Question about amd processor.

all4dom

all4dom

Hey guys, does anyone use amd for there emby server. Wondering if I can get away with an amd a8 quad core (3.1ghz) for a new server build. I'm looking at 2 to 3 streams but mostly 2 streams at the same time. Some devices are wireless and I can't wire each room until the aummer. Thanks guys. I'm really trying to build something on a budget and am hoping to keep the price under 300 without windows purchase.

the1legend

I ran an A8 a couple of years ago and it could handle a couple of 720p streams but in general the navigation of Emby was poor. I do have a large library so I'm sure that affected the performance. I had no issues direct playing to Kodi clients because the CPU was not really involved, but most devices are hard wired. My guess is that it would struggle with two 1080p trans coding streams, coupled with the fact that your clients will be wireless. At the time I was coming from MediaPortal which was lighting fast because everything was handled locally, so my memory of this time may have tainted by this fact.

In summary, if you are direct playing only the navigation (depending on you library size) may be slow. If your transcodeing, things will be more painful and may leave a bad taste in you mouth for Emby.