How to establish Path substitution correctly?

ariznaf

Hi all, I am new to the forum.

I have just bought a QNAP NAS, TS-451+ with HDMI.

I have installed emby in it.

From the web interface it works correctly, and I can play videos and music.

Then I installed in the NAS Kodi and the Emby for Kodi plugin.

I managed to access the library and I can see the lilbrary of videos and music, and navigate it.

But when it comes to play the files, I receive an error saying that it cannot access the file.

I have installed Kodi and Emby for Kodi in a PC with windows 10 too.

I can navigate the library and play videos, but it does not play music (wma and mp3 files).

The videos are played through streaming, not direct play.

I think it is due to the path substitution in the emby server and configuring the user and password in emby for kodi.

I have tried several combinations, but cannot get it to work.

I have Two shares,

Videos

Music

The shares from outside are then

\\server\Videos

\\server\Music

I have to put \\server\video in the path subtitution in emby, and have confiture the user as

server name: \\server\

user: family

password: whatever

I have tried with and without path substitution en the emby server and configuring a user in emby for kodi and without user.

How should I configure it to get direct play from the emby server, both, in the QNAP NAS and in PCs in the local network.

Thank you

Edited by ariznaf

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have the exact same problem ariznaf.

I'm running Emby in Docker using Container Station on my QNAP NAS. Server is working fine. Emby for Kodi on my 2 HTPC's scans the media in to library but will not play (direct or stream)

All media is stored on NAS and I've used path substitution in Emby server and setup network credentials in Emby Add on for Kodi.

Did you manage to find a solution.

Regards,

Mataus

Angelblue05

The way to do it is to ensure your path substitution is set up correctly. Make sure there's no extra slashes. Best way to check this is via the metadata manager in Emby, select a title and checking the path value (for each library).

The username and password is sorted via Kodi itself. I suggest, addons > install from zip > navigate to your shares, it will ask you for the user/pass which you then enter and it should be good to go.

If all else fails, then use addon playback mode, reset your database. That should allow you to at least get video working, and when you are ready to fix your path, you just have to disable Force HTTP in the add-on settings > playback tab. Check your Kodi log to see the path that it's trying.

Edited by Angelblue05

Thanks Angelblue05,

I'm giving this one last ditch attempt to get it working. This is my setup:

QNAP TS-228A running Docker in Container Station.

Emby is up and running in Docker, I click the URL and it takes me to Emby server setup and I have added my shares.

Kodi for Emby recognises the QNAP and the files and scrapes all the metadata.

I've tried to add path substitution but kodi keeps saying that file is no longer available do you want to remove it.

Regards

I want use direct (native) path. Any ideas what to put in to the path substitution for Kodi to have direct access to folder on NAS?

Regards

We can't really answer questions about your individual setup, but a good first step is to make sure you can browse to your shared folder over the network using a file browser on the Kodi machine.

Yes I can confirm that I use NFS to find the share folders on my NAS and Kodi scrapes and plays the media files on my NAS.

Regards

I've done that but it still doesn't work. I think it may be something to do with Emby running in docker and kodi not being able to see the share?