What is the hostname?

jezzbennett

jezzbennett

This probably sounds really stupid, but I have just installed the Win 8.1 app on my surface RT and on the opening set-up screen I am asked for Hostname and Port. The only problem is that I have no idea what 'hostname' is.

I have MB3 server on a desktop on my home network and I am trying to connect to it over the local network (not via internet) via Wi-Fi.

Can someone give me a pointer as to where I can find the hostname? I have tried "localhost:8096/mediabrowser" but to no avail.

I guess it will be the same issue on my Windows Phone too?

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

BATTLE DONKEY

Hostname should be the same name u gave ur desktop pc.

I'm not at home right now to see how to find that out if u dont know it so maybe someone else can give u better instructions on finding it

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY

7illusions

Hostname is the computers network-name or ip.

Easiest way to find out is to do the following.

1. Start a cmd prompt on the desktop-machine.

2. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter.

3. Look for IPV4, the ip you're looking for most likely starts with 192.168.

4. Enter that ip into the host field in the app

SilentAssassin

It would be best to use the host name instead of IP in case his IP changes. To view your PC Name (host name) in Win 8 bring out the charms bar and click the search button and type in view your pc name, it show return one option. Select that and you will see your PC name listed at the top.

If your desktop running MB server is not running Win 8 follow this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-computer-name#1TC=windows-7

Edited by SilentAssassin

jezzbennett

Thanks SilentAssasin and 7illusions. I have done both the things you suggest. I have tried putting the IP address and the computer name in the hostname field and I still get the error saying "Hostname not recognised. Please check the name is correct and try again." Any other suggestions?

• 1 year later...
Dugong

I have the same problem. It comes and goes. Everything is fine on the host machine but none of my devices can find the server

HTPC23

Running into this issue now on my HTPC which is running MB Server along with the Windows App.  Put in the correct ip address or computer name and it doesn't work.  The server doesn't even show up under the detected server settings.  It's running fine on another desktop of mine and if I go to the login screen on that desktop the MB Server shows up under detected server. 

Is there maybe a known issue of running MB Server and the Windows 8.1 app on the same box?