IMDB IBN People Downloader V2

radeon

radeon

IMDB IBN People Downloader V2

imdbibn.jpg

The IMDB IBN Tool will download People Images where available on IMDB to your local media library in the correct format and location required by the MediaBrowser 3 Server.

This is an external tool that runs completely separately from MB3 and is not endorsed by the creators of MB3 in any way.

Purchase & Download

You can get your hands on the IMDB IBN People Downloader V2 at http://www.ballingtons.com/products

Support

For support please email support@ballingtons.com

Installation

Simply download the zip and extract it to a convienient location.
Double click the the exe and enter your Licence Key into the dialog as shown below.
1.png

Select the the path to your ImagesByName folder as shown below
(Normally located at C:\Users\{your_username}\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName)
2.png

The Eventlog will apear on screen and show the search and download of missing people images (your time to make a cup of tea!)
3.png

Edited by radeon
  • Like 4

radeon

How is this different from what MBS does anyways? I thought MBS is already downloading actor images?

Hey @@steve1977,

MBS does download actor images, but not from IMDB and the amount available on IMDB is may more expansive.

• Like 1

newfiend

Something that should be mentioned about this though, if you have a small SSD as an OS drive and your imagesbyname folder is on that drive running this utility it will increase the size of your file a bit. You may want to consider moving the "imagesbyname" folder to a larger drive if possible and also make the changes in MB3 Server to reflect the new location of the folder. I noticed after running this that the folder size increased a bit and now my SSD is almost full.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Edited by newfiend
  • Like 1

radeon

Something that should be mentioned about this though, if you have a small SSD as an OS drive and your imagesbyname folder is on that drive running this utility it will increase the size of your file a bit. You may want to consider moving the images byname folder to a larger drive if possible and also make the changes in MB3 Server to reflect the new location of the folder. I noticed after running this that the folder size increased a bit and now my SSD is almost full.

Very good point good sir!

• Like 1

trusselo

a setting for multi-threaded searching/downloading would really speed things up. 12 hours and its @ 17,000 / 39,000.

MCM has a similar feature and severely cuts processing time of long scripts just like this one. I have a 6 core processor. i can spare some cycles.

radeon

a setting for multi-threaded searching/downloading would really speed things up. 12 hours and its @ 17,000 / 39,000.

MCM has a similar feature and severely cuts processing time of long scripts just like this one. I have a 6 core processor. i can spare some cycles.

Whilst a good suggestion, I imposed the delay because i was having issues with users' IP's seemingly being blacklisted on IMDB for hitting the site so fast and hard. If you notice in the log, its sleeping for 1 second between each person cycle so having the app multi-threaded would still have the delay.

You can actually remove the delay by putting a certain setting into the config file and set it to 0ms which speeds things up no end.

I personally haven't had any issues with black listings but one in particular was completely blocked. Good job they were on a dynamic IP tho!

Sorry Rad, but I modified the config file adding

[sLEEPING]
Sleeping=500ms

but doesn't work for me.

Maybe sintax problem?

Cheers

radeon

Sorry Rad, but I modified the config file adding

[sLEEPING]

Sleeping=500ms

but doesn't work for me.

Maybe sintax problem?

Cheers

Hey, @

Yep, thats not quite right, almost there, but not quite!

[config]

delay=0

that will get you no delay at all. Use at your own risk.

• Like 2

I'm confused.. Several HTPC solutions use IMDB as a metadata source. Is there an issue with this that is not relevant to tmdb?

The plugin is external to MB3, and so is no different to me using for instance Ember Media Manager or a raft of other media managers.

One thing I do know, (and I hate to say this) but you need to keep things on a professional footing - you are going to need to compete directly with the likes of Plex and holding slanging matches in public probably isn't conducive to improving your perception with the public.

• Like 1

I'm confused.. Several HTPC solutions use IMDB as a metadata source. Is there an issue with this that is not relevant to tmdb?

Yes there is and that is my only point. Tmdb is a free open API and IMDB is a paid commercial service.

Well I am sure that IMDB (Amazon) could have stopped freeloading access to their data by now if they wanted to. I used Mediaportal since 2009 until I moved to MB3, and I utilised IMDB as my sole metadata provider for all that time, along with thousands of others.

I rebuilt and regenerated so many times in that period (yes, I'm a tinkerer!) that I thought I would have run into issues, but never did.

Anyway, as above if your metadata providers are not up to scratch then people can just use external media managers, but then that sort of circumnavigates the all encompassing nature of MB3 :-)

Personally I'd like to see an option for IMDB metadata retrieval in MB3. What about IMDB Pro? Does that alter the landscape any?

Sorry, but they charge way too much for access to their data for us to ever be able to use it.  $15k/yr.

Scraping data from web pages is very difficult to stop.  You see by them blacklisting IPs that they are at least attempting to but I'm sure it is a losing battle.

Just FYI - I have contacted IMDb again to see if they will grant us permission to use their API.  We have been ignored in the past but we may as well give it another shot.

• Like 1

zachmo826

I'm having an issue getting this running on a NAS. I have my folders mapped as network drives, and mediabrowser using the UNC path, but I don't see the mapped drive in the browse for folder screen, and it's throwing errors when I try to access the drive through the network section of the interface. any thoughts?

gillmacca

I'm having an issue getting this running on a NAS. I have my folders mapped as network drives, and mediabrowser using the UNC path, but I don't see the mapped drive in the browse for folder screen, and it's throwing errors when I try to access the drive through the network section of the interface. any thoughts?

You need to point it at you IBN folder, if that is any help

zachmo826

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I'm running this program on the same machine as Mediabrowser, but I have my IBN folder set up to keep information on my NAS. It's the NAS that I can't get Radeon's tool to see

radeon

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I'm running this program on the same machine as Mediabrowser, but I have my IBN folder set up to keep information on my NAS. It's the NAS that I can't get Radeon's tool to see

No problem! :-D

Just specify the path in the config file manually, just open the config and past this:

[IBNDIR]
key=\\path\to\your\ibn

and just make sure you DONT have a trailing backslash at the end.

:-D

newfiend

Hey Radeon can I add a small feature request for this? I started the app and it's working great, but it takes quite a long time to dl all the images. When it finishes can it display a info page that says how many images it downloaded and that it completed successfully or not etc? I set it up to run overnight but I'm not sure if it completed or if my htpc went to sleep and it terminated. When I woke up my htpc was asleep. After wake there was nothing on the desktop and the program had closed so I don't know what the status is and if it finished or didn't etc.

Thanks

newfiend

Edited by newfiend

radeon

Hey Radeon can I add a small feature request for this? I started the app and it's working great, but it takes quite a long time to dl all the images. When it finishes can it display a info page that says how many images it downloaded and that it completed successfully or not etc? I set it up to run overnight but I'm not sure if it completed or if my htpc went to sleep and it terminated. When I woke up my htpc was asleep. After wake there was nothing on the desktop and the program had closed so I don't know what the status is and if it finished or didn't etc.

Thanks

newfiend

Very good point! However, the log it outputs does give you the most part of that information, it just doesn't summarise it at the end. I can certainly add it as a summary to the end of the log tho. I dont really want to make it a dialog at the end as that would prevent people using the tool on a schedule etc.

• Like 1

newfiend

Very good point! However, the log it outputs does give you the most part of that information, it just doesn't summarise it at the end. I can certainly add it as a summary to the end of the log tho. I dont really want to make it a dialog at the end as that would prevent people using the tool on a schedule etc.

How about a Menu option to display the event log (or not) at finish so someone could enable or disable it? That way at least there would be an option for people who want to run on a schedule and those that don't. Thanks!

newfiend~