Emby Server - "Select All" / "Deselect All" Options with Multiselect on Server Webapp

funwithmedia

funwithmedia

The Mult-Select in the Server web app is super-useful (I'm so grateful to those that introduced me to it!). But given that the Server web app has some excellent filtering functions (eg, in my case I make use of filtering by Tags) it would be very handy to have a "Select All" functionality, so that I can filter down to the results I'm looking for and then easily add them to a Collection (or, when eventually we have Bulk Editing abilities, open a Bulk Edit view on all the Selected items).

Thanks!

:)

PS - If this is something you might like to see implemented, be sure to "Like" this top/first post (as well as any subsequent posts in this thread that highlight particular aspects of what you are interested in) -- "Liking" the top/first post helps the Devs to know how much interest there is in a given Feature Request.

Edited by funwithmedia
  • Like 40
  • Agree 3

• 4 weeks later...
PurposelyCryptic

The Mult-Select in the Server web app is super-useful (I'm so grateful to those that introduced me to it!). But given that the Server web app has some excellent filtering functions (eg, in my case I make use of filtering by Tags) it would be very handy to have a "Select All" functionality, so that I can filter down to the results I'm looking for and then easily add them to a Collection (or, when eventually we have Bulk Editing abilities, open a Bulk Edit view on all the Selected items).

Thanks!

:)

Hi, yes good idea.

On the subject of potential additional functionality for the excellent Multi-Select feature, in addition to funwithmedia's suggestion for a Select All function, I would like to throw my vote in for a Shift-Click or Drag-Click type function for selecting multiple items, in the style of Windows Explorer. At the moment, the usability of Multi-Select is somewhat limited (at least, for me) by the fact that each item still has to have its check-box individually checked - unless my search skills have utterly failed me, and there is already a way to do this, in which case I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

My ideal implementation would be something along the lines of this:

58a49f367aeb5_1.jpg

58a49f6393d44_2.jpg

58a49f974d499_3.jpg

The shift-key doesn't necessarily have to be involved, obviously, I just chose that combination based on its use to achieve the same effect in Windows. But the basic functionality of being able to quickly select a continuous series of items would be very useful (As would the Select-All function suggested by funwithmedia).

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, as well as for your consideration.

• Like 8

PurposelyCryptic

Thanks! I have no idea how hard the actual implementation would be, since what you see on the front-end can be fairly different from how things are actually organized in the back-end (...and I just barely know enough about coding for .Net/CLI to understand I know nothing), but I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I know you have enough on your plate for several lifetimes as is, and would not be remotely surprised if you had a small army of clone-Lukes working on Emby, given how much you manage to get done  :) 

So, again, thanks, just in general for all the time and effort you put in!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
funwithmedia

Personally I'll have less need for this once Smart Playlists and Smart Collections (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58063-emby-server-option-to-auto-add-to-collections-based-on-pathattribute-matching-rules/) get implemented. But, since that may still be a ways off (just wildly guessing on that) it would be super-useful to have this multi-select functionality sooner-than-later. I've got like 2000 items (most of which are cartoon shorts) that are tagged from a previous software setup I used (prior to Emby) -- I'd really like to be able to select-all the items with a particular Tag so that I can then quickly add them to the appropriate Collection. I really don't want to go through and click on each item by hand (especially since there are some overlapping tags/collections, so I could be looking at thousands and thousands of clicks :blink: ).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
shorty1483

Any news on the "Mark all" function? Would be really helpful with e.g. tagging movies or series.

• 6 months later...
Gilgamesh_48
On 1/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, Luke said:

It's a great idea for the future. Thanks.

I believe the future is now or at least it should be. Multi-select using the shift+click is a very standard Windows function and has been at least since Windows 95 and I seem to remember it in Windows 3.0/3.1.

• Like 2

Keep in mind Emby is a media streaming and aggregator of metadata for your media but wasn't designed to be a file manager or media manager.

Many people over time wanted the ability to delete a movie/episode after watching it as they sort of use Emby as a DVR and only care to watch something once and remove it so Emby accommodated that request.

People over time have wanted all kinds of features like using Emby as an FTP server so they can "upload" files to the server (probably nice for remote servers) or to allow friends to add to their collection. Others have wanted to be able to use Emby to move folders or relocate files, etc  There is the Auto Organizer plugin that can help a bit with this especially used in combination with the upload directory of an FTP server.

Of course there are tools specific to doing these types of jobs like FTP servers for handling the uploads, media managers that make working with the content directly, etc...

A lot of the old timers wouldn't want Emby to spend time adding "media management" features to the product as they feel it's not needed and a waste of dev resources trying to build another mouse trap that already exists in other forms.

Yet some feature that are geared to the metadata would be welcome.  It would be nice to multi select files and be able to add a TAG to them all at the same time. Same with being able to select a few files and do a meta refresh on them. These latter types of things I'd personally love to have but not things that change the media or move them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
BaiGanJia
On 2017/2/16 at AM2点47分, PurposelyCryptic said:

关于出色的多重选择功能可能具有的附加功能,除了funwithmedia对全选”功能的建议外,我还想对  Shift-ClickDrag-Click  类型的功能进行选择。 Windows资源管理器样式的项目。目前,多重选择的可用性  受到一定程度的限制(至少对我而言),因为每个项目仍然必须单独选中其复选框-除非我的搜索技能完全使我失败,而且已经存在这样做的一种方式,在这种情况下,我为浪费大家的时间而表示歉意。

我的理想实现是遵循以下方式:

58a49f367aeb5_1.jpg

58a49f6393d44_2.jpg

58a49f974d499_3.jpg

不必一定要使用Shift键,显然,我只是根据它的使用选择了该组合,以在Windows中实现相同的效果。但是,能够快速选择一系列连续项目的基本功能将非常有用(与  funwithmedia建议的“全选” 功能一样)。

感谢您抽出宝贵的时间阅读我的帖子以及您的考虑。

+ 1 ,it's very very waste time  wen multi select items 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
gdselzer

Just recently found Emby and am loving how excellently it does what it does.  I too think the addition of a Select All would be a huge help to the interface.  I totally get that many times what seems simple to a user is very difficult and complex to develop.  I also get that there's a lot to do and only 24/7.  With all that said, will it help if I say "pretty please"?😀

Thanks for the great software.  You rock!

CharleyVarrick
On 7/26/2020 at 7:25 PM, cayars said:

Keep in mind Emby is a media streaming and aggregator of metadata for your media but wasn't designed to be a file manager or media manager.

Respectfully, I see Emby as both a (limited) media manager and media player, kind of middle-of-the-road approach. Often people who requests more managing feature often hear a response " but it wont be as pretty that way".  Its a though balancing act indeed.

I often wish it would offer a LOT more on the managing side, either by itself or tru plugins. On the mere player side, I also wish for many nice features, yup, all those we'd like to have in the future. Users are not all comfortable coding to tailor fit it to our needs. I'm a sucker for swiss army knife apps.

Not sure if you're familiar with MediaMonkey, its what I use exclusively for music. It does have an impressive (read seemingly endless) toolset to manage music, and is a highly competent player. IMO, its main, if not only drawback, is lack of 10 foot interface.

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
andreafabretto

My 2 cents and my case: I just installed Emby and got to flag -almost- everything in my libraries as "viewed": the actual UI/UX is a little cumbersome for that task.

I understand it's a little of a "corner case" but it's likely to be the first impression a new user will form about the application.

A simple "select all (/ deselect all)" *inside* the various library view would be appropriate; a dedicated "list" view to be used with arrow keys and space bar as selector would be marvelous; a click and drag to select multiple item at a time even better! ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

Semi-related, but the vertical list views will support the multi-select feature in the next release of Emby Server.

• 4 months later...
abegreen

So we all ask for simple "Select all" option and developers are like:

NOOOOOO! NEVEEEER!

As my people say - It's all good until they start beating us... I'll keep paying monthly, just don't hurt me please...