Emby Server - Read <lockedfields> Value when Importing Externally Generated NFO Files

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

When one has Emby configured to store data in NFO files adjacent to their associated videos, and you then designate certain metadata fields to be "Locked" a XML field of <lockedfields> is added to the NFO file, containing a "|" delimited list of the metadata fields to be locked from editing. In my prior experiments I found that if I added this field to an existing NFO file (ie, one that Emby has already added data to) then Emby would read the NFO and lock the corresponding fields.

I mistakenly thought then that I could add this XML field to my externally generated NFO files as part of my migration from a different media management system (my custom-built one). My hope was that Emby would take in the data from my NFO, and then subsequently lock the appropriate fields from further editing. However, <lockedfields> is being completely ignored on import, resulting in no fields being locked (though the other data, such as Tags, is correctly imported).

The following is an example of the NFO file data that I'm generating:

<movie><sorttitle>Voice Behind the Mouse</sorttitle><plot>Leonard Maltin interviews Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor, the voice of Mickey and Minnie Mouse. They talk about the characteristics of Mickey and Minnie that they see in themselves. They compare how Mickey's voice changed over the years, even within Walt Disney's run of doing the voice. Allwine and Taylor consider how Walt would probably embrace new technologies of today. Allwine does most of the talking, sharing anecdotes and touching on a wide array of other subjects related to Disney animation. Taylor, his real life wife, recalls how she prepared for her Minnie audition. The feature includes some clips of "Runaway Brain", older shorts, "House of Mouse", and even the costumed Mickey Mouse at Disney's parks, as well. It's a great supplement - both very informative and entertaining.</plot><lockedfields>Overview|Tags</lockedfields><tag>Shorts</tag><tag>Disney</tag><tag>Mickey Mouse</tag><tag/></movie>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408316/

Please pardon the formatting -- it seemed best to present it exactly as I'm generating it from my other program.

Thanks!

:)

PS - If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

Edited by funwithmedia

Happy2Play

I tested this by simply adding that info above to a nfo and adding it to the library and everything was rewritten and the <lockfields> were omitted in rewritten nfo file.

Adding <lockfields> to any Emby nfo is honored.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

funwithmedia

How did you measure that it wasn't respected?

Excellent question -- sorry I wasn't clearer!

I tested this by simply adding that info above to a nfo and adding it to the library and everything was rewritten and the <lockfields> were omitted in rewritten nfo file.

Adding <lockfields> to any Emby nfo is honored.

Exactly -- this is what I'm observing and was trying to communicate. Thanks for testing it as well, and for communicating it more clearly! :)

• 1 month later...
funwithmedia

@@Luke, Do you have a sense as to whether a fix for this might be coming in the next 2-4 weeks? I realize it is probably not a high priority item, so I totally understand if is unlikely to be addressed anytime soon. But I'm considering coding something on my end (with my database from my old setup that I'm transitioning from) to read existing NFO files and add in the <lockfields> data. But if you think a fix within Emby Server could be forthcoming I'd prefer to just wait for that.

Thanks!
:)

funwithmedia

I appreciate your efforts! :) But unfortunately it still doesn't work. I added a bunch of movies over the weekend, and just did another test, and <lockedfields> is still not honored.

The items over the weekend, and my test just now all are using Media Stubs, eg,

Warm Bodies (2013).hddvd.disc

Warm Bodies (2013).hddvd.nfo

I know the NFO is still getting read because the included Tags are correctly being applied. But <lockedfields> is still ignored and not applied to final NFO.

I'm on Server version 3.2.7.0.

Let me know if you need anything else!

• 3 weeks later...
funwithmedia

Just FYI, this still doesn't work in Emby Server 3.2.10.0. Not trying to rush you, but just giving an update in case you thought it was fixed.