Question about Windows sleep

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

It seems that Emby Server prevents my Win10 HTPC from sleeping. If I manually put the computer to sleep, it will wake up a second or two later. I've quit or disabled various applications that were possible causes. As far as I can tell, it's specifically Emby Server.

Is this a known behavior? Is there a server setting I should trying changing so Emby can let the computer go into and remain in sleep mode?

Thanks

Hi, Emby does not do anything to wake the machine. If users are connected that might prevent it from sleeping, but once it goes to sleep it's not even possible for Emby to wake it. Most likely your network adapter is responding to activity from other devices on the network.

Rumbaar

I wish EMBY server could do that, even stop it from automatically restarting for updates. But alas, it does not.

Happy2Play

I wish EMBY server could do that, even stop it from automatically restarting for updates. But alas, it does not.

There is a Dashboard option for that.  Dashboard-Settings-Automatic Updates-Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates

Rumbaar

There is a Dashboard option for that. Dashboard-Settings-Automatic Updates-Allow the server to restart automatically to apply updates

Ah, I meant the forced restart of the whole machine that windows 10 home does on its own.

ShoutingMan

Hi, Emby does not do anything to wake the machine. If users are connected that might prevent it from sleeping, but once it goes to sleep it's not even possible for Emby to wake it. Most likely your network adapter is responding to activity from other devices on the network.

Ok, Thanks. I'll check if the AppleTV's might have the Emby app running and are pinging the server in the background. 

rbjtech

If you don't want your PC to 'Wake On LAN' (that's what it's doing) then simply disable the 'Wake On LAN' setting on the NIC Device properties in Windows 10.    this is totally independent of Emby and will stop ANY device waking your PC from the network .. :)

ShoutingMan

Thanks for the tips. After some more experimentation, I see that it's not Emby per se. It seems to be one of those deeply weird Windows bugs that affects some few people, preventing Windows from going to sleep automatically. I've tried the standard tweaks of enabling sleeping while streaming, checking the problem with powercfg in the cmd terminal, and so on.