Spotify account integrated in emby music/kodi music

skank

I'm looking to have my music collection from spotify inside my emby music. (even with kodi then)

I would love if this is implemented.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
skank

@@Luke , i know you think its a great idea lol, but with ideas... we dont come far.

Do you know if it comes, or not? Or it is planned or not?

• 2 weeks later...
Sven

You can integrate Spotify. You can do everything. But you can't start playing a song or something like that.

So what's than the added value to integrate Spotify? Just that you can see your playlists and add items to that list... ?

Or....

nxenos83

It looks like Spotify has a Web player, which indicates that there might be a way to pull in Spotify play lists as virtual items in emby, and maybe be able to request the Url to the stream.

I'll have some time next week to look into this.

@@Luke, Am I off base here in thinking that Spotify could be created as a channel and we would be able to launch Spotify stream through emby clients? I can take a swing at making a plugin, unless you thinks it's impossible, violates any terms that would prevent it from being added to the catalogue, or if there's already a skilled emby dev working on this.

Nobody is currently working on this and I think it's a great idea as long as Spotify allows this through their API. As long as you are staying within Spotify API terms of use, then it's fine with us.

Please note, channel plugins currently cannot create playlists, just media, but I can help expand that.

nxenos83

Thanks Luke. I'll familarize myself with the Spotify API and terms of use. If no issue there I'll look to get started this weekend. 

I'll practice with creating just the songs through the plugin and will reach out to you on how to move forward with creating playlists.

nxenos83

I'm not a regualr spotify user and don't have a premium subscription. 

It doesn't appear that a single user is allowed to have multiple devices streaming music at the same time. Can someone confrim? For users of the Kodi Add-On, are you able to play music from multiple devices at the same time?

FYI on the progress I made last night: Just about finished the setup process to allow emby to get user data, and now am looking at how to get the music stream. Spotify's libspotify binary looks to be no longer supported by spotify (Kodi Add-ons that I've looked at are using this library), but it requires premium subscription -- I'll look into signing up for a trial subscription to see if I can get that working. For folks running Emby on Windows, it looks we could control the spotify desktop app through emby -- haven't confirmed how to pass the music stream from that app to emby. 

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I'm not a regualr spotify user and don't have a premium subscription. 

It doesn't appear that a single user is allowed to have multiple devices streaming music at the same time. Can someone confrim? For users of the Kodi Add-On, are you able to play music from multiple devices at the same time?

FYI on the progress I made last night: Just about finished the setup process to allow emby to get user data, and now am looking at how to get the music stream. Spotify's libspotify binary looks to be no longer supported by spotify (Kodi Add-ons that I've looked at are using this library), but it requires premium subscription -- I'll look into signing up for a trial subscription to see if I can get that working. For folks running Emby on Windows, it looks we could control the spotify desktop app through emby -- haven't confirmed how to pass the music stream from that app to emby. 

correct, one device at a time. i have a family account, happy to set you up as a user while you work on it

im85288

It's probably a good idea to chat with @@marcelveldt as he made the Kodi addon: https://github.com/marcelveldt/plugin.audio.spotify

On a related note I would say streaming is what everyone will be doing soon (both music and movies/tv etc), the days when steams were low quality and took long to load etc are gone now that the Internet is fast enough. This can be confirmed by seeing how formats such as HDR are readily available via Netflix/Amazon and for anyone UK based by the announcement from Sky that Sky Q (and therefore 4K etc) will be available via a streaming box from next year. So to summarise...the future is streaming, sonarr, radarr etc have had their time :)

nxenos83

It's probably a good idea to chat with @@marcelveldt as he made the Kodi addon: https://github.com/marcelveldt/plugin.audio.spotify

I had looked into this plugin and it is relying on libspotify.dll which is officially deprecated and according to https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify "LibSpotify has been considered deprecated since 2015 and will be shut down in 2017"

I'll reach out to marcelveldt to see if he has any transition plan in place. 

• 2 weeks later...
marcelveldt

I'll reach out to marcelveldt to see if he has any transition plan in place. 

Yes, I have but there is no other solution... I migrated all library functions to the new web api but there is no alternative for playback. For that we still have to rely on the good old libspotify

Spaceboy

On a related note I would say streaming is what everyone will be doing soon (both music and movies/tv etc), the days when steams were low quality and took long to load etc are gone now that the Internet is fast enough. This can be confirmed by seeing how formats such as HDR are readily available via Netflix/Amazon and for anyone UK based by the announcement from Sky that Sky Q (and therefore 4K etc) will be available via a streaming box from next year. So to summarise...the future is streaming, sonarr, radarr etc have had their time :)

i disagree, there is a place for both. You only have to look at the amount of movies and series removed from Netflix each month to know that these services can't be relied upon
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
marcelveldt

quick update. I've recently switched my Spotify Kodi addon to the new opensource spotify SDK, librespot to handle the playback.

It is a grey area but Spotify has stated (not offifically) that they will accept this opensource project as long as it is not used to abuse the spotify services.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...