Coverart 4.0 Plugin Extemely Slow

vferg

Hello All, I had purchased a Synology DS1815+ last September and my first and only experience using Emby is on this Synology device.  I use this mostly as a central database and use Kodi as the frontend for most of my houses TV's.  It works great.  At first I only had about 100 movies and 30 tv shows up until the holidays when I received another hard drive.  A few weeks ago I was finally able to add a ton more content from my old storage device to Synology bringing my total library up to 900 movies and 200 tv shows.  After doing this though I noticed an immediate problem with Emby.  When accessing the application through a browser or mobile app it would sit with a spinning wheel for minutes at a time before loading.  Every screen you clicked would bring you the same result.  I thought I broke the application but after some digging I saw some threads pointing to the Coverart plugin for being the culprit.  None of these threads seemed to end up confirming it was actually the problem but after trying removing it myself I noticed immediately that the issue was fixed.  The threads that I looked at also had one thing in common to, large library.

So is this a known issue that is being addressed?  If not I just wanted to make mention of the issue so that it could be addressed for future updates.  If it is known about and there is a workaround could someone share what they did to resolve this issue?  I don't mind not using the plugin but if it worked I also wouldn't mind using it either.  If anything is needed I can try to help out with whatever anyone needs from me.

Thanks a lot

BTW love this application

• Like 1

Were you applying a treatment to Box Sets?  If so, you might try ignoring those and see if it makes a difference.  Thanks.

solabc16

Hello @@vferg

I use a DS1815+ as my personal system, away from the development work for Synology/XPEnology and I can't say I've found CoverArt slow to the point of being unusable (or wanting to throw something at it!).

If I add a batch of new content, then it will get a little busy whilst it generates the images on the first run, but after that they're cached - so it's short term pain.

I'm guessing as you've suddently introduced a step change in content, it's going to find a lot of content that needs images generated and that's going to amplify the pain a little. When I add a chunk of new content, I do click through every item to get that process taken care of, so I don't feel the pain when actually sitting down for some timeout and to watch something.

This is probably not practical given the number of new titles you've added, but I guess it is something we could automate by writing a script to iterate through all of the content overnight (or any other quiet time), so the CoverArt treatments get created and cached.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,  I just wanted to post a follow up.  The plugin did not appear to be the issue since I still had the same issues reappear after a few days.  App would take forever to load and then just timeout and video playback even became hit or miss.  I tried uninstalling everything and starting from scratch without success, problem reappeard again within a few days.  I decided to put an SSD into the enclosure to see if that would help.  Just a note I found online that the DS1815+ model only uses SATA 3 for port 1 and 2 so I put the drive in one of those ports to make sure it was fully utilized (ports 3-6 use SATA 2 and sadly 7-8 only use SATA 1...).  I uninstalled Emby again and reinstalled on the new SSD and changed all paths for cache, metadata, and transcoding to use the SSD as well.  Its been about 3-4 days now everything works perfectly without any sign of slow down.  I haven't installed any plugins again yet since I am still playing it cautious but in a few days I will probably start using them again as well.  Its safe to say Coverart was not the culprit in this case.  I guess the biggest shock to me is the fact that the 3 HGST NAS 7200rpm drives I have installed work so poorly.  Everything else works fine but I guess when it comes to tons of small metadata stuff they just don't perform very well.  So Hooray for SSD's! I would recommended them to anyone else using Emby and a Synology if they have similar slow issues.

solabc16

Hello @vferg

Thanks for the update, although I must admit to being a little skeptical. There is nothing Emby Server does (or should be doing) that would typically require the raw IOPS, latency and throughput improvements you would get from an SSD.

The key word here being 'should'. Although the SSD has 'fixed' it, I'm still wondering what the root cause is.

I just want to flag this here, as I don't want anyone reading this to run off and invest in an SSD in the belief that it's necessary in order to be able to run Emby Server.

You mentioned "I haven't installed any plugins again", have you installed CoverArt though? Or are you saying that with CoverArt removed and without the SSD it was still unusable?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

@@solabc16 it also could have been caching. For example, he comes in the first time and it seems painful, then he makes some external changes, comes back in and everything is faster. It's easy to assume the improvement is due to the external change but it could also be due to Emby Server not repeating the work it was trying to do before.

@@solabc16 The first time I uninstalled the Emby application I reinstalled it on the same volume1 location as before.  I left all plugins uninstalled this time except the Kodi sync one since I needed that.  The only difference in this setup that I made was changing the default metadata and cache locations from var to volume1 to see if that helped.  Again it started off working smoothly for a couple of days then it got bogged down and would only get a spinning wheel when trying to load the site.  Sometimes it would load within a minute and sometimes it would just sit there.  I could get to the settings area without issues just the loading of all the metadata seemed to be the issue.  I would also have playback issues when this started as well.  I should have kept some of the logs so you guys could take a look but only wanted to resort to that if I couldn't figure it out myself.  A few days later I was able to get an SSD and decided to try it out.  I uninstalled once more and reinstalled on the SSD and moved all metadata and cache paths to the SSD.  I kept all settings the same again and once again only installed the Kodi plugin.  This time its been about 4 days now and have yet to see Emby take more than 2 seconds to load everything when hitting the site.  Most of the time its instantly now.  I know what you mean by saying don't rush out and buy an SSD since this probably was not the underlying issue but even if it wasn't I do feel that the loading of the page and all its content has never been this fast even when it was working fine on a standard hard drive.  I will be installing the extra plugins again this weekend if performance continues to stay the same and see if it has any effect.  I don't believe it will this time.

I also agree with you solabc16 that I am really confused as to what the hold up was.  To me it really seemed to be the hard drives but you are right they should have no effect on IOPS for what its doing.  I am just glad this is working as it should since my next alternative was setting up another dedicated device to be the server which I really did not want to do.