Important feature request

khodges747

khodges747

Hi guys,

I'd like to respectfully request an option in Emby Theater to opt out of future updates and remain on the current software version.

Two reasons:

1. I don't like handing over control of apps installed on my machine to someone else. I may be forced to do it with Microsoft Windows, or Google Chrome, but that's not my choice.

2. It seems that quite frequently an Emby Theater upgrade breaks something. It happened a few weeks ago and all we could see was a black screen. It happened a few other times before that, too, if I'm not mistaken. And then yesterday the update from 2.5.35 to 2.5.36 broke playback again, requiring installation of 2.5.37 as a fix. I had to resort to other means to watch my media yesterday, until the new version came along.

I know it's not easy for you to debug a new version, so you should at least give us an option to upgrade later once we can see if there are any bad effects, or you've baked in some killer feature we can't live without. If I'm perfectly happy with my system as it is, I shouldn't be forced to accept a new version until I decide I want or need it.

Thanks for taking my request into account in an upcoming version.

• Like 3

I do agree that updates should be optional. I understand ET has been evolving rapidly and that the current update settings are useful to keep the rank and file up to date. But an option to opt out of updates would be appreciated.  i curate my system and when I travel I dont want any changes to impact the system for my family.

Guest asrequested

Maybe there's some middle ground, here. Most of the updates are for the UI, which are the majority. Maybe when there are updates to the player, they could be optional? Leaving the UI updates open for Luke to apply as they develop. 

khodges747

Too be brutally honest, the only updates I don't want are the ones that break something, and it matters not if they are to the UI or to the player. 

I'm not sure I see the point of allowing some updates but not others. If the option is to be added, just add it for all updates and let me figure out which ones I want. Keep it simple.

Guest asrequested

Too be brutally honest, the only updates I don't want are the ones that break something, and it matters not if they are to the UI or to the player. 

I'm not sure I see the point of allowing some updates but not others. If the option is to be added, just add it for all updates and let me figure out which ones I want. Keep it simple.

How do you know what will break something prior to it's release? I'm pretty sure that Luke intends that everything will work, before he applies it. The UI updates are system wide, not just one app. 

Guest asrequested

Have you kept your update level to release and not beta or Dev?

This is a feature request specifically for Windows Theater desktop.

khodges747

How do you know what will break something prior to it's release? I'm pretty sure that Luke intends that everything will work, before he applies it. The UI updates are system wide, not just one app. 

I obviously don't know, which is the whole point of my request. I'll let the other people, who are braver than me, try it out first and only when I feel like it works well, judging by forum feedback, will I let the upgrade installed on my setup. 

I'm fully convinced that Luke and all the developers want every upgrade to work 100%. Unfortunately that's not always the case. If there were a guarantee that all upgrades work all the time we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Somebody else suggested separating UI upgrades from player upgrades, not me. I don't want them to be separate, but I'm fairly sure the UI for Emby Theater can be changed without changing any other app, no? Otherwise, how would a skin work?

Edit: I just realized it wasn't "somebody else" who suggested the UI vs player separation, it was you, Doofus.

Edited by khodges747

khodges747

No.

I want the option to NOT have automatic updates for Emby Theater, just like in Emby Server. See attached image.

post-1660-0-75553100-1485286237_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

I actually agree with you. And I also think that there should be a beta channel. @@Luke, Theater desktop has elements not shared with the rest of the system. I think it would be a good idea to have us put them through their paces, before major release.

khodges747

I was hoping you'd see it my way. :)

@Luke: I know you're a reasonable man, and you seem to be the one who pays the price when an update causes problems with existing systems, so please take this request to heart. I can live with either solution (beta/release channels or a simple checkbox for automatic updates). Whichever is easier for you to do (checkbox?) is OK with me. Thanks.