Got Myself into Trouble

jasonwilliams

jasonwilliams

Hello All,

The hard disk in my server went bad on me, and I've just discovered that the backup plugin hasn't run in over 2 months.   :(

I was able to retrieve all the data from the bad disk, so I have all the files and I've tried rebuilding Emby server using the instructions here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10427-how-to-migrate-emby-server/

I found the source files in the Roaming folder (Emby-Server), but some of the paths don't seem to match the guide exactly.  I also used SQL to move the users over, but the users don't show.  Also, I can see the playlists in the folder, but they do not appear inside Emby.

Is there any hope, or should I just start from scratch?  The main things I care about are the playlists and the watch history.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
jasonwilliams

So I gave up on trying to manually restore everything and just rebuilt from scratch but I do have one question... Is there a way to recover the playlists?  I still have the folder with the XML files for each list.  Can I just copy them to the new folder?

if you can get to the /programdata/data/playlists folder then you can restore those. let us know if this helps. thanks.

jasonwilliams

Thanks Luke.  I've copied them and run a scan, but the server doesn't seem to pick them up.  I created a new one to test and it does work when I create it manually and I can see the new playlist in the folder.  Do I need to assign the playlists to my user account or something?

Happy2Play

Don't Playlists have <UserId> in them?  So are your <UserId> the same as before?

jasonwilliams

Thank Happy.  Went into the XML and updated the <UserID> and voila!  Very happy camper!

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

jasonwilliams

Well I spoke too soon.  The playlists show now, but they are empty.  I looked at the XML and the items are there and the paths are all correct.  Any suggestions?  I did rescan...

I notice it keeps resetting the play time to zero, but even if I change it to the old value, it overwrites.

Edited by jasonwilliams

Happy2Play

@@Luke

I tested this by creating a playlist on one portable server then moving the playlist to another and updating the UserID, servers pointed to same local data.  The new server sees the named playlist but does not display any of the content.

Same results as jasonwilliams with everything in xml is present but duration reverts to "0".

playlist name in log (Move Test [playlist])

Happy2Play

That is how we go the server user to see the playlist, but no content.

Happy2Play

Only difference I see is RunningTime when a playlist is moved and scanned.  Recreate new test playlist to see if there was a difference. 

5897c43e695ed_playlists.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

jasonwilliams

Thanks for the help guys.  I don't deserve it - backup add-in is available.  I just forgot to monitor it. 

Happy2Play

Thanks for the help guys.  I don't deserve it - backup add-in is available.  I just forgot to monitor it. 

Sure you do.  There is a guide for manual backup and it is wrong if this process doesn't work.  So we just have to find out were the disconnect is.

• Like 1