Emby Sever metadata

ryzilla
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ryzilla

Hi Guys,

Few question i have about the Emby server setup i have searched the forums for and cant find a definitive answer and was wondering if you guys can lead me in the correct path.

• Does moving the metadata location to folders have a performance hit? the reason i am asking is i copy movies to my hard drive for the shack that has no internet so just need the metadata etc.
  • If so, does it populate actor images as well into each folder, assuming yes you will end up with 200 of the rocks face.
  • on the above two questions does Emby still use the central cache folder in the c:\users\app... as thats on a SSD and assume would make it all run faster if it used that copy.

All going well all my collections are setup as e:\tv1 d:\tv2 etc even with follow control of the folders of the local user emby wont write the metadata to them, do they need to be shared as \\tv1 \\tv2 for this function to work.

thanks for looking over this

Cheers

R

Edited by ryzilla

Hi, it really depends on the performance of the drives where the metadata will be stored but in general there is no performance difference. 

And no, people images are always stored centrally so you will not end up with duplication.

ryzilla

Thanks Luke,

Yeah the OS drive is SSD the rest are either backup drives or WD reds. Is there anyway to have both? so Emby use all the central location one and then also keep a copy in each media folder.

• Solution

Just enable saving metadata to media folders. That's basically the same as having both.

• Like 1

ryzilla

Champion, and i assume i need to readd the media folders as they using direct disc access not smb shares as i cant get it to write otherwise (even when local user has full control)

ryzilla

Ok all working as planned now, Had to share them via SMB for it to write to the folders correctly. Not sure why as it has same permission as it is shared now.

Thanks again for the info Luke.

ryzilla

FYI luke dont know if its my-setup or not but after moving the library from E:\ to \\mce\TV and storing the metadata in folders i have noticed a huge decrease in performance in the load time of ET and the generation of folder images within theater itself.

Anyone else see this?

It's a whole new library so the apps have to build up their image caches again. Just give it time.

• Like 1