Beta - Playback Issue

weas98

I have noticed on some of the movies/ tv shows there is no sound. The video is playing at the correct speed but no sound. Other videos work fine.

Some background. I'm using Connect. All the videos worked perfectly fine on the Regular Emby App until I originally downloaded the Beta. I couldn't get into the Beta originally until today. After originally downloading the Beta some videos on Regular Emby App started playing in Fast Forward. I deleted both Apps, factory reset the Roku but wouldn't fix the FF issue on the Regular Emby App. Today I D/L the updated Beta and the same videos that play on the FF on the Regular App play at normal speed but no sound on the Beta. I've tested on Chrome and IOS app and these videos play normally.

Just for testing, what about this app?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

This is a community app based on the older official app. You can load this app alongside the other 2. All 3 on the homescreen. Does the blue neon app play correctly? On your roku main settings, what is your roku hdmi setting set to? What is your audio set to (automatic or stereo)?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention that I tried that leu-neon app and the same videos played in FF.

The HDMI setting is currently on Auto-Detect. Audio is Automatic. Display is 1080p HD TV.

Forgot to mention that I tried that leu-neon app and the same videos played in FF.

The HDMI setting is currently on Auto-Detect. Audio is Automatic. Display is 1080p HD TV.

Turn off the TV, then let it come back on. Ive had this happen and even rebooting the roku didnt fix it. All the sounds played with a higher octave ie faster than normal. The regular roku clicks as you navigate will sound odd. Turn off TV and back on solved it for me.

If this doesnt work, turn your roku to stereo on the audio setting on the roku. After doing this, you have to reboot the roku. Then turn off TV and back on after roku is rebooted. This should make the hdmi handshake occur correctly after.

If stereo works, the setup may not have surround sound, and isnt reporting its capabilities over the hdmi. That means you cannot use auto on the hdmi. It needs to be told what to be. If the TV has dolby, choose dolby, if it has dolby digital plus, choose dolby+, if it has DTS too choose dolby+ DTS. Do not use auto for hdmi as it will always work flaky. You can use auto on the audio setting if you choose something other than auto on the hdmi setting.

After all these tests you should be able to figure out what is causing it. It isnt the apps fault keep in mind, it is the handshake between roku and TV/soundbar.

Edited by speechles

The installation of the new app will have no effect on the other ones.

I couldn't get into the Beta originally until today. ..

That is the key statement.  I'll bet you a $1 that your Roku updated to 7.5 firmware last night...

I originally couldn't get into the Beta because of the "connect" issue.

Im running software version 7.5 build 4099-24. I checked this morning and those videos are playing the same as what was stated in the OP.

The fact you are seeing weird behavior in all three apps points to something with the videos themselves.  Can you provide a sample?

For example. Office Space, Bad Moms and Trolls play without sound on the Emby Beta. The Secret Life of Pets, Deep Water Horizon and Always Sunny in Philadelphia work normally. When playing these videos through Emby on Chrome and Emby IOS app, they all work normally.

Could it be how the file is named that is causing this issue?

Edited by weas98

@@weas98 Use the blue neon app, and do not use automatic-detection.

What happens if you "force transcoding"? After it starts the video and it plays odd, fast-fwd a tiny bit, and start playing again. This fixes it somehow as this has happened to me.

Next try "force directstream" and see what happens. If it plays weird, again fast-fwd a tiny bit and start again. But the issue will be, now you have no sound.

Is there are any difference between the two play methods?

The official and blue neon app are transcoding the file. The new beta app is not. Hence it does not have sound. The clues are all there. Just need you to confirm by using the two force ways above.

Note: how you name the file is not important at all.

Edited by speechles

I mean can you dropbox or otherwise provide an actual file that is exhibiting this problem so that I can see if I can reproduce it?

@@ebr I put the file in my Dropbox. Let me know who to share it with.

I have attached the details of the file from Emby.

post-179075-0-71930800-1484605303_thumb.png

Edited by weas98

@@weas98 what about my post above? Did you try forcing things?

The audio is aac 5.1 as suspected.

In the official app, aac is limited to 2.0 on all devices.

In the blue neon app, it is detected on the device how many channels to support. Which it sounds like it properly detected 2.0 aac channels. This is why both the official and blue neon transcode. The new app isnt properly reading aac audio channels and setting a channel count limit. Instead it tries to pass-through aac in 5.1 directly.

Realize, every single time you change the hdmi settings on the roku, you must reboot the roku for those changes to have any effect. Its annoying for sure. I had my roku stuck in that state for awhile. Chipmunk sound(fast pitched), and skipping video. Demonic sound(low pitched), and fast moving video. It wouldnt play sound at the right pitch, or video at the correct framerate. I solved it by choosing dolby+ for hdmi, and then rebooting the roku. Once the roku came on, I turned off the TV then turned it back on. Using auto on the hdmi setting is broken on both my roku3 and rokuUltra.

In the blue neon app, choose "device info" button from the options row. What does your [Audio Decode Info] section look like.

966570fb6053b798d6a273464bcd0d2d.jpg

The above shows my ultra supports dd+(eac3), dd(ac3), and aac with 6(5.1) channels

Edited by speechles

@@speechles - I've tried using the blue neon app:

"force transcoding" - the video plays in fast forward without any sound...exactly like the original emby app

"force directstream" -the video plays at normal speed without any sound...exactly the the Beta

post-179075-0-32652000-1484612033_thumb.jpg

Edited by weas98

If you could pm @@speechles and @@ebr the dropbox link to the file we can both test on our devices. I am suspect though, this is unique to your roku. Have you tried to do a roku system update? What firmware version is your roku on? Go to settings >> system >> about to find the firmware version.

Edit: yeah in your screenshot AAC is definitely only 2 channels supported. This is the same problem I had and I fixed it. If you choose Stereo for hdmi, and leave audio on auto, then reboot the roku. Once the roku reboots, turn off the TV, wait a bit, then turn back on. After this, if your TV supports surround change the hdmi to dolby, dolby+ or dolby+ dts and reboot the roku again. This is how I solved the issue when my roku had the problem. I cannot use auto on hdmi. My roku ultra has hdmi on dolby+ and audio on auto.

Edited by speechles

I have PM'ed @@speechles and @@ebr the dropbox link

This is a brand new Roku. I bought one about a week ago and when this problem began I returned it and got a new Roku but it has the same issue.

Version 7.5 build 4099-24. Model 3600X - Roku Stick

Edited by weas98

The weird audio problems are something along the lines of what Speechles is trying to explain but I've fixed the general audio not playing problem for the next beta.  Thanks for the sample.

I spoke to Roku on this issue and they first said my TV doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus and that I would need to get a new TV or a receiver that supports this format.  I then was able to test the problem video with AAC 5.1 directly from my Drop Box on the Roku and it worked perfectly fine on my TV.  I spoke to Roku again and they insisted this is not a Roku issue and was an issue with the Channel since I am unable to recreate the issue with any other applications.

So I am back here again asking for help.  Is this an Emby Issue, Roku Issue or TV issue because it doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus.  And if it is a TV or Roku issue why was I able to play the video on my Drop Box?

@@ebr - The video plays in fast forward without any sound.  This only happens with AAC 5.1 layouts.  

Okay.  I cannot reproduce that with the file you sent me.  It plays normally with sound.

Odd that roku calls it dolby digital plus. This means whoever answered that question has no idea WTF they are talking about. It is almost as if that is a scripted answer roku support replies with. Dolby digital plus is eac3. Dolby digital is ac3. You need to explain to roku support the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground. Haw

Level 31 for the video.. What is the refframes? You can see this using the blue neon app. Choose the show overview/info button from an items detail screen. If not taken directly to media information, choose it on the overview screen. How many refframes is the video stream (your image doesnt say)? The issue is when transcoding. What version is your ffmpeg? Are you windows or *nix flavored?

Edited by speechles

@@speechles - I attached all the information from the blue neon Emby app. Also if I force direct stream movie plays at correct speed without sound. Forcing direct play and transcode play in Fast Forward.

post-179075-14849553324783_thumb.jpgpost-179075-14849553434028_thumb.jpgpost-179075-14849553529941_thumb.jpgpost-179075-1484955362571_thumb.jpgpost-179075-14849553744469_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap.. I remember this now. You sent me a dropbox link already. It was the trolls movie. Yep.

Problem is that damn dropbox link gets to 50% or 56% or 65% and speed goes to shit. Then I see, sweet, it failed ... WTF .. Why can't the internet shit just work. Scream at the dog real loud and blame it. Get away from me.. ARGHH.. Tried a bunch of times to grab that trolls thing but deemed it impossible on my measly 3mbit download speed. Which is odd, because I grab much larger things from usenet and torrents just fine and dandy as if it was cotton candy. Delicious. But yeah.. I remember this..

So I see, indeed there is no refframes reported. Now I am worried it is the dreaded 4 refframes and somehow it just isn't showing in media details. Maybe the file just needs to be refreshed? Can you refresh that file from the web interface and see if it gives a reference frame count after that? Do any refframes show on the web client for that trolls movie before you do this? It shouldn't because then it would show everywhere else, but maybe you have ghosts in your machine? Maybe? Doubtful.. Seriously curious what the refframes are for that movie..

@@ebr Can you probe that file and find out what the refframes are? I am assuming you were successful in getting the full file.

Edited by speechles