I insert the disc or load the disc image (Slysoft VCD), then double click on the drive letter after the disc name shows up. This used to bring up Windows Media Player.

Today, instead, I get "Application Not Found."

I checked my default programs (WMP is there). If I manually load WMP, and navigate to the drive, it will play the disc. No problem with the media or the hardware. Same error on physical discs or loaded disc images. Doesn't matter whether AnydvdHD is running or not, same error.

I've done all sorts of trouble shooting, rebooting, double checking Default Programs and Autoplay settings... no joy.

Can anyone suggest things to try to set this right? I don't have a recent system image... my last was more than a month ago, so while I COULD restore a previous state, it would be some effort to do so. I'd rather just fix this.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Marc

I have apparently fixed it.

After trying lots of other things, I went into the Programs control panel, Add/Remove Windows features, and removed WMP/WMC. Rebooted. Went back to the add/remove place, and re-added them in. After that, the problem went away. Yea!

Marc

Koleckai Silvestri

Glad you have it fixed.... I would have checked Default Programs and then Programs and Features myself.